PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping estimate,, please help!!

fastrunner
05-25-2002, 07:38 PM
hi, i have to do a job that involves building up a burm and installing 10 white pines that are $90.00 each and putting plants like hostas, lillys, and ornamental grasses in.. The plants are the little stuff, but i am mainly worried about working an estimate up on the price of soil... Would I use all landscaping soil, or use sand at first for the burm... I dont even know how many yarsds I will need... The area is about 120 feet by 10 ft wide. and i want to make it about 3 feet high, like a rounded burm. I was thinking like 20 yards, but most of time i am way off with guestimates. If there is a formula, please let me know.. any help appreciated. jeff

AGLA
05-25-2002, 08:03 PM
120' x 10' = 1,200 SF
If you are going to be 3' high with rounded edges, I'll call it an average of 2' high.
1,200 SF x 2' =2,400 CF
/ 27 cf per yard = ~89 cy
Those darn word problems.

joshua
05-25-2002, 11:40 PM
need a lot more info. exactly how many of each plants, will you be useing any sand, how high will the berm be, will you roto-till the soil underneth the burm, will you be using a bobcat or any other heavy machinery, ect.

ok, use a very coarse sand that is .75 mm this will help to pack on more growth faster due to mush more macro pore space in the soil, i would say 4" maybe more, roto till in the soil, so you don't get a perched water table drowning the pines.

incase you forgot to think about how big the pines will get, eastern white pine or Pinus Strobus can grow as fast as 2' in height a year, and 1' wider a year, so 5 years down the road they may start to grow into each other, you may want to check for spacing again and change how you would plant them or the # of pines you install.

thats all i can think of for right now.

kris
05-26-2002, 09:37 AM
89 yards is right plus compaction. Call it 100 yds .. if your guessing 20 then your going to have big problems.

Use clay to build up your berm ...there is no way that you need that much topsoil for what you are planting .... use lots of soil around your trees and a foot deep for the rest of it.

This is heavy equipment work.

SCL
05-26-2002, 10:12 AM
If its 3' high in the middle and tapers to nothing I get about 66 yards. Figure 10 to 15 % for good measure and you get around 75 yards. Use fill dirt in the midlle and 3-5" topsoil. Don't forget to amend your plantings.