PDA

View Full Version : Okay boys I found a truck not a 4x4 thou

Gravel Rat
01-06-2010, 04:19 AM
The truck is a 2007 F-550 XL 2wd 6.0 Automatic the truck has a 19,000lb gvw. It has really low kilometers 17,000 or 10,500 miles. It was a rental I think so it wasn't used much. The 07s are supposed to have the best of the 6.0s. It will be my first ever automatic truck.

Okay here is the reason why I'am considering it. If I get a trade in value on my 03 F-450 as a cab and chassis for 14,000 I would be getting the F-550 for 16,500 before tax. Now that is one h*ll of a good deal its a deal that I can't pass up. Any 4x4 F-550 I have found in Alberta has over 100,000kms or 62,000 miles for 25-30,000 dollars.

My current truck is a 03 it is out of warranty the truck is 7 years old already do I want to take a chance with a 6.0. Yes mine has been good so far but who knows.

I don't have enough payload with the 450 the 550 should cure that. I really want to try get something working this year and try get more soil deliveries and my trucking work going again.

Yes I will have some traction issues but I think it maybe time to add a small machine to my services. A machine could pack the stuff to my truck instead of me hand loading the truck.

I really didn't push my services because my current truck has another problem. The d*mn thing powers out anytime I get a load on the truck and try get out of a spot. I hope the torqshift cures that the 6spd isn't the best match behind the 6.0 when it comes to getting out of tough spots.

When I was doing some hauling out of my neighbours the truck would power out getting up their driveway. The F-450 has 4:30 axle gears I think they are too tall.

I'am going to wait back and see what the salesman says and gives me a ball park price. Off to the bank I go to see the loans manager there shouldn't be a problem getting a loan for 20 grand.

The truck market is dead so there is some deals out there the sales person is willing to budge.

Have to see what happens :drinkup:

Junior M
01-06-2010, 06:43 AM
I still think your making a mistake getting a 2wd truck.

But I like your ideas and goals. Get after it GR! :cool2:

DirtMerchant
01-06-2010, 07:01 AM
This site is like your minds blogspot eh?

AEL
01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Didnt you make a post not to long ago saying you need 4x4? I agree with Juinor, you are going to wish you had 4x4.

catnip
01-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hold out for 4x4.

ksss
01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
You did not find a truck, you found an 8K pound paperweight. Don't eveeeen think about buying this truck. If it is not a 4X4 don't even tempt yourself. I don't want to here again how you slipped off the road and into the abyss of a ditch on the steepest driveway this side of K2. Unfortunately those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past, are doomed to repeat them. Tah dah!:dizzy:

ksss
01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
This site is like your minds blogspot eh?

Thats pretty funny and 100% correct

Junior M
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
You did not find a truck, you found an 8K pound paperweight. Don't eveeeen think about buying this truck. If it is not a 4X4 don't even tempt yourself. I don't want to here again how you slipped off the road and into the abyss of a ditch on the steepest driveway this side of K2. Unfortunately those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past, are doomed to repeat them. Tah dah!:dizzy:
I agree..

Dont buy it just because its close to the right truck. If your goin to do something, do it right the first time so your not going through this again in a couple years.

Gravel Rat
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
You guys think the traction is going to be that bad I thought it would be better with it having a automatic because you can controll tire spin a little better.

They have a F-550 4x4 it is a 2006 but I would have to shorten the frame 3 feet. The wheelbase is 201 I need 165.

I'am having second thoughts because they looked at the pictures and only said 10 grand trade in. I'am not getting a good deal and it maybe less if they look at the truck and say no not worth it.

I still have the 03 F-550 4x4 it has a 7.3 in it but the d*mn 4R100 transmission is making me hedge on it. It is why that truck isn't selling I think it has transmission troubles. If it had a 6spd I would have bought it. This truck has 120,000kms and want 21,000 for it.

Here is the 03 F-550

Mr. Rain
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Like you said, there are deals out there. But if they already have deals on their lots, you are most certainly not going to get anywhere near retail on a trade allowance.

With all the extremes you've described that you have to deal with in your work, I'd agree with the others that a 2WD would be a regrettable decision.

ksss
01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Like you said, there are deals out there. But if they already have deals on their lots, you are most certainly not going to get anywhere near retail on a trade allowance.

With all the extremes you've described that you have to deal with in your work, I'd agree with the others that a 2WD would be a regrettable decision.

I am not sure what drops in value faster, a rock or a 2X4 pickup.

Gravel Rat
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I think I will try sell the truck I have privately I should get more than 10 grand for it.

Have to keep searching.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-06-2010, 03:00 PM
sounds like a plan

scagtiger
01-06-2010, 03:04 PM
there are plenty of 06-07 450s and 550s out there for good deals... i just bought one back in april and paid 25k for with 27,000 miles 4x4 crew cab and im in the process of finding another one right now

Caterkillar
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Do you have enough work to justify a truck? Have you ever made even enough in one month to cover the truck payment?

Gravel Rat
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
My truck is my daily driver aswell as a work truck. I drive the truck to my full time job and I get part time jobs with the truck. If I buy the 03 F-550 my payment would be 400 a month.

If I buy a 06-07 truck I would be back up to 760 a month like I'am paying. I only have two payments left on my current truck it is why I'am looking for something else.

The 06-07 F-550 4x4s are very rare to find if you find one plan on paying 30 grand.

The 03 with the 7.3 has a more reliable engine but a chitty transmission.

Do I want to take a chance on another 6.0 I had good luck with one the next one could be a nightmare.

Ya the 7.3 has less power I can deal with that.

Just wondering about the 4R100 trans yes I can have a beefed up one for 4 grand.

Yes I should be buying a 4wheeldrive h*ll even if the transfercase is only engaged once a month its probably worth it. For 70% of the jobs 2wd does what it needs to.

Caterkillar
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
My truck is my daily driver aswell as a work truck. I drive the truck to my full time job and I get part time jobs with the truck. If I buy the 03 F-550 my payment would be 400 a month.

If I buy a 06-07 truck I would be back up to 760 a month like I'am paying. I only have two payments left on my current truck it is why I'am looking for something else.

The 06-07 F-550 4x4s are very rare to find if you find one plan on paying 30 grand.

The 03 with the 7.3 has a more reliable engine but a chitty transmission.

Do I want to take a chance on another 6.0 I had good luck with one the next one could be a nightmare.

Ya the 7.3 has less power I can deal with that.

Just wondering about the 4R100 trans yes I can have a beefed up one for 4 grand.

Yes I should be buying a 4wheeldrive h*ll even if the transfercase is only engaged once a month its probably worth it. For 70% of the jobs 2wd does what it needs to.

You did not answer my question.

scagtiger
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
why do you need that size truck for part time side jobs?

Shrekish
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Well GR at least you will be able to haul a couple thousand pounds more of what ya allready aint haulin. Sounds like you just want a new truck.

Caterkillar
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Well GR at least you will be able to haul a couple thousand pounds more of what ya allready aint haulin. Sounds like you just want a new truck.

lol... right on

1993lx172
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
GR:

On the first page you said that they had an 06 with 4x4 but you needed to shorten the bed a little bit, I'd go with that one. It may take a little work on your part but if the price is good go for it.

I maybe engage my 4 wheel drive once every few months, but I'd rather have it and not need it a lot than to need it and not have it. You said that 70% of your jobs don't require 4wd, you are leaving the other 30% on the table. That to me represents too many missed opportunities to consider going with two wheel drive.

treadlite
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
GR again you muse and whine and don't make a decision..... KSSS is dead on, a 2WD truck is worse than useless unless you live where it never snows and you never climb a hill. Having the ability to engage the 4x4 is worth the price of admission. Even if you only use it once a month, it's worth it. It allows you to crawl out of a potentially bad situation instead of ripping and tearing with the 2WD. Get spinning one set of tires on your 2WD and then have them grab the pavement when you have a load..... the cost to repair the rear end you just tore up will pay for the 4x4.
Bite the bullet, head to alberta and buy one of the oilfield trucks that's been spec'd and built for use as a work truck, not a glorified delivery wagon. Spending the extra money once on the proper truck will save you money in the long run, not cost you.

And best of all, if you do, the rest of us won't have to listen to you whine and snivel for the next few years.

DirtMerchant
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey Gravel Rat, it's time to get over it, go find whatever girl rejected you in prepubescent years. Get your balls back, man up and buy a 4x4.

Shrekish
01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Or he could trade the truck buy a car and move out of mom's basement.

DirtMerchant
01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Or he could trade the truck buy a car and move out of mom's basement.

WOA

Baby steps dude, baby steps.

Shadetree Ltd
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
GR,

The 03 price is a bit of premium due to the relatively low k and the 7.3 You were playing a much riskier game with the early 6.0 than you would the 03 and auto. My tranny lasted 260,000 K, this is on the FIRST (early 99) that was sold in the province of BC that had the notorious terrible "marbles in a coffee can" torque convertor. The 7.3 with 4" exhaust, AFE intake and 3 stage superchip (set at 120hp) blows the doors of my stock 05 6.0 F350 while getting 20% better mileage. The mileage would be better if I didn't like driving it so much. If you lower the payment by over 300 a month in a little over a year you will have saved enough to put away until, if ever, to rebuild the auto.

DirtMerchant
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
GR,

The 03 price is a bit of premium due to the relatively low k and the 7.3 You were playing a much riskier game with the early 6.0 than you would the 03 and auto. My tranny lasted 260,000 K, this is on the FIRST (early 99) that was sold in the province of BC that had the notorious terrible "marbles in a coffee can" torque convertor. The 7.3 with 4" exhaust, AFE intake and 3 stage superchip (set at 120hp) blows the doors of my stock 05 6.0 F350 while getting 20% better mileage. The mileage would be better if I didn't like driving it so much. If you lower the payment by over 300 a month in a little over a year you will have saved enough to put away until, if ever, to rebuild the auto.

I see all your power strokes everyday when I drive home. So jealous.
And I'm not creepy, were just neighbors.

stuvecorp
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM

That made me laugh.:laugh:

Shadetree Ltd
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Small world I guess. This year the driveway gets realigned and gated so they will disappear from the road.

DirtMerchant
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Small world I guess. This year the driveway gets realigned and gated so they will disappear from the road.

Nice, for awhile you seemed like you were running short on space. I used to work at landscape depot. Tony/Anthony/The nerd who talks too much is my technically my brother.

bobcat_ron
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Stick with 2wd, my mechanic fixes a lot of front ends from people who only use their 4wd once a month or so, he was the reason I never bought a 4x4 F450 and I never will either, it's not worth the loss in GVW and extra wear.

stuvecorp
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
If you have survived all these years with the truck you have, why not run it a little longer? I would think your truck is a safer bet than getting another used truck. If things are slow, bank some money for now.

Shadetree Ltd
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Nice, for awhile you seemed like you were running short on space

I let the father in law drive the burgandy Dodge when I don't need it for snow.

Stick with 2wd, my mechanic fixes a lot of front ends from people who only use their 4wd once a month or so, he was the reason I never bought a 4x4 F450 and I never will either, it's not worth the loss in GVW and extra wear.

That is because he is a mechanic, the other 98% of people that don't need the extra work done don't see him :). I don't have any excessive bills from any front end work due to 4X4, I even have reasonable front end expenses for snowplowing trucks. I would only consider in a high mileage situation or always towing (such as Ron).

fool32696
01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Keep your perfectly good truck (than you can never find work for anyways) and save up the $700 per month that you would be making in payments. January 2011 you can get your own place! It's bad enough that so many profitable companies waste money on unnecessary vehicle purchases, but you're just digging yourself deeper in a hole.

YellowDogSVC
01-06-2010, 11:33 PM
4x4 only .

Gravel Rat
01-07-2010, 05:00 AM
After getting kicked in the balls on trade in values the F-450 I have will be mine for some time to come.

I'am going to try find parts to convert it to a 4x4 supposidy its a easy job to do just need everything to do so. Bolt in the Dana 60 that is used in the 450-550 trucks from 99-04. The transfercase is the same one used in the F-250-350 trucks. I think the driveshafts are larger thou in the 450-550.

For now its staying as a 2wd it maybe time to look at getting a small skid steer (tracks) something that has a operating weight of no more than 2000lbs. It would be something that I could move on a small single axle trailer or a small tandem axle trailer. The heaviest weight I would need to lift would be 1000lbs.

The trailer has to be small because where I go there isn't many places to turn a truck and trailer around. Not many places to park a trailer when your working on a job site. Most places you would have to push the trailer into a roadside ditch to get it off the road.

The Detroit True trac in the diff does help alot for most places it will go. Where I have troubles is when the driveway or access road that hasn't been used for a long time.

When I talked to a few mechanics with 450-550 service trucks they say 4wheeldrive helps a little but most of the time all 4 corners sink and your stuck.

I may have to get lower gears for my current 450 the 4:30 diff gears are not low enough the truck should have the 4:88s . The 4:30s are good for on the road but sucks when you are offroad.

Haven't ever driven a 6.0 with a torqshift behind it my truck is a 6spd manual not the best match behind a 6.0. Most of the time first gear isn't low enough I have to start out in Low Low 90% of the time.

When the Detroit true trac locks up both sets of duals that sucks up the engine power. The bias on the limited slip is pretty tight its almost like a full detroit locker. I get locker steer on the highway with the True trac which is supposed to be a limited slip.

As for the 03 F-550 4x4 I said to the salesperson sorry. After reading quite afew pages of problems with the 4R100 transmission its not my cup of tea.

I have to try get some work going this year. 2009 was horrible nobody was busy. I sure the h*ll hope 2010 is better.

My gov't job is up in the air managment is on the rampage again. The gov't is broke they want to get rid of the employees with full benefits and make the higher wages. The hire new people at a lower wage scale and pay no benefits so no pension or med or dental bennys or vacations. Have to watch what I do now managment is trying to get things against you so they can give you the sack and hire cheap labour.

tnmtn
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
good decision,

Gravel Rat
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
As I previously meantioned on of my neighbours down the road had to spend 2500 or so dollars on new u joints etc for the front axle of his F-550.

The unit bearings on the 4x4 hubs are a little weaker as well because the center hole is larger to fit a axle shaft.

Funny thing with the neighbours truck he was just going to get u joints untill I was at the shop where the truck was I know the mechanics so I pulled on the bottom of the tire ball joints are shot :laugh:

Yes 4wheeldrives are more expensive if I did convert my truck it would be 2500-3000 for the front axle and 1200 for a transfercase.

I'am never in mud its not a issue around here. Soft ground can be but not too often.

My issues are dealing with the grade of the road. It could be graveled but its steep and you spin out. These places are spots where a tandem axle dump truck needs to be pushed or pulled out with a excavator.

The building supply sometimes has to use the hiab crane on the truck to push themselves back up a road. The newer tandem axle trucks have cross lock diffs and even then they need to be pushed out. Lots of places you go into with 15 ton of gravel in the truck the tires spin no in mud but can't get enough traction to climb the hill.

As I said there are places with concrete driveways that if they are wet they are impassable even dry you can have excessive wheel spin. One of the neighbours places I won't even go down too steep the neighbours driveway beside it is nuts its even steeper.

I can't run my F-450 to max gvw with some of these places because of the conditions. A 550 with a 19,000lb gvw wouldn't be possible around here a 550 with a 17,500 is maxed with the braking power these trucks have.

I have had my F-450 at 16,500lbs I have brandnew brakes on all 4 corners of my truck and the braking was just enough.

I think I will add some timbrens to my F-450 it is a little undersprung when your carrying 7000lbs.

Shadetree Ltd
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I would bag before timbrens, the bags are just to help support the weight not carry all of it pacbrake.com I have a set of rear timbrens in a pickup and the ride became awful. Are you able to just install a transfer case? Wouldn't that allow you to put the tranny into 4 lo which would eliminate the tire spin you are complaining about?

AEL
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Why would you buy a tracked skidsteer if aparently all around you is just rock?

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 03:18 AM
I would need a tracked skid steer for the stability and traction. If I bought a machine it would be used in peoples yards etc. I wouldn't be around any blasted rock that would damage rubber tracks.

The work for a skid steer is very little thou the machine I buy would be to make some of my jobs easier. Like carrying stuff to the truck like brush which is a b*tch to load. You go into area and start cutting it with chainsaws or stihl brush cutter start raking it into a big ball and keep rolling it to the truck. Then you have to pitch fork it onto the truck.

Any brush or tree branches either are burned or trucked away I always try haul it away I don't have time burning brush.

The machine would definatly need a grapple of some sort.

Wouldn't it be the way thou I think I jinxed myself saying the truck runs good now its developeda shake at a idle :cry:

Have to check it out tommorow.

ksss
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM

You guys are a geographical anomaly (name that movie). 4X4 adds what about 300 hundred pounds to a pickup. Are you runnning so close to being overloaded that you cant spare 300 pounds? Especially when you balance the benefit of having 4 wheel pulling when needed.

Extra wear? Most Fords (I don't think the newest models do but I may be wrong) still have manual hub lockout capability. There is little extra wear taking place. Is there some? Yes. Again most people in this Hemisphere and certainly those that live directly below you almost to the man would say that whatever additional upkeep which may be necessary with having 4X4 is more than offset by the added capability of the pickup. :canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
With a F-450/550 your not adding much more weight as a 4x4.

The front axle you maybe adding 150 pounds for the gear set and center chunk. The 2wd front axle in the 450/550 is made out of the same tubing as used on the Dana 60 HD. The transfercase your maybe looking at another 150lbs.

For me is is the extra loss in braking power. As I said the 04 and previous year 4x4 trucks had the smaller brakes. You need to run fully vented brake rotors on a 450/550 4x4 or you will over heat the brakes.

Where Ron lives in the Valley he would probably rarely need 4 wheeldrive unless he got into a farmers field. If I drove on nothing but asphalt it wouldn't be a problem or a place where your not dealing with horrible nasty goat trails people call a driveway.

In my case ya I do take some chances and it does bite me in the azz but you never know till you try. Getting stuck sucks but something you deal with. Then you get from the home owner wow you made it we need 4 wheeldrive to get in and out of this place.

Keep in mind I'am going into places once I go I'am on my own a tow truck isn't going to get me he is 2wd aswell. Some of these places that I have delivered too are 4-5 miles maybe more off road.

The cheapest traction aid I can get right now is tire chains I think I may buy a set of mud service tire chains and see if that makes a difference. I have the most aggressive treaded tires you can get in a 19.5 size even with 3 tons of weight over them they still spin.

Tire chains should also keep me from sliding sideways from the diff locked up it is a big problem I have. Both sides are pushing but the back of the truck walks sideways. With a open diff it doesn't happen but you just spin and dig a hole. The side that isn't spinning is holding you from sliding sideways. With my open diff trucks I had far less traction than I do now.

Where I my open diffed trucks had real troubles my current truck doesn't spin a wheel. Even with bald tires on the 450 when I first got it climbed out of spots where my previous trucks burn't the tire off. My dads old 1 ton trucks can't go where I go with my 450.

So yes I do have 50% more traction with the locked differential lots of places where my brother has to put his 3/4 ton into 4 wheel I can go and barely spin a wheel.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
How many jobsites do you guys work on where you can back a tandem axle dump truck down a new construction site with a access road steep enough if you let the tail gate dogs go the dirt would slide out of the box without even lifting the box.

Many places the driver can't get out of the truck. With the maxi brakes locked on the truck is sliding backwards down the road the tires are sliding.

The days of a easy building sites are long long gone. A landscaper or general contractor like I'am has to deal with the same thing.

Some of these new places will have to have a concrete driveway unless you want to own a 4x4 to get up and down your driveway. Blacktop isn't possible the black top roller can't climb the grade needs to be rolled down and winched back up.

Even with a concrete driveway 4 wheeldrive is still required when it rains.

mudmaker
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about re gearing your 450 if you are going to change it to a 4wd. When you are in the need for lower gearing just put it in 4 low.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 06:56 PM
When I had 4wheeldrives it was nice to have 4 wheeldrive pull it into low with the hubs unlocked and it gave you a lower gear.

I had trucks with the old 205 transfercase then they didn't have the low range like the chain drive transfercase's do.

What is low range in a NP-205 I don't think it is any lower than 2.5 to 1

With my old 79 half ton 4x4 I had I used to use the transfercase as a brownie box ie twin sticks. Truck had a NP435 4spd with the 205. I had beefed up suspension in it used to carry a cord of wood on it :laugh:

The old 300-6 didn't have enough b*lls to get the load rolling with 3:55 gears so put the transfercase in 4 low get going then shift the case into 2 high :drinkup:

Or I would get up into 4th gear with the truck in 4 low click it into 2 hi put the transmission in second and keep shifting.

ksss
01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
The NP205 is in my opinon the best, most durable transfer case ever put in a pickup.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 07:31 PM
It was only GM and Dodge kept using them up into the early 90s I think GM offered them till 88-89 and Dodge was still using them in the boxy body trucks. Ford started using the Borgwarner chaindrive in 1980.

The chaindrives are okay but you need to keep the oil changed regulary and the oil has to be kept cool.

The 205s had some drawbacks was they are heavy and they didn't offer low low ranges.

This is the next best option for todays uses if you need something tougher all gear transfercase.

www.atlas-tc.com

talus
01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
You guys are a geographical anomaly (name that movie). 4X4 adds what about 300 hundred pounds to a pickup. Are you runnning so close to being overloaded that you cant spare 300 pounds? Especially when you balance the benefit of having 4 wheel pulling when needed.

Extra wear? Most Fords (I don't think the newest models do but I may be wrong) still have manual hub lockout capability. There is little extra wear taking place. Is there some? Yes. Again most people in this Hemisphere and certainly those that live directly below you almost to the man would say that whatever additional upkeep which may be necessary with having 4X4 is more than offset by the added capability of the pickup. :canadaflag:

You can still get a Ford with the lock out hubs. I ordered mine that way in 08 and you still can do it now also. I like them as you don't need to rely on a switch Maybe the newer auto ones are better but there were times at work were I couldn't get it out or in 4x4 or the hubs would make a nasty noise driving down the road. Yes it's a pain to get out and turn them but it's fool proof.

P.S. I'll cut you some slack because you are a GM guy.:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't own a 4x4 if it didn't have hubs. I have to look at my brothers crap box Dodge Cummins with the sh*tty axle engagement that has let him down many times. GMs are just as bad with that thing that is supposed to heat up and engages the front axle.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Well a 4x4 conversion on my F-450 isn't as easy or as cheap as I thought.

I need a 4x4 spd the 2wd one isn't adaptable unless I buy the shaft and other guts and the other half of the transmission housing. A rebuilt 6spd transmission with the 4x4 housing is 3000 dollars. Used ones are non existant. A rebuilt transfercase is 2000 the front axle is another 2500. To convert my F-450 to a 4x4 is 7500 dollars so its not worth it.

So I want a 4x4 I will have to buy a 4x4 converting my truck isn't a option.

I also looked at buying a Atlas divorced transfercase it would be 2500 dollars but I would have to build custom driveshafts. Again not cheap.

Ohwell worth a try :laugh:

Swampy
01-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Hey GR just a question. Why not pay off the 450 and save some cash up for a used 4x4 F350. You know use the 450 for work and the 350 for daily/back up.

Edit if I can get my camera to upload picks to make you feel jealous of my bud's F550 4x4 7.3L that just had a heavier trans put in. He is looking to sell maybe next year.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 02:43 AM
That 2003 F-550 I mentioned is still forsale the price has dropped a person could get it a little cheaper.

It is that automatic that I don't like the idea of a 4 grand rebuild when it blows up. Wish the truck had a 6spd manual.

Junior M
01-09-2010, 09:05 AM
That 2003 F-550 I mentioned is still forsale the price has dropped a person could get it a little cheaper.

It is that automatic that I don't like the idea of a 4 grand rebuild when it blows up. Wish the truck had a 6spd manual.
How much is a swap from auto to 6spd?

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
It is expensive I have been thinking about that. I would need a new flywheel, clutch there is 1500, would need to get a pedal assembly along with a slave cylinder and master cylinder. Getting a used 6spd is the problem not many around. My brother is also looking for used 6spd for his F-350 pickup his 6spd 2nd gear is shot.

I was looking at upgraded 4R100 transmissions in Canadian prices :cry:

Shadetree Ltd
01-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Last time,

The auto is the weak point of that truck, it doesn't mean that it is total garbage guaranteed to fail. Your brother has a six speed that is down and you are conviced they are the answer? Robs Automatic Transmissions in Surrey, call him and explain what you are looking at and ask his opinion and price. I would even let you take my 350 for a run. If you were to do the tranny get a DP tuner chip for it. It has programmable settings for towing performance, economy and even settings that will help the truck downshift to help with braking.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
No I have a 6spd too in my current F-450 I like manual transmissions.

The 03 F-550 is still on my mind they are desparate to get rid of it.

Have to start my F-450 today and see if its missing again I may have injector going. If so its time to get rid of the 6.0. I'am not getting involved with the expensive replacing injectors game.

If I keep my current truck I still have the problem of it powering out in the places I go. These d*mn 6.0s if they are cooled off they don't want to run I have to put my truck on high idle to warm it up. Then when it is warm it is still a biatch to get moving.

With the 6spd there is no leway once the clutch is out the motor has to take the truck. There isn't enough start out torque to get the truck rolling it has something to do with the computer programing. Its okay if I'am in a easier spot the truck can do it. Get on a hill of any kind with a load.

When I got stuck with the loads of firewood that was the problem I was having you get going and the damn truck would bog out. Get the rpms up and then there was too much power the tires would spin. You can't crawl with this truck. This damn thing is like driving a truck with a 6/71 detroit diesel you need low gears to get the engine in its rpm range.

I drove a L9000 Ford that was like that it had a 400 Cummins but the gearing was tall get in a tough spot it bogged down.

I did get pictures of the 03 550 it is nice on the inside it is a upgraded XL it has bucket seats etc.

If the work improves and I do start getting into these new subdivisions I don't think my F-450 is going to do it. The traction wise its one problem it is powering out is the other problem.

Maybe a automatic makes a big difference behind a 6.0.

Junior M
01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
It is expensive I have been thinking about that. I would need a new flywheel, clutch there is 1500, would need to get a pedal assembly along with a slave cylinder and master cylinder. Getting a used 6spd is the problem not many around. My brother is also looking for used 6spd for his F-350 pickup his 6spd 2nd gear is shot.

I was looking at upgraded 4R100 transmissions in Canadian prices :cry:
A new flywheel isnt all that much..

And Dude, your not happy with anything.. If your gonna get what you want your going to have to spend the money. Just shop around and figure out what is expensive and what is cheap and get the best quality for the cheapest price. Its called modding a truck with a budget..

And looking for a manual? Why not just pull the tranny and rebuild the whole thing. A manual isnt that hard to rebuild..

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Well I told the salesman I will take the 03 F-550 4x4 they won't take my truck on trade so I will have to sell it privately.

The F-550 has a deck on it so I will put it on my F-450. It should sell with a nice 12 foot deck on it.