PDA

View Full Version : Chamber of Commerce

twcw5804
01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
My local Chamber only charges $100 to join. Would help get a lot of business near my house. I live in a small town connected to a town of 60,000+ people. So the big city wants at least a thousand to join. I figure I've wasted $100 on worse. But I just wanted to know what everyones experience has been first because I have a very limited budget this spring.

TexasFire221
01-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Join there in your city and spend the grand in the other city. I live in a small town of 8,000. Cost me 120 year and the last two seasons I made close to $25,000 from the chamber JOIN JOIN JOIN!

Lugnut
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I just joined myself, so I can't speak on how it has or hasn't helped business, but I did get health insurance through them at a much more reasonable price than I could on my own

twcw5804
01-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Your gonna have to explain that one to me. How do you get health insurance by becoming a chamber member. Was it someone in the chamber that sold it to you, or is it offered by the chamber.

zturncutter
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Every chamber is different, some are very valuable to local businesses and some are not. My local chamber has never gotten a bit of work for my company over the years and have been a member 3 different times. Just went to the website and the info on directors etc. is 2 years old. Calendar of events is for December of last year.:laugh:

Landscape Poet
01-10-2010, 01:33 AM
My local Chamber only charges $100 to join. Would help get a lot of business near my house. I live in a small town connected to a town of 60,000+ people. So the big city wants at least a thousand to join. I figure I've wasted $100 on worse. But I just wanted to know what everyones experience has been first because I have a very limited budget this spring.

Decatur is a small enough area that you could make some good use of the Chamber and the contact that you make there. The main thing is that it is usually only as good as YOU make it. If you just throw up the $100 fee and expect business to roll your way I think you will be disappointed. However if you become a ACTIVE member then I am sure in the Decatur/Mt. Zion environment you will enjoy your returns through relationships develop because of your membership.
Same thing holds true for Knights of Columbus, Jaycees etc....if you are able to put the time in networking...it will pay out...but if you just join it does not usually give you results.

Michael

topsites
01-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Hard to say but why don't you visit your local CoC's Web site, see what it tells you?

I'm probably going to call mine Monday, see what I have to do, the Web site for mine has
a page listing all the benefits, sure enough health insurance is one of them.

MikeKle
01-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Just curious, what are the Knights of Columbus? I know my grandpa on my moms side was a pretty high up member of it back in the late 80s. But her whole family was 100% italians and I believe they are an Italian organization, but not sure what they really do? Same thing with the Masons too, I mow for a Masonic Lodge here and my good friend is a member, and he asked me to join, but I declined, as he would not tell me the "big secret" that supposedly all the Masons hold to, and will not tell you until you are a member? I dont really care though, but the Masons do pay their bill very quickly each month, so they are A-OK in my book!

Landscape Poet
01-10-2010, 03:50 AM
The Knight of Columbus are not so much a Italian organization but they are a Catholic organization. Essentially they do charity like other organizations and are for the betterment of the thee community.

Here is a link to the national website
http://www.kofc.org/eb/en//index.html

Oxmow
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I joined my local chamber here too. Abut 300 or so a year. An added advantage is that it makes you a member of our major city here as well. So it is exposure to about 850,000customers. I also joined to get the "Chamber Choice" product of BCBS healthcare for me and my employees. We do the local Knights of Columbus here as well.

JayD
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM

This is new news to me....How can joining this get you work, and what kind of work are you guys talking about, mowing, spraying, what?
Thanks for the info...

twcw5804
01-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I am joining to expand on mowing. I'm currently a small residential company and want commercial. Joining the local chamber will get word out of my company to small businesses in my area, allow me to attend local chamber events and network, setup booths at their yearly expo, which conviently is in early March. For me its the same price as a box of business cards, seems like it could work.