PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Big Timber in New Hampshire

curtisfarmer
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Here are some shots, I will try to upload video too, may need smome help, of us cutting large white pine on our farm in New Hampshire. This was our 4th cut in 9 years. On this cut we harvested some 100 MBF on just 8-10 acres. TimberPro 630 with intermitent Quadco head. Some of the trees are over 130'.

:usflag:

OK, tried uploading MVI files, no luck. Any suggestions, I have cool vids to share.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
COOL PICS:weightlifter:

curtisfarmer
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Here is some from 2007, our 3rd cut. Who says we don't have big logs out here? I had these milled, I cut 20 MBF (4 tractor trailer loads) of the biggest logs, we got some 28" wide boards:clapping:

KrayzKajun
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
very awesome pics!!!

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I have never seen a feller buncher on rubber tires before it is even a skidder.

Where feller bunchers go around here you need tracks your working on litterally 45 degree slopes. Takes nerves of steel to run a buncher around here.

What a buncher can do in one day takes 2-3 days hand falling with 3 fallers.

Some trees still have to be hand felled a buncher won't cut a 48 inch diamter tree unless you snap it off.

oakhillslandscaping
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
sweet pics. what part of NH you out of. i recognized kents truck

Dirtman2007
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
nice pictures, I've always like seeing logging equipment. This is one of the biggest logs l've ever seen cut where I live.

curtisfarmer
01-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Dirtman, that is about our upper limit here too. They do get bigger, but if you cannot run it thru the chipper, why bother. I have some cool videos of slicing stuff like your size logs upper length wise with the TimberPro to make it fit in chipper....very cool. I also have videos of using a shear to cut something like that down, I see a handcut wedge in yours, are all those hand falls?

Anyone wanna help me upload. I have standard MVI files from my camera but cannot figure how to upload. Do I need to go thru YouTube?

Dirtman2007
01-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Dirtman, that is about our upper limit here too. They do get bigger, but if you cannot run it thru the chipper, why bother. I have some cool videos of slicing stuff like your size logs upper length wise with the TimberPro to make it fit in chipper....very cool. I also have videos of using a shear to cut something like that down, I see a handcut wedge in yours, are all those hand falls?

Anyone wanna help me upload. I have standard MVI files from my camera but cannot figure how to upload. Do I need to go thru YouTube?

yes load them on to youtube then just post the link so we can watch them. sounds interesting!

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
What do you mean run through a chipper ?

You guys would chip a tree the size that Chris is sitting on ?

Any tree that can't be turned into lumber here is turned into firewood waste not want not. Any thing that is 12 inches and smaller in diamter that is straight is usually kept for poles for fences you strip the bark off.

Kepple Services
01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
You can run it through a chipper for a few reasons.. You the all knowing gravel rat does not know this?? I am certainly shocked! There is paper mills that use chips, as well as biofuel. We have a few biofuel plants here that burn chips..

curtisfarmer
01-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Biomass is big here, look at the bug damage on Dirtmans logs, and big ones are just plain pallet grade logs. Sometimes btter to chip than pay landowner for low grade logs, depending on market conditions. Prices around here are about $30-6 per ton for chips. When diesel was $1 gallon....the chips were just blown on the landing, not any more. Biomass harvesting and logging go hand and hand around here. We had a 36" chipper here ....amazing supper hp eating giant trees. On one cut we used a track machine....most shears around here are tracks....TimberPro is a specialty machine.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Chips around here don't get you any money because mills can get hog fuel for nothing why buy chips. Logs are worth more for lumber than anything you can sell logs for firewood more than you get for chips.

Any of the tree services has to pay to get rid of chips unless they find somebody to take it.

If that log Chris was sitting on was a Douglas fir log it would be worth 5 grand as a saw log.

curtisfarmer
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
All trash evergreen is chipped here, firewood sometimes graded out depending on job setup and volume production. All paper pulp here is tree lenght, no chips at all...all to the power plant where tax credits for renewable fuel make coal less competitive. Chips are big time around here.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Around here it costs the loggers money to deal with pulp/chip grade wood its fell and left in the bush you take a loss if you haul it out. I forget the value but for the amount of money you get from a 30 ton truck load it will not even pay for the trucking.

With lumber mills cut so much wood all the bark (hog fuel) is taken off the trees there is cubic millions worth of hog fuel it sells real cheap its almost free. Hog fuel burns twice as hot as chips because its ground up tree bark and it doesn't need to be dried like chips.

Any paper grade chips have to be hemlock or white wood species. With paper prices so low it isn't high enough to pay the logging companies to haul pulp grade lumber out of the bush. The paper mills don't have enough fiber to make paper.

The US gov't is subsidizing USA paper mills because they can't compete in the global market because you guys have to chip logs for steam to produce paper. So if the US gov't wasn't subsidizing the pulp and paper industry your mills in the USA would have shut down long ago. So your guys tax money is supporting mills to keep jobs but they are not profitable.

Because the USA paper market is subsidized it has killed the market for Canadian paper. The Canadian paper producers don't get subsidized they don't need to be because the mills are efficient but they can't sell the paper as cheap as it is in the USA. So any paper you write on your tax money is paying for just to keep jobs going in the USA.

curtisfarmer
01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Some interesting claims from GR......since I AM DRINKING SOME BEER..possibly a late night......:usflag:.I will have to wait to comment.:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
It is what I have been told by the people in the paper industry.

Have a read

www.vancouversun.com/technology/Black+liquor+weirdness+drips+onto+pulp+paper+industry/1707906/story.html

More reading

www.vancouversun.com/business/Canada+fights+back+over+black+liquor+pulp+paper/1617370/story.html

More

www.glgroup.com/News/Update-on-black-liquor-tax-credit-40090.html

Ground Effects NH
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
curtisfarmer

Thanks for the photos and keep posting:waving: What part of NH are you from or have been working. I myself work the lakes area.

Ground Effects NH
01-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Some interesting claims from GR......since I AM DRINKING SOME BEER..possibly a late night......:usflag:.I will have to wait to comment.:drinkup:

Don't kill a good buzz on this "GR" ankle bitter :drinkup:

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I just can't beleive you guys get more money for chips than lumber. You would see people cry grinding up logs that could be used for other uses.

It doesn't matter if it has bug holes that adds character when your making custom furniture wood.

Jimmyed
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I just can't beleive you guys get more money for chips than lumber. You would see people cry grinding up logs that could be used for other uses.

It doesn't matter if it has bug holes that adds character when your making custom furniture wood.

I think that's beech that chris is sitting on. That log would end up as a pallet or tie log around here. Ive seen oak logs ground up by the hundreds because it was cheaper to blow them into the woods than haul them to the mill. Yeah some tom dick or harry with a little wood shop would have had them milled but you don't make much money catering to him. He wants one log.

Only thing worth a **** right now around here is white oak and walnut.

NEUSWEDE
01-08-2010, 11:30 PM

I am just up the road from Curtisfarmer in Maine and yup chipping is big money I am the next town over from Sappi Paper mill and they truck chips there like it is no ones business. They have a storage yard that is huge, probably 100 yards wide by 300 yards long and 3 stories high that is all chips. They get so many chips per day that that have 2, yes 2 dumping landings that truck and trailer back onto and raises the whole truck to a 40 to 50 degree dump angle to dump the chippings to make dumping faster. So GR "around here" that is how they do it.

nedly05
01-09-2010, 08:18 AM
You dont see pulpwood here on trailers anymore, its all chip vans, only high grade pine or hardwood goes through on trailers, but the market is so rotten there really isnt much going on around here logging wise. What kind of money are you getting per thousand with that big pine curtisfarmer? I love cutting big pine! Do you own the logging biz?

Hey do you guys remember the show "Ice Loggers" on TLC or discovery last winter?? Wasnt that in Alberta? Seems like that was a MASSIVE chipping operation, like 24/7 with two whole tree machines going at the same time! No chipping in Canada? Huh!

curtisfarmer
01-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Our logging market has been decimated, lots of companies going under and visibly reduced opertaions. Big around here is a job with 4-6 skidders, whole tree chipper, everything mechanized, doing about 8-14+ loads chips a day and about 50-100 MBF saw logs a day.

A recent job in my neighborhood was enormous. The biggest stack of logs I have every seen on a landing, looked like a black and white photo from the past. One early winter evening on a cold December you could hear the trucks making the climb out of the river valley to the hills we live on around here. A huge fleet of low boys carrying what semed like a CAT army.....they just unloaded about 10 peices of huge equipment and started crashing thru the woods to get the stuff off the road. It looked like war of the worlds at night with smoke and equipment lights, huge machines just tearing up the forest trying to make an emergency equipment landing to get it off the street. Driving over huge trees with rock truck tailgates, tree shear howling, skidders raging thru the forest, and excavators installing culverts and stumping. All at night and that was the first wave of deliveries. They did 740 MBF in about 7 days....while stumping and picking up the slash in the whole area in the dead of winter and grinding it all up with a brand new CBI 1,150 HP grider. Awesom loud, you could here it for miles. The company Eastern Logging was all CAT with some Tigercat, had a complete fleet of CAT Forestry excavators, rock trucks, loaders, dozers, and everything else to complimnet the true forestry equipment. A fleet of CAT 545 skidders and tracked 330 D LLs Forestry log loaders. The pile of logs was just huge, like as far as a 330 D LL can reach, about 40'? As hitches came out of the woods to the pile the army of log loaders would handle, cut, stack, chipper, and what ever in a crazy frenzied ant colony like pace. All of the logs went to Canada and the cutting was done way before the logs could be trucked, they left part of the crew to deal with the pile. They needed trucks so bad a huge fleet of auto demo trailers with open tops came down and they just dropped the logs into the trailers like sticks. The trucks going to Canada have to be 80K LBS. GVW, tiny loads with logs about 5-6 MBF, but the few trucks the logging company had hauling to their yard where carrying like 150+ K!!!

Eastern Logging is now no more, that was their 2nd to last job, and the bank came with a fleet of low boys and away they went. Too big, too much equipment in a shrinking market around here.

Needless to say, it was all pretty impressive for eastern area forestry in the rural burbs. Up in our true forest areas of the state and ME, it is even bigger and 24/6 with multiple crews.

I was getting $200 per 1MBF sawlogs #2 and better with pallet logs at $50 per 1 MBF and $2 per ton chips. Basically about $1,100 per tractor trailer load of logs. Now, you may get 1/2 that. The logging market is a whores business, and most people get raped by loggers. I won't go into log scales and grading but in a nut shell 10% of the logs are 90% of the total$.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Around here all the timber comes off gov't land the logger has to bid on the timber sale. You guys log private land and never gets replanted so once its gone its gone. Here once a area is logged its replanted and can be logged again in another 10 years time. There are areas here where one logging contractor logged a area 15 years ago and went back and logged the area again.

It is called sustainable forestry there will always be marketable timber to cut.

A logging truck here can haul 30 ton of wood the logs are 60 feet long. Depending on the load your looking at 20 grand per truck load if its a load of premium western red cedar probably looking at 40 grand per load.

Forestry is big money for this province when California's building boom was going 90% of the wood come from B.C.

curtisfarmer
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I have been running 1 large logging job this winter, we did about 400MBF to date and about 1200 tons of chips. I had to stop due to the mud season road weight restriction. We will be restarting come May again for another 100MBF. Getting ready to roll a fairly large job May 1st which will be significcantly larger 143 acres, 10-12 loads a day. We are doing about 6 right now off 72 acres. Here are some of the feller bunchers I am using.

Having problems posting pics???

Jelinek61
04-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Thats some sweet equipment. I love watching big logging jobs.

curtisfarmer
04-11-2012, 08:37 AM
OK, pictures coming: 6 wheeled Timber Pro with intermitent head, Timbco with hot saw and new Timber Pro tracked shear with hot saw. Those tracks are almost 5' high and is a D9 size under carriage. :weightlifter::weightlifter:

curtisfarmer
04-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I just tried again and it keeps giving me some message about security tokens missing???

DirtMerchant
04-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Can i play at this game too?

curtisfarmer
04-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Sure, bring your Hitachi 750 and we can dig! I tried again, not sure what is going on, but will get these pics up. Sorry everybody.:cry:

GWhunter
04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I thought you were a wedding farmer, not a logger?

Matt

curtisfarmer
04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I run logging jobs in the winter. My 2 current projects are the largest I have done yet. I am the manager, I do not own any of the equipment. I think my problem is that my photos are on an external HD but I am not a computer guy so I have no idea. There is allot of logging going on around here, some serious volume. I just tried again from my iPhone as well, no good. I will keep trying since I think everyone will enjoy. Check out my wedding farm @ www.curtisfarm.com.