PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Company in minnesota

Dire4321
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi I am very new to the site and i do have to say i like all the info and advice you can get here. Well to start of i have been in the lawn maintenance for a few years now and now i am looking at starting to do the fertilizing as well but i was wandering where can you get the flag you have to put in the yard as well at the invoice that you leave at the door with that you have applied to the yard. and if you can i am from Minnesota and was wandering where do other company get the fertilizer from i do have a few account but i think you can get it a little cheaper from a wholesaler or distributor i am looking at getting to let you know about 2000 50 pound bags of fert with pre-emergent well if any one from Minnesota that can help me out i would like that Thank you

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-09-2010, 12:39 AM
You are just starting out in ferts, and need 2K bags of fert? What will you do with the extra 1,950?

At any rate - you can get flags through Blackburn Flags (sponsor on here) OR flags through Gemplers (gemplers.com). As far as invoices go, I am going to have mine custom done for the upcoming season to include the application record portion + invoice all-in-one. If you just want a generic app record - go to the MN Dept of Ag website and check out their form. That is what I used this past season.

Dire4321
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
yes im just starting in fert but i have about 265 people line up all ready is there any program out there that does the invoice and the info you leave with what yo put down out there

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-09-2010, 09:38 PM
265 people signed up with you when you have never done this aspect of the biz before?
I wish I had that good of luck. Normally folks want to know that you know what you are doing and will do a good job before they would hire you on.
You are going to make some serious $ if you do a good job. Take the time to learn as much as possible before just chucking stuff on lawns.

djagusch
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Go to the state website and request a book called "how to start a buisness in MN" it's free and goes over what is needed to legally run a biz in the state.

Small list of things:
Register your buisness name needs to be done, unless the name has your first and last name in it. Ex. Jeff Jones Fert Company.

Need to get a sales tax use number and file for that. Yes lawn care in MN has sales tax.

Get a sales tax resale exempt form filled with your supplier so you don't pay sales tax on your supplies since your reselling it and charging sales tax to your customers.

Get your fert license with the dept of ag (this requires proof of general liability insurance). This is only a fee based license.

Guessing your going to end up doing pesticides also. Get the info from the dept of ag. This is a fee and test base license. If you worked for an employer and had the license you will need to retest because it is for a new company (kinda bull but it is what it is).

I would first talk to John Deere Landscapes on pricing and then check with other suppliers in the cities. They have all the supplies there also.

zima
01-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Good luck whith your bus.

jasontimm
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
i went through www.RNDsigns.com they are based in Minnesota, i think edan Prairie, local and well priced. stop at john deere landscapes (lesco) and ask them questions, they are more then willing to give advise on applications, they were a lot of help to me when i started out. but get licensed and insured, there is a lot of steps you need to walk before you will be ready to do this, good luck!

Dire4321
01-13-2010, 07:39 PM
i am licensed and insured i have been doing landscaping and lawn care for 6 years it just i am adding fertilizing to my program this year of things i will offer. i have Certified by Dept of agg too . it just was hard to find whole sale fert companys and where to get the signs at and all . i do thank you all for the help. i am running ground keep pro right now and it not to helpful with fertilizer and weed control apps so i was wandering is there any other good programs that people have used that are doing fertilizer invoices. thank you again for all your help

ryde307
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
We get our fert from fertimix in Jordan. They will custom blend anything you want and prices have been better than anywhere else. Talk to Tony he is the guy I have been dealing with.

ProcsLC
03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Holy cow... The only program I would recommend getting would be something with spell check on it... Seriously!

As far as invoices go... if you have a Staples in your area they have a ton of already made invoices you can go in and buy directly from them. They can also special order MANY different types of invoices, so check them out or online at staples.com

LawnBizCoach
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
So you're sure you need 2,000 bags of fertilizer?

Lawn Enforcer
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi I am very new to the site and i do have to say i like all the info and advice you can get here. Well to start of i have been in the lawn maintenance for a few years now and now i am looking at starting to do the fertilizing as well but i was wandering where can you get the flag you have to put in the yard as well at the invoice that you leave at the door with that you have applied to the yard. and if you can i am from Minnesota and was wandering where do other company get the fertilizer from i do have a few account but i think you can get it a little cheaper from a wholesaler or distributor i am looking at getting to let you know about 2000 50 pound bags of fert with pre-emergent well if any one from Minnesota that can help me out i would like that Thank you

RND signs in Eden Prairie is good, basic signs, I'm getting 1,000 signs for like $150. I use Conklin products, 2 or 3 apps a year, all liquid, works great!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Still can't figure out out the OP got almost 300 new customers 1st season without ever having any experience doing fert/squirts before.