PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer V-nose vs Flat nose

Moto52
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I want to know if there is a big difference in fuel mileage pulling a v-nose over a normal flat nosed trailer. I heard the other day someone tell me there is a 20 to 30% increase in fuel using a v-nose. I've been using a 6x12 flat nose for the last 8 years and am going to buy a 8x20 and just want to know if i should spend the extra money and get the v-nose or the flat nose????

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
The v is nice for extra space
i dont track the gas i use pulling it as i have nothing to compair to

Moto52
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Yea I heard the 20 to 30% increase from the trailer shop I was at so i'm sure he wants to talk his trailers up. 20% is huge to me so if it was true i would buy it in a second but I just don[t think it would make that much of a difference.

AtoZ
01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Pulling a enclosed trailer is like pulling a parachute with yur truck. You will realize poor fuel economy with both styles with a conventional pickup...

Moto52
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Pulling a enclosed trailer is like pulling a parachute with yur truck. You will realize poor fuel economy with both styles with a conventional pickup...

I know that pulling either trailer will make a difference in my mileage I just want to know if it's worth the extra money to buy a v-nose it's about 1000 bucks more. so if it's going to take 5 years to make up the difference in savings it's not worth it but if it is 20% better then I will buy the v-nose forsure..

Valk
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Lets say you drive ~25k/yr...and gas is $3/gal. The difference b/tw 10 and 11 mpg's is ~$680/yr in savings.

AtoZ
01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
If you need extra room get the V - If you dont get the flat Nose. There is no 20% standard, if anybody says that the V-nose gets significantly better mileage their lying... My v-nose pulls with the same efficiency as any other trailer out there...

DoetschOutdoor
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Im on my 2nd enclosed and would def. go v nose. It gives you a little extra room to install your workbench and cabinets, etc. I didnt track mileage really compared to my first flat nose trailer but I do like having that extra foot and a half for the v nose.

360ci
01-08-2010, 08:37 PM
It comes down to physics. Pulling a flat nose with a shorter tongue and if the truck in question has a cap over the bed, it will give you the best efficiency. Of course, height also has to be factored in. If the trailer is 10' tall and the truck with the cap is 7', then that 3' of space is going to hurt mileage, over say a 8' tall trailer with a lower interior height.

A V nose getting pulled by a small SUV, light truck with no cap over the bed and even with a longer tongue should net similar mileage, but for the same vehicle pulling a wide and tall flat nose trailer, mileage will be less.

Drag will be most noticeable above 30mph and increases with speed of course, or pulling a V nose over a longer distance with a smaller tow vehicle will net you a savings over pulling a flat nose trailer of similar size.

DoetschOutdoor
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
The bottom line is there is not going to be very much noticable difference in mileage no matter how hard we analyze it. How much traffic, your certain truck, what you have it weighed down with, etc. will determine your gas mileage, not v nose or flat nose.

360ci
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
For the price difference the V nose is a good bargain for the extra space.

ygim
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
any of you guys with the vnose do you have extended tongues on them?