PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed or open trailer?

MikeKle
01-08-2010, 02:58 AM
I have always used open trailers for my business, but am know wondering if an enclosed trailer might be better. I am not looking for a brand new one though, probably looking for a late 90s, early 2000s 16-18ft interior length with a rear ramp door, dont really need a side door or any other options. I have looked at many classifieds, but most are brand new. Where are the used enclosed trailers? Even a 16ft made in 2006 is selling for $3500-$5000.!!! I was hoping to find one for around $2500 or less, and do not mind if it needs a bit of work, or needs some wood replaced either. So a late 90s, even a mid 90s maybe if in OK shape. If anyone knows a god place to find what Im looking for, I would appreciate it. I just bought a brand new 16 ft tandem axle open trailer last spring, and would be willing to trade it(plus some cash) for a 16-18ft enclosed trailer. Thanks guys.

KS_Grasscutter
01-08-2010, 05:40 AM
I was sort of looking at enclosed trailers last spring. I only ran across a couple used ones locally, and they were junk. My main motivation to getting an enclosed trailer was to be able to operate without renting storage space for equipment, but I then came to the conclusion I have far too much junk that I wouldn't be able to carry on the trailer on a daily basis, so for now I am sticking with an open trailer. Maybe I can get a new one when some more stuff is paid off in a couple years lol...

MikeKle
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
The only negative I can think of about an enclosed is when you are filling the mowers at the gas station, and having to pull the mowers on and off the trailer to fill them up. But I thought about making some sort of closable opening in the trailers side, enough so the gas nozzle can fit thru. And I suck at backing a trailer using my mirrors, I have to look back to steer my open trailer, but I would probably get the hang of it, when I first got my open trailer, I sucked at trying to steer it too!!! It took me forever to back it in the driveway, now I can swing it in the first time! There has to be older enclosed trailers for sale somewhere? Where did they all go then?

Another idea is to make my open into an enclosed, How expensive can it be to go that route? Im sure a trailer supply house would sell all the wall supports and roof pieces. Anyone know if its pricey to do this, or even worth it? Thanks

dwlah
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
You could mount a fuel tank in the back of the truck then you could just fill it up at the station then fill the mowers from that

FryDaddy
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
This maybe a dumb question, but are those clear polyuerthene (plastic like)sprayer tanks capable of holding gas...
Posted via Mobile Device

Kutz Lawns
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
The dealer that I use also sells used enclosed trailers too http://www.wellers.com/

With the economy the way that it is there should be a boatload of trailers for sale out there!

DoetschOutdoor
01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Most of the time you will not have to pull mowers out to fill up on petro...just get close to the pump and open the side door or drop rear gate and the hose will reach the majority of the mowers inside unless your running a huge trailer.

Im not too far from you there in KY and I went down south and saved about 1200$ on my enclosed...sooo many trailers are made down south then shipped up north and if you can drive a few hundred miles you can save substantially. My trailer came loaded with options the dealers around here wanted to bend me over for $ wise so Im happy with going south. We made a 3 day weekend out of it, had a few hickups along the way but saw some cool places and saved alot of $$

360ci
01-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd shop around online via Kijiji or CraigsList for enclosed trailers. I find that a lot of folks have bought them to carry a couple ATVs or motorcycles, and generally have ramp doors. They're rarely used units (at least the ones I saw were) but the price was only $1K on average than from buying new (with a warranty!).

With the markets still down you might be able to haggle a local dealer for a GREAT price on a new unit with no options except for a rear ramp door of course. A lot of people that I know of that own a purpose built cargo trailer, use it until the bitter end (frame rots off, axles come loose from frame; are welded back on but aren't straight, etc). Older units will definitely be in bad condition.

This maybe a dumb question, but are those clear polyuerthene (plastic like)sprayer tanks capable of holding gas...
Posted via Mobile Device

You'll have to check with the manufacturer. Some tanks aren't meant for petroleum based fluids but can hold 'light' hazardous materials. Petroleum will break down the plastic over time which is cause for safety concerns.

DoetschOutdoor
01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Why do you need to keep gas in a sprayer bottle? That makes very little sense. Gas cans come in all different shapes and sizes or if you get an enclosed trailer, put a 15 gallon tank bolted to your workbench in there.

supercuts
01-09-2010, 05:57 PM
I have always used open trailers for my business, but am know wondering if an enclosed trailer might be better. I am not looking for a brand new one though, probably looking for a late 90s, early 2000s 16-18ft interior length with a rear ramp door, dont really need a side door or any other options. I have looked at many classifieds, but most are brand new. Where are the used enclosed trailers? Even a 16ft made in 2006 is selling for $3500-$5000.!!! I was hoping to find one for around $2500 or less, and do not mind if it needs a bit of work, or needs some wood replaced either. So a late 90s, even a mid 90s maybe if in OK shape. If anyone knows a god place to find what Im looking for, I would appreciate it. I just bought a brand new 16 ft tandem axle open trailer last spring, and would be willing to trade it(plus some cash) for a 16-18ft enclosed trailer. Thanks guys.

not to say you cant find a deal, but they are far and few between. its like saying your looking for an 07' diesel 4x4 for less than $10k. enclosed trailers are like mowers, they keep getting more and more expensive. 18' enclosed are in teh $6500-$7500 range now. either pony up some more or forget about it. ive seen some nice trailers in the range you've said $3500-

baseball man
01-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I know of a place here in Mississippi where you can get a brand new 2010 pace brand V-nose enclosed trailer for around $2600 brand spanking new. Ramp door and side door roof vent also. I am considering one after about 10 yrs. in business. I looked at them on Friday. The place is Aerial trucks and trailers in olive branch, ms

supercuts
01-11-2010, 09:52 AM
I know of a place here in Mississippi where you can get a brand new 2010 pace brand V-nose enclosed trailer for around $2600 brand spanking new. Ramp door and side door roof vent also. I am considering one after about 10 yrs. in business. I looked at them on Friday. The place is Aerial trucks and trailers in olive branch, ms

for what a 5x10'?

baseball man
01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
no, 6x12. i looked at one last Friday there and i think i'm going to buy one. it is a pace.

HISnHERS
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
The only negative I can think of about an enclosed is when you are filling the mowers at the gas station, and having to pull the mowers on and off the trailer to fill them up.

if you end up with an enclosed trailer consider adding a fuel door. They're about $70 and pretty easy to mount.

The enclosed I have came with windows where the bottom third slides open. One on each side, which works perfectly as a fuel door.

blk90s13
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
The dealer that I use also sells used enclosed trailers too http://www.wellers.com/

With the economy the way that it is there should be a boatload of trailers for sale out there!

this dealer is on some good stuff

he wants $4700 for a beat up used 1999 7x14 :laugh: and he tells me new 7x14 go for close to $7600 :dizzy:

PLS-Tx
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=HISnHERS;3361791]if you end up with an enclosed trailer consider adding a fuel door. They're about $70 and pretty easy to mount.

This is what we did, we had 2 fuel doors added at the factory, they work great.

We have had our enclosed about 4 years, 8.5x20, I would never want to go back to an open trailer.

We have a pic of ours on the home page of our website if you want to see it. It's not the best pic, plan on taking a better one soon.

www.patslawn.com

newtostone
01-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No, all tanks must be DOT approved for the fuel it is carrying.

MikeKle
01-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I learned my lesson with carrying fuel only in an approved container, I was out mowing and for some reason, I was trying to put a little bit of gas into one of those foam soda cups, to take up the hill? I cant remember why I didnt just take the whole gas can up there, (but Im sure there must have been a good explanation),and the foam cup was the only thing i could find laying around in the truck, anyway, right after I poured around a cup of regular gas into it, the cup started to melt and disintegrated within a minute or so!!! I quickly put the cup down on the trailer floor, and there is still part of the foam cup kinda fused to the wood trailer floor?!! Cant even scrape it off! Now I will only transport fuel in a can.

TGM
01-15-2010, 05:58 PM
from personal experience, i'll be going to a smaller open trailer this year. why? because after 3 years i'm having a hard time keeping my enclosed trailer together. it's also been converted to a shop, but even then, it'll be replaced by a box truck at some point.

open trailers are a little better suited for landscaping imho, however, it depends on your situation.