PDA

View Full Version : Seeding

osc
04-01-2000, 09:44 PM
The best results I have witnessed on seed jobs was either hydroseed or Brillion type. That is on an install not overseed. I just spent 2 days on soil prep and seeding on an acre. I had to broadcast spread my seed because of some equipment problems and then to beat all the straw blower I was going to rent was being repaired. So after shaking out boucoupe straw by hand, I am worrying about good soil contact and germination. I did Harley Rake and seed bed was receptive. Anyone have experience with this? Good thing is, it is supposed to rain for the next 2 days.

steveair
04-01-2000, 10:00 PM
I think your job will come out fine. There's nothing wrong with broadcast seeding and hand haying. Just that its not the most efficient way with all of todays technology.<p>One thing that I find is very helpful is rolling though. It improves the contact for seed tremendously. If you don't believe it, look at the job in the few days. I've done jobs where the wheel marks from the broadcast spreader germinate faster and fill in faster that the rest. It takes time, but I think its worth it, especially if you used topsoil and have that nice fluffy surface to sink the seed into. Also, look at things as simple as footprints left behind. Ever notice how th grass grows 5 times faster in those spots?<p>My new thing with lawns is with using erosion matting. I used the curlex on a hill, and could not believe the germination it gave me. The stuff is unbelievable. I started using it for problem areas that never seem to grow, even if they were completely flat.<p>I've had hydroseeding done, used Penn mulch, and off cours used straw, but nothing seems to have worked like that matting does. It creates like a mini-green house over the ground for the seed. <p>I am hoping to see a product like curlex come out for use on entire lawns. As of now, its way to expensive. However, its unbelievable how well it works. <br>

Lawnforce 2
04-03-2000, 03:42 AM
i did a job last year on some seeding for a biulding company. needless to say they didn't do a good job on the land as far as removing all the building crap off the land. i hand to rake it out by hand because the land sat at a steep slope.. it took a week and i didn't make any profit. i did rent a straw blower and the rubber gear broke when i was 15 feet of finishing. then the hand spread came into play. o well we learn as we go i guesse.<br>any body know of a good set up for new companies to do the new yard thing...as far as equipment... don't want to spead to much money on it cause it might not work out ... who knows maybe it will!

Stonehenge
04-03-2000, 06:47 PM
This might be a good place to ask a seeding related question. But first I'll add my two cents worth on the question at hand - <p>While I don't roll a seed bed after seeding, I do rake it, like they do at ballparks between innings. I have 3 guys stand side by side with grade rakes and just drag them along, over the whole area. It makes a big difference.<p>Here's my question - I've been doing some cost analysis of renting a bale chopper/shooter vs. hand spreading bagged, chopped hay. <p>With the chopper, bales cost $2 each. Let's assume I need 10. Rental on the chopper is about $50. I have to send a guy to get it, and it takes 3 guys to operate it (one to drive, one to feed, one to shoot). With the bagged stuff, I'd need about 12 to equal 10 bales, they're about $5 each, and the labor is about the same. So, I end up about $10 ahead doing it the old fashioned way, and after all the picking up/dropping off of equipment (and the INEVITABLE breakdown of the chopper halfway through a project), it doesn't take any more time. Am I missing something, or have others found this to be true also???<br>

paul
04-03-2000, 08:21 PM
Stone Hand spreading is fine for smaller jobs but try that with 3 or 4 acres noway can you spread out out that much straw by hand verses machine spread. <br>For seeding we use a brillion seeder, it places the seed into the soil the right depth, covers it and frims the soil with rollers, I have not found a better way of doning it yet, even when we hydro seed we seed first with the brillion and then just mulch it.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

GroundKprs
04-03-2000, 10:58 PM
Most grass seed does best when planted 1/32&quot; to 1/16&quot; in soil. To simply achieve this when broadcast seeding, drag a metal tine leaf rake over the seeded area, with the tines pointed upward and no downward pressure on the rake. If necessary to broadcast large area, each man can pull four rakes, two in each hand. Important to go over area with rake(s) only once. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

steveair
04-03-2000, 11:03 PM
I've thought the same thing alot of times stone. However, on the bigger jobs, the blower is nice to have. I have hand spread a lot of jobs that I wish I had blown. Plus, the blower does a nicer job.<p>Another point with the blower is you can use a poor quality straw. I've gotten straw sometimes that doesn't spread worth a dam. Ends up clumping up all over and spread about a quarter, at least, as less far as a good straw. Sometimes you get straw that is so nice, it spreads just like the blower would. Other times, clump city. The blower defintely helps in stretching out the amount of straw used..

Stonehenge
04-04-2000, 07:16 PM
Hey Paul, <p>There are a couple cos around here that hydroseed, and I like how the mulch/dye/tack keeps everything in place. Is that eqpt expensive? <p>It looks like it'd be at least as expensive as a bale chopper (which I've now made up my mind I'm not buying).<p>

Stonehenge
04-04-2000, 07:22 PM
One more thing....<p>Has anyone heard of ENCAP? It's a new seed (that so far is only made in Green Bay, WI, that I know of) that has each seed encapsulated in mulch, or if you buy ENCAP Plus, it also has fert and a growth hormone in it also (the fert is granular mixed in with the seed). They say it's heavier, so it won't blow around, and there's no need to do much after spreading and raking (or whatever method you use to get the seed in good contact with the soil. The cost is about the same as seed+mulch+eqpt rental, but you'd save a lot on labor. I'm thinking about trying it this season....