PDA

View Full Version : Grandstand specifications

mysteryman
01-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Toro-

When will the 2010 Grandstand model specifications be made public? The website has not been updated, I have not received the 2010 literature in the mail. I know that you said it would be early January (which is now so it isn't really overdue), I am interested in whether or not it is on schedule. Thank you.

The Toro Company
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Mysteryman - Thanks for your inquiry. The 2010 GrandStand literature is on press right now and should be available to ship the middle of next week.

-The Toro Company

mysteryman
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Terrific, thank you for the update.

LCPullman
01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
The specs are up on the website now. Thanks

mysteryman
01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I actually stumbled on them this weekend. Oddly enough, depending on which GrandStand icon you select determines whether you get the full offering (2010) and compact photo or the original four model offering (2009) and the older photo of the 2009 machine. Also, there are a few inconsistencies on the spec sheet. They are small but make me suspicious of the accuracy. One error is a 'foot' indicator rather than an 'inch' indicator for the tires (not major but affects the credibility of the entire spec sheet if it was not proof-read). Then there's the dimensions for the length of machines with platform up. One compact length is longer than the midrange and is I believe the same as the 60" unit (61?). This does not seem right (but could be, I suppose). Also, has the fuel capacity increased by one gallon? I was waiting to receive the actual printed material before questioning. Did you catch any of these? Thanks again for the update.

LCPullman
01-11-2010, 04:48 PM
A few observations, the difference between platform up and platform down is the same on the compact models, 13". On the larger models, the difference is 15".
The 36" deck is a bulkier deck for its size because the 2 blade design, v.s. the 3 blade design, that is probably why the difference in length. The walk-behind mowers are the same way, the 36" is longer than the 48 or 52" mowers.
I assume the ' instead of " would be a typo. I am amazed how often there are typos in manufacturer spec sheets.
I don't know about the gallons, but considering how fast I use the gas on my Grandstand with a 23 hp engine, I would be glad to see a larger tank on it.
I see that they do need to update the link on the right side of the page.

mysteryman
01-11-2010, 08:24 PM
LCPULLMAN

What you state makes sense. That's probably why the dimensions are peculiar. I didn't notice that the difference (platform up and down) was the same. I suppose that after I saw the typo on the feet/inches everything else was tainted. I am anxious to see if the printed brochures are cleaned-up. Thanks again.

The Toro Company
01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Mysterman -
We apologize for the spec error on our website. Unfortunately, the GrandStand information was mistakenly uploaded to the website while still in the draft / proof stage, which is also why the info was only accessible from one link.

The error you identified (' vs. ") had been caught for correction during the proofing stage, but again, the info went live prematurely. It has since been corrected and all info is accurate.

As for the question about the length of 36" and 40" being different when the platform in the stowed position, LC Pullman was exactly right. The difference is due to the 2-blade (36") vs. 3-blade (40") decks. The 2-blade design puts the castor forks further forward than the 3-blade, resulting in longer overall length. And yes, we have increased the fuel capacity by 1 gallon on ALL models for 2010, so 7.8 gallons is accurate.

Again, we apologize for the confusion. The new 2010 literature should be shipping any day.

-The Toro Company

mysteryman
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I understand, and thanks for taking the time to explain.

brucec32
01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I was happy to see the new 36 and 40" models on the website. Unfortunately, it looks like I can't use this machine in 40" form.

Toro seems to have gone with the concept of retaining a large "trim edge", which is great for northern turf, but on low cut grasses like Bermuda and to a lesser degree Zoysia, with their growth habit that is part stem, part leafy top, much more than a couple inches of trim edge means gouges and visable lines in the turf that are unacceptable. Even tiny variations in the level of the cut show on this type of turf.

To get this trim edge it looks like they narrowed the stance of the front wheels, so just like the 48"/52" models it can't handle severe undulations on Bermuda. All they should have done (for we southerners) was to slap a 40" deck on the same frame setup as the 48", leaving it with minimal deck overhang. That way the lack of true floating deck and antiscalps would not have been a problem.

The 36" mostly avoids this problem, but the deck is then so narrow that the machine isn't of much use on wide open areas, making it less versatile. Also sometimes the longer aspects of a 36" two blade deck lead to more scalping over crests. And unfortunately at $6,000 plus, it's too expensive for use on a few gated backyards, something most will just keep an old cheap wb around for. For this type of investment, I'd want a more versatile machine that gets full-time use.

Note the popularity of Walker mowers on southern turf. Also note that their 42" deck is probably the most popular size. That is because the 42" deck closely matches the width of the front tires. So it contours perfectly. I see a lot of companies hauling out 36" wb's to mow lawns that a bigger mower, designed right, would handle. What a shame.

I guess this is what happens when mowers are designed up north in areas where they don't even have grass like ours.

The Toro Company
01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
I was happy to see the new 36 and 40" models on the website. Unfortunately, it looks like I can't use this machine in 40" form.

Toro seems to have gone with the concept of retaining a large "trim edge", which is great for northern turf, but on low cut grasses like Bermuda and to a lesser degree Zoysia, with their growth habit that is part stem, part leafy top, much more than a couple inches of trim edge means gouges and visable lines in the turf that are unacceptable. Even tiny variations in the level of the cut show on this type of turf.

To get this trim edge it looks like they narrowed the stance of the front wheels, so just like the 48"/52" models it can't handle severe undulations on Bermuda. All they should have done (for we southerners) was to slap a 40" deck on the same frame setup as the 48", leaving it with minimal deck overhang. That way the lack of true floating deck and antiscalps would not have been a problem.

The 36" mostly avoids this problem, but the deck is then so narrow that the machine isn't of much use on wide open areas, making it less versatile. Also sometimes the longer aspects of a 36" two blade deck lead to more scalping over crests. And unfortunately at $6,000 plus, it's too expensive for use on a few gated backyards, something most will just keep an old cheap wb around for. For this type of investment, I'd want a more versatile machine that gets full-time use.

Note the popularity of Walker mowers on southern turf. Also note that their 42" deck is probably the most popular size. That is because the 42" deck closely matches the width of the front tires. So it contours perfectly. I see a lot of companies hauling out 36" wb's to mow lawns that a bigger mower, designed right, would handle. What a shame.

I guess this is what happens when mowers are designed up north in areas where they don't even have grass like ours.

Bruce32,

You indicated anything with more than a couple of inches of overhang creates issues. I think it might be worth at least seeing and perhaps demoing the 40" and 36" GrandStand before eliminating them from consideration. We won't debate with you the difficulties of mowing at 1.0" - 1.5" HOC, it's a challenge.

-The Toro Company

Bob_n_weave
01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Mysteryman - Thanks for your inquiry. The 2010 GrandStand literature is on press right now and should be available to ship the middle of next week.

-The Toro Company

It's 20 days later my dealer still has no 2010 literature.

mysteryman
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
TORO-

A clarification request regarding the posted (Toro site) specifications for the GrandStand mowers. Under 'Adjustable Discharge Baffle' is it true that the compact models require tools? ...and under the 'Spindle Bearings' is it true that the compact models do not have greasable ball bearings? ... or are these typos?? Thank you.

yardguy28
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
TORO-

A clarification request regarding the posted (Toro site) specifications for the GrandStand mowers. Under 'Adjustable Discharge Baffle' is it true that the compact models require tools? ...and under the 'Spindle Bearings' is it true that the compact models do not have greasable ball bearings? ... or are these typos?? Thank you.

it does say just say ball bearings...

but i am correct in catching that you would want greasable ball bearings? i personally think the less maintenance that you need to do to a mower the better, so the less things to grease means less maintenance.

lilweeds
01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Greasable bearings last longer.

mysteryman
01-30-2010, 03:48 PM
lilweeds is correct. I learned that lesson having had non-greasable bearings on my truck's universal joints...they disintegrated, turned into a rusty powder. Lubrication is always a good thing, any metal-to-metal points of contact should be provided a bit of oil or other lubricant (synthetic) from time to time to prevent metal wear (and thus sloppiness of the movement). Other than attracting some dirt/dust, the lubricant is a good investment.

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=brucec32;3362474]

QUOTE]

Do all sizes of the Grandstand have this problem on Bermuda? With all the buzz my interest in this unit has peaked, but gouging and scalping are a big concern when looking for the right mower.

lilweeds
01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Well let's put it this way on the 48" deck you can set the rear wheels to the outter setting which in turn will eliminate the trim edge. So no his concerns aren't justified with every mower. IMO the 52 doesn't really have enough of a trim edge, but it works for me because up here I general cut from 3-4 inches.

The 60 has anti scalp wheels and the Exmark has them as an option if you feel you need them.

mysteryman
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
check out this YouTube Exmark vantage Maintenance clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sa2XHR-hxc

It states that the spindles are greaseless. This makes me wonder if the possible typo (see above post) regarding the listing of greasless for the compact models is maybe an error in that the full size frame models left off the word greaseless. I look forward to Toro's reply to my questions above.

Also, unrelated, has anybody noticed the ground speed control of the Exmark Vantage compared to that of the Toro GrandStand? The Toro uses a dash-mounted lever while the reference bar of the Exmark Vantage moves and locks into position tightening-up the amount of 'throw' of the two control levers. This can be seen in a different YouTube video on the Exmark Vantage.

The Toro Company
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
TORO-

mysteryman -

The specs are correct. Due to the very compact nature of the 36" and 40" decks and how the decks mount to the GrandStand carrier frame, there isn't adequate room / space to use the cam lever adjustment featured on the larger decks. The baffle is still adjustable, but it is secured using hardware so a couple turns of a socket wrench is required.

Yes, we use sealed spindles on the smaller decks. The 36" and 40" TURBO FORCE decks are the same decks used on our mid-size walk-behinds. Those machines have featured sealed spindles for the past four years, and they have performed very well.

-The Toro Company

The Toro Company
02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
It's 20 days later my dealer still has no 2010 literature.

Bob_n_Weave -

Since we don't know who your dealer it's tough to say why they don't have the new catalog in stock, but it is available (part # 490-8070). Perhaps the dealer just hasn't gotten around to ordering the new literature since it just recently became available. Please email us your mailing address and we'll drop you a copy in the mail.

-The Toro Company

mysteryman
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. You've been very helpful in my research . I spoke with my dealer and will be ordering very soon.

The Toro Company
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. You've been very helpful in my research . I spoke with my dealer and will be ordering very soon.

Mysteryman -

Glad we could be of help. The GrandStand is a terrific mower. We are confident you will be happy with your purchase.

-The Toro Company

brucec32
02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Bruce32,

You indicated anything with more than a couple of inches of overhang creates issues. I think it might be worth at least seeing and perhaps demoing the 40" and 36" GrandStand before eliminating them from consideration. We won't debate with you the difficulties of mowing at 1.0" - 1.5" HOC, it's a challenge.

-The Toro Company

Hehe, I guess not having any 40" GS's available to demo kind of makes that a moot point right now.

But I'm sure I don't have to remind Toro of the basic physics of how movement from a fulcrum is magnified the further away you get from that fulcrum. So a wheel dropping into a 1" hole or low spot becomes a bigger deck movement 6" over to the side where the blade edge is. And when mowing a grass type that is essentially twigs up to about 1" at low heights, you simply don't have that much to play with.

I'm hopeful that they do cut well. But with approximately ZERO reports from my area here on lawnsite from the 48/52", showing them cutting nice Bermuda lots, I'm not holding my breath.

mysteryman
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Well let's put it this way on the 48" deck you can set the rear wheels to the outter setting which in turn will eliminate the trim edge. So no his concerns aren't justified with every mower. IMO the 52 doesn't really have enough of a trim edge, but it works for me because up here I general cut from 3-4 inches.

The 60 has anti scalp wheels and the Exmark has them as an option if you feel you need them.

Feb 14, 2012 - Lilweeds---What is involved with 'widening' the track of the rear 'axle' of the 48" 74548 model? From what I can see all I have to do (after practicing safety securing the machine) is remove the 'top' and 'rear' nuts and bolts of the three piece 'axle', then the two 'corner' nuts and bolts where the main frame (front-to-rear) beams fasten to the wheel motor housings, then re-install the rear 'axle' using the appropriate matching 'wider holes'. I assume that the hydraulic hoses will accomodate this change...did I miss anything? Have you done this successfully? Do the edges of the mower deck become in-line with the outer walls of the tires (I am not able to measure mine right now)...any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.