PDA

View Full Version : Toro Z149......fair buy, but parts?

tthomass
01-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Someone locally is selling whats below. I did some searching around and seems like a good machine. I'm concerned with it being an '02 and new models etc, will I run into issues getting parts? I've got my eye more so on an Exmark ZTR thats also for sale locally but found this too. I feel the Exmark is superior.

Why the engine has a rebuild so soon, I don't know and if they did it themselves I'll probably avoid it all together. If I can get it for $2,500-$2,800 I figure its a good deal.

2002 toro Z149 commercial zero turn mower,model #74179 toro z master with, 52'' sfs side discharge deck ,with a freshly rebuilt kawasaki 23 hp engine FH680V,the hour meter read 877 hours. i have cleaned this mower from one end to the other and have replaced parts that were damage or broken.the deck is in great shape all guage wheels are new, blade spindles are good 1 spindle is new. new gator mulching blades, new style grass deflector.fork casters, and wheel bearings, and seals are in good working order,all belts are like new or new.seat is in good shape with no damage, rear tires have 75%tread, fronts are new or like new.exhaust is in good shape no damage.hydrostatic system has been serviced and control dampers have been replaced. this will make some one a real good mower.

brucec32
01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
When reading these ads I try to look for clues that things aren't as claimed.

If it has 870 hours why is there a rebuilt engine? That could indicate higher hours (or it simply broke)

A new spindle at 870 hours isn't unheard of, but might also mean more hours than claimed.

He says he's changed a lot of broken or missing parts. That says "neglected machine" to me, as most responsible owners don't run them with broken and missing parts to any large degree.

Sounds like someone bought and fixed up a machine with some issues. But the real guts, the expensive stuff to fix, is still at least 870 hours old and nearing the time when repairs start being needed. hydro pumps, motors, clutch, even that engine are getting up there. It's a crapshoot really. It could be a bargain or a disaster.