PDA

View Full Version : faveorite towing vehicle

AWilsonCreativeServices
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
What combination do you like or use to haul or tow your trailer(s)? What's your dream set up? Crew/reg cab, manual/auto transmission, short/longbed, gas/ diesel, 1/2-/3/4-1 ton or larger, etc.? Specific vehicle manufacturers, body styles, and/or engines are you partial to?

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
What do plan on towing ?

Anything big needs a dually you need the stability a srw may do it but boy are you asking alot from two drive tires.

As for engines diesels are not worth it they don't get the mileage and are not the best bang for the buck.

If you have a trailer in the excess of 10,000lbs that you pull daily your better off with a low pro medium duty. Something like a International or Freightliner the truck has a engine designed to go the miles so is the truck.

You guys in the USA are always skirting the fact you need a CDL and buying a undersized truck. It costs you in the long run in excessive maintenance and a truck that doesn't last.

poolboy
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
A 10 ton, no doubt! Maybe one of those earth movers.

AWilsonCreativeServices
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I already have my truck and trailers; I was just interested in what other people have, what they like and dislike about their vehicles, and what they'd really like to own.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Most people own trucks that they can drive as a daily driver and be used as a work truck. In my mind thou if you are pulling a mini excavator or a skid steer daily get a little single axle truck and have a smaller half ton as a daily driver.

Panhead
01-09-2010, 11:34 PM
94+ Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4, crew cab dually with a slushbox. Wish I had one.....

mike lane lawn care
01-09-2010, 11:50 PM
dodge T-rex 6x6, should tow a trailer pretty nicely

topsites
01-10-2010, 01:54 AM
It's never as easy as you make it sound, unfortunately more often than not it's a matter of what's available.
I give myself a 500-mile radius when I look for a truck, even then it takes time, 6-12 months, sometimes longer.

Once we get past the 1/2 ton these trucks start to become rare and hard to find, it's all too easy to find a full size pickup
but most are 1/2 tons so half the battle is just finding a truck that somewhat suits my needs and wants, in that order.
Then out of the few I do find I quickly realize the better part of those are overpriced, too far away,
high mileage, beat up or too old, or in several other ways not at all what I want.
Doesn't take long before I've passed up 90% of all the trucks for sale, not long at all.

But if I had things my way I would have a 3/4 ton standard cab with working A/C and stereo, a 5 liter (300 cid) or
thereabouts engine, a 3 speed O/D auto (or 5-speed manual) transmission, dual exhaust, 2wd and white exterior.

Never quite can get all of that in there, I get some of what I want, the rest I compromise.
Because it's also nice if it already has a truck box, split rear window is good to have as well,
power mirrors sure make short work of adjusting the passenger side one, and there are many
other features I would consider in ways of this compromise.

Price and ultimately value for my dollar plays probably the biggest role.

rcslawncare
01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I want a 2008-2010 Gm 3500, regular cab with 8 ft bed dually. Got to have the duramax and the allison. Dark Blue would be my choice.

Ozz
01-10-2010, 09:32 PM
F-450-F-550 long bed. ext cab,6.4/7.3 powerstoke Black/Dark Blue/Silver

KrayzKajun
01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
F-450 crewcab longbed!!!!