PDA

View Full Version : Techo Showcase

DVS Hardscaper
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm a loyal Techo-bloc user, guessing 75% of what we use is Techo.

I always appreciate a nice free jacket and shirts :)

However, do we really need a seminar on marketing and estimating for the 4the year in a row, I'm presuming it's presented by Paver Pete????

Here is what I would like for Techo-bloc to do: in my area we have a few contractors that are leaving money on the table. It's crazy. And out of control. Years ago Belgard use to invest alotta money with Vanderkoi and associates. BEST SEMINARS I'VE EVER BEEN TO. Marketing. Selling. Estimating. All presented by different people. Some one day seminars - some 2 day seminars....on the same subject. VERY INFORMATIVE. VERY MOTIVATING. Sure to open the eyes of the low ballers.

No one gets the point across and motivates a contractor like Mr Charles Vanderkoi, himself. NO one.

I love 'ol Paver Pete. He's a good guy. If Techo can afford to sponser the pro hockey games in Canada, if they can afford to buy tractor trailers to tote displays all over the place - THEY CAN AFFORD TO BEEF UP THEIR PROGRAM AND UTILIZE THE SERVICES OF VANDERKOI & ASSOCIATES.

Bringing in a new speaker for full day seminars, speakers that grab your attention, will be very beneficial to all. Will open the eyes of my competitors that there is no way they can install pavers for $10 / SF and put food on the table.......

And ya know - their mobile display is great, but we work with pavers and block every day. No disrespect, really I don't need to see the display, I see pavers in my sleep.....

DUSTYCEDAR
01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Amen to that

stuvecorp
01-06-2010, 02:33 PM
'The Check In The Night!' Vanderkoi is awesome, I still remember a lot of his seminar I saw years ago. I know it gets hard to have a top notch seminar every year for guys that are experienced and guys starting out but I just can't handle sitting through a day hearing the same stuff.

bigviclbi
01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
EP Henry is having some of his employees speak at MAHTS this year.

Twitchy
01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Boy oh boy all the "paver contractors" come out of the wood work for a free breakfast and lunch. Last yr a spanish "Contractor" brought his whole family to it... Paver Pete even made a joke about it. I will be attending the seminar in Feb. New colors and styles.

blade cutter
01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
More dry jokes by Paver Pete and that big cheesy grin...........yee ha. The product speaks for itself, give us Vanderkoi. I'd even pay.

DVS Hardscaper
01-07-2010, 11:41 AM
More dry jokes by Paver Pete and that big cheesy grin...........yee ha. The product speaks for itself, give us Vanderkoi. I'd even pay.

I'd normally say I'd be willing to pay as well.

But Techo sponsors the National, Pro hockey games, they spend money on some silly race car that last I knew they were toting around to the Showcases, and on and on. They can step up to the plate and give the contractors what they want - new speakers!

stuvecorp
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd normally say I'd be willing to pay as well.

But Techo sponsors the National, Pro hockey games, they spend money on some silly race car that last I knew they were toting around to the Showcases, and on and on. They can step up to the plate and give the contractors what they want - new speakers!

Wouldn't they(block/paver companies) get a better return targeting specific contractors and growing them? Rather than inviting everyone and their brother do a more 'invite' only type deal? Give it some mystique? Something to work towards and be an elite contractor?

mrusk
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I didn't even go to the showcase last year and will no go this year. I'd rather have them go the way andrew is suggesting or just drop the whole program. I really don't need to drive a hr and a half to hear about some new colors or a different paver pattern.

But when I did go to the showcases, it was a pretty good ego booster to know that I was one of the top hardscapers in the room. I am sure you felt the same way DVS.

DVS Hardscaper
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I didn't even go to the showcase last year and will no go this year. I'd rather have them go the way andrew is suggesting or just drop the whole program. I really don't need to drive a hr and a half to hear about some new colors or a different paver pattern.

But when I did go to the showcases, it was a pretty good ego booster to know that I was one of the top hardscapers in the room. I am sure you felt the same way DVS.

True Dat, MRusk-a-roni!

It always feels good to know I'm the top everything imagionable (top lawnsite BRONZE member, top master business owner, top lonely housewife chick magnet, top equipment expert, and top beer drinker)!

I really feel good especially when I look around the Techo-bloc Showcase room and see a bunch of overweight, flabby, contractors that wreak of smelly cigarette smoke, so important that they can't stop talking on their direct connect (that is so 2001) or put their phones away........

mrusk
01-07-2010, 07:34 PM
LOL @ Direct connect.

I also love how EVERY CONTRACTOR is booked out for like half of the year. When majority of them have had half their fleet reposed in the last few months.

BOEpavers
01-09-2010, 12:25 AM
As previouly mentioned, check out the EP Henry MAHTS schedule for this year. More education, less pep rally, full day (8-6), $35 fee, and yes Vanderkoi classes are on the agenda as a selection option. I believe you can get full info at www.mahts.com

etwman
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
We made a decision this year to do something totally different. You can run yourself ragged going to all these hardscape vendor shows, sitting in groups of 100 people, hearing all the barking about how "their product is best" and listen to the sand versus stone dust debate for the 1000th time. In the meantime you attempt to extract vital information that will help you grow as a company and sharpen all your hardscape skills. You end up walking away with a few good things, a pile of catalogs, sample kit, and a couple shirts.

This year we're bringing it all in house. We will have some of the top industry consultants come and spend a day with my guys at our facility. Ahead of time I've had my guys compile a lenghty list of things they want to discuss, learn, and we can use our own project pics, plans, etc to discuss constuction techniques and questions. In doing this we'll get to the meat of the hard core, advanced hardscape and business questions. Is it costly? Yes. Will it prove the right move. No doubt. We have the industry's best, one on one, for the whole day. If we want to work with our own tools, products, etc. they are all at our fingertips.

LB1234
01-14-2010, 10:21 AM
This thread is so true. thx for the chuckle

DVS Hardscaper
01-14-2010, 06:32 PM
the showcase wasn't all that bad.

food was great and plentyful.

if you're a Techo user or if you're planning to start using Techo - then it's a must attend. No big lecturing on estimating.

Dreams To Designs
01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
The showcases are what they are, time for Techo to show off themselves and their product. I go for the food and the opportunity to network with fellow landscape professionals. The raffle and freebies can be worth the trip, as well.

Kirk

Jim Bo
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
At the show last week they had something like $4500.00 in tools for door prizes. After it was over I thought, wow that was dam nice of them, until I got outside and a friend told me some employees and not an owner won the grand prize, which I think was like $2500.00 in paver tools. Then I thought going home are those guy's licensed, insured and how many jobs are they going to take away from a licensed contractor with those free tools.

Bru75
01-17-2010, 01:48 AM
At the show last week they had something like $4500.00 in tools for door prizes. After it was over I thought, wow that was dam nice of them, until I got outside and a friend told me some employees and not an owner won the grand prize, which I think was like $2500.00 in paver tools. Then I thought going home are those guy's licensed, insured and how many jobs are they going to take away from a licensed contractor with those free tools.

I believe that they only give out one raffle ticket per company, to make sure that only the owners or managers get the door prizes.
Besides, you would need a lot more equipment than that to actually build anything.

Jim Bo
01-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm going by what someone told me that attends every year, a few people outside made the same comment.

GroundScapesIncorporated
01-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Ive been to techo showcases four years in a row. I thought this year was the best one yet. I agree on the trailer,the race car and sponsorship thing though, theycan lose it

loupiscopolandscaping
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Paver pete rules hes like superman!!!!

DVS Hardscaper
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Pete did a good job of promoting Techo-Bloc. I don't think any of their competitors can even come close to matching Pete's & Techo's Showcase. And the reason is simple: IT'S BECAUSE PETE IS PASSIONATE ABOUT THE INDUSTRY AND HE'S PASSIONATE ABOUT TECHO-BLOC.

We do build quite a bit of segmental retaining walls. I will say that I don't quite agree with Pete's segment on wall building.

He and his video harped on flowable fill. As I mentioned in another post a few weeks ago - yes, you can use non-reinforced concrete for the base for a SRW (which is flowable fill).

However - FOLKS, THERE IS A HUGE REALITY BEHIND SEGMENTAL RETAINING WALLS! If it was a *PERFECT WORLD* - a freakin SRW would NOT be needed in the first place! Most of the walls we do on residential sites are in backyards with difficult access. You can not get a concrete mixer truck anywhere near the work zone. "Pump it" as Pete mentioned???? By the time you get a pump truck in on a narrow, tight, residential street - you could do an aggregate base install for less dinero.

I'm a believer in flowable fill. But it's not all that magical of an answer as Pete and Techo had harped. We do about 30 hardscape jobs a year. Out of those 30 - probably only 3-4 of those jobs have beautiful, peachy, access.

The "3' drainage chimney"?? Those of us that build these walls do understand when certain situations do require the drainage chimeny be more than 1-foot wide. Pete's point is make it bigger so it won't clog with sediment fast. Ok. Can't argue that theory. BUT... a drainage chimney is ONLY a back up drain. It's an *all else fails*. If you have the water property routing away from the wall from the get go - that chimney will never see a drop of water! I sit in the seminar and read the name badges on the attendees shirts and read the lettering on the trucks on the lot. When I see guy's badges and trucks that say 'Happy Valley Turf Management" - I get nervous when someone starts teaching stuff that either a)doesn't have an engineering degree. or b) is making out wall building to be something it's not. So many variables. Now, the owner of 'Happy Valley turf Managment' is gonna sell his first wall to his oldest, most loyal lawn fertilizer client. He's not gonna do the correct grading because Techo-bloc said "hey put this 3' drainage chimeny in place and your wall will be super".

for the record, pete did mention performing correct grading. But it was mentioned very briefly. Very briefly. With the 3' drainage chimney overshadowing.

mrusk
01-22-2010, 09:30 PM
DVS I will do 3' of clean stone behind large walls. But it has nothing to do with drainage and everything to do with keeping the large compactor futhur off the wall.

DVS Hardscaper
01-23-2010, 10:12 PM
sounds bizarre Rusk-A-Roni!

Usually a skilled operator can control where a large compactor goes..........

mrusk
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Um I'd rather just run the 1550 within 3 feet of the wall. Clean stone there means I can get the proper compaction easy with the small compactor.

CertPro
01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
I was at a seminar where paver pete told us to use pond liner at the top of a wall to eliminate drainage stone...........Sounds good!

DVS Hardscaper
01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Cert - at the one I was at, he said the rubber membrane was to prevent water from entering the ground, to ensure run-off. All that is fine and dandy.....until a new owner takes over the property and decides to do some planting and digs that stuff up.

Paver Gangster
01-30-2010, 01:36 AM
The pond liner idea sounds insane.

DVS Hardscaper
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
The pond liner idea sounds insane.

I have to agree. I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about that one. As I've stated, we do ALOT of large, segmental retaining walls for residential applications.

The concept is great. But in all reality it is "insane" and impractical in my opinion. Rubber is not intended to be permanently placed in the ground. It dry rots. I'd hate to be a homeowner whom just spent $30k on a wall, only to have to peel up the lawn and top soil 10 years later for the sake of replacing the rubber liner.

Old school engineering is your best avenue. Cut the grade to ensure positive water run off. No maintenance or upkeep ever required. If thats not possible - then use drain boxes. With the correct boxes and correct diameter piping - it's a permanent solution.

Paradise Landscapes
02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Isn't that the reason why Landscape fabric is used?

Paverman
02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
so, you gauge what paver you use by the amount of shirts and hats you get from the rep? why am I not surprised