PDA

View Full Version : Opinons on an old Army 5-ton for work

S&S Outdoor Services
01-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Hello all,

I posted a simliar thread on Plow site and had mixed reviews about these trucks I found, just wondering if any of you guys would consider these for a work truck.

http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products.cfm?pid=2&cat=2

I think they're super cool and well suited for our needs but I know they have their downsides too. I figure the price isn't bad and for another 5k or so it could make a great work truck with new paint, maybe some better seats, radio etc. I also think it could be a good marketing tool because obviously there's not many people around with something like this. I did e-mail these guys and they can be licensed in MN for GCWR 44,000, not bad.

Downsides: hard to find parts, lack the comforts of a more modern truck, ??

I would like to have a truck that can haul a 20-25,000 lb equipment trailer along with 5-10 yards of gravel, rock, whatever else. I would also like the truck to be able to have a plow on it for larger parking lots. I want to spend around 25k for the truck and the plow would come later. Any other suggestions for type of vehicle I should be looking for? I am a cummins fan and I also like manual transmissions. It seems like these old 5 tons fit all the criteria and have the super cool factor but I would like to know what other people think. - Sam

DiyDave
01-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Keep in mind that most will get about 2-3 MPG, are geared so low that they barely do 55MPH. You decide if you want to go that route!

MOREDIRT
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
You really need to quit hanging out with Hanau don't you think there is a reason you don't see guys running these trucks? I used to run one with a dump bed on our farm it was very uncomfortable and slow little things were always breaking like hoses, bolts and switches. The brakes suck parts are hard to get and expensive tires are expensive. They make good site service and lube trucks I would walk before I drove one all day.

Bleed Green
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
How much does the bed on that truck hold? Doesn't look as big as a normal dump truck to me.

Mowingman
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
All the above reasons NOT to buy one are right on the money.
Besides, those trucks, in really good condition, can be purchased for
$5000.00, sometimes less. Those prices are outrageous.

PetesLandscape&Supply
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
No way No how could this be practical..........pete:)

treemover
01-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Any tandem will do what you want. Look for an older muni truck set up with plow already. Only downside abuse to salt and usually low powered. I think with a tandem you will look more professional than with an old army truck. And trust me you will miss those creature comforts. I know and been there. I bought a 2001 mack fdm 6x6 (think front discharge cement truck) and put one of my tree spades on it, sure do miss those comforts

stuvecorp
01-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Any tandem will do what you want. Look for an older muni truck set up with plow already. Only downside abuse to salt and usually low powered. I think with a tandem you will look more professional than with an old army truck. And trust me you will miss those creature comforts. I know and been there. I bought a 2001 mack fdm 6x6 (think front discharge cement truck) and put one of my tree spades on it, sure do miss those comforts

We may need to see that Mack.

I would think an old International would be nicer than an old Army truck?

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Those things are way over priced and as stated already they are not that good.

My familly has had couple forklifts that have had some of that old army stuff and its hard to even get parts for them.

The only thing those old army trucks would be good for is a site truck. Put a 10,000 gallon fuel tank on it and use it as a offroad fuel truck.

treemover
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
We may need to see that Mack.

I would think an old International would be nicer than an old Army truck?

I have been wanting to pst some pics, but never seem to remember to take any:confused:

spydahead
01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
sounds like they go thru them pretty good,new paint & tires + the tires are taller so that would help in top speed...i say go for it, that thing would be bad ass,as long as you can fix it your self

S&S Outdoor Services
01-09-2010, 12:17 AM
that's what I was thinking too spydahead. I've seen the other older M35's go for $2000 that run but are in s***ty condition. This oshkosh equipment goes through and fixes all the problems they may have and also put a warranty on them. They also have all the parts in stock but they're 10 hours away so maybe stocking up on some parts couldn't hurt. The dumps can hold 10 tons. I have also heard that they top out at 55 mph but the speed limits around here are only about 45 unless you're on the freeway, I couldn't see myself wanting to drive much over that with a full load anyways.

DuallyVette
01-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Last summer, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I saw a couple cruising around driving a flatbed truck like those...with a convertable top. I bet it would be fun,,,for about an hour :)

Some of those trucks were 1968 to 1974 models...some with only 5,000 to 10,000 miles on the odometer.

spydahead
01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
you know the more i think about these trucks, the way this place sets them up, i think i want one. i just wonder how long it would take me to drive one of these back to calif... lets see i'm 49years now,50mph. $10,000 worth of gas...i'd be broke and 60years old..but i'd look cool:cool2:

S&S Outdoor Services
01-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Haha... well can you really put a price on cool??? My vote is no

TexasFire221
01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I have a buddy that just bought a 2 1/2 ton truck. He paid like $2,000 and some shipping to get it here. We also have tons of these trucks at the fire department I work at. The 5 ton we have will go anywhere. I have taken out cedar trees 6-8 inches in diameter. Not that you would need to do that. I can get any part needed in about 4 days. I have a parts catalog that is very detailed.

S&S Outdoor Services
01-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Is it something you wouldn't mind riding/ driving around for awhile if there was maybe some new seats and stuff like that? Or does it just totally suck?