PDA

View Full Version : f750 cummins fuel pump

BrandonV
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
put out 750 in the shop yesterday, thought needed a new fuel filter. we changed the one under the hood ourselves but couldn't get the inline one done (the one under the hood took 1.5hrs) took it to the shop asked them to do it... turns out the lifter pump is kaputt. of course just went out of warranty, 56k miles and the part is $450 with about 3.5hrs of labor! So we're pretty much talking $1k. Talk about being bummed out, main reason I bought this truck was for "longevity."

treemover
01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
what year? What model cummins?

Gravel Rat
01-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Ouch somebody got ripped off they must have got it through Ford that doubles the price. What year is this Ford I assume you have a 24 valve engine if so your electronic injection pump is next they don't like low fuel pressure. Better hope your nice and prepared for another bend over the counter session.

The engine in the Ford is all or should be all Cummins parts the lift pump and the other parts are Cummins supplied.

The 5.9 used in Freightliners is no different.

I would be seriously questioning why a lift pump is 450 dollars.

The 5.9 engine IS NOT the most reliable engine in a medium duty they are over worked. Only the 12 valve would partially survive you need the 8.3C in a medium duty truck better engine and lasts longer.

BrandonV
01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
what year? What model cummins?

Truck is an 2007. I don't mind paying for parts but I do mind paying for parts that should last longer than 58k thats stupid. Oh well its just $ :-( It is a leased truck, I'm thinking about whether not I'd want to keep it at the end of this or start from scratch... guess I have a year or two to think about it.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Lift pumps are just one of those things they may last half a million miles or they last 50,000 miles. It all depends on the fuel quality and other factors.

mrsops
01-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Brandon How do you like your f-750? What else has gone wrong with the truck besides the problem now?

BrandonV
01-08-2010, 05:56 PM
its a good truck overall, I personally don't like the automatic tranny but it has it advantages with driver selection. I prefer the cat motor in my c7500 BUT cost I think is prohibitive and would likely go with the cummins again. we did have an issue with the king pins on the front axle wearing out, but that may have been our fault not real sure :-?

mrsops
01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
its a good truck overall, I personally don't like the automatic tranny but it has it advantages with driver selection. I prefer the cat motor in my c7500 BUT cost I think is prohibitive and would likely go with the cummins again. we did have an issue with the king pins on the front axle wearing out, but that may have been our fault not real sure :-?

Im running cats in all my fords.. Thats funny i had the same problem with the king pins

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
The C-7 Cat is no longer offered so your only choice in a Ford is the Cummins. The C7 Cat is a better engine.

You guys would probably want to switch to a Paccar truck ie Pete or Kenworth or go with a Freightliner M2 with Mercedes power. Paccar has rebranded the Cummins engines under the PX name they have the tools and computers to repair them.

You could go with International too.

mrsops
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
The C-7 Cat is no longer offered so your only choice in a Ford is the Cummins. The C7 Cat is a better engine.

You guys would probably want to switch to a Paccar truck ie Pete or Kenworth or go with a Freightliner M2 with Mercedes power. Paccar has rebranded the Cummins engines under the PX name they have the tools and computers to repair them.

You could go with International too.

Gravel when did they stop putting the c7 in the fords? I have a 2007 and that still has the c-7. I just cant see spending all that money on a kenworth or peterbilt maybe its worth it but for a 26,000 or 33,000 gvw truck i feel the fords and international will hold up fine. I was also told to stay away from mercedes engine

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
This year Cat is no longer offered so if you need a newer truck start looking for a left over truck with C7 power. Cat dropped all their truck engines from the C7 to the C15.

BrandonV
01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
yeah I heard about that. I guess the positive is we may wind up with a cat branded truck... hopefully they'll come in yellow :-) I mean white.

mrsops
01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
This year Cat is no longer offered so if you need a newer truck start looking for a left over truck with C7 power. Cat dropped all their truck engines from the C7 to the C15.

Any reason why they droped those lines??

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
They didn't want to deal with the stupidity in the emmision regulations for on road engines.

Caterpillar still offers the C7 and C-15 and all other engines for offroad/marine/stationary equipment but for trucks they are no longer offered.

The enviromental whackos have got the emmision regs so strict you can't deal with it anymore.

The stupidity of having these soot collectors that require you to burn more diesel to burn the soot has to stop.