PDA

View Full Version : Oh don't you like it when your familly thinks you are a failure

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Yep thats right try be positive and hope I can get work on my own and get litterally kicked in the nuts and say you are useless.

I said to my parents that I was buying another truck something that will work better for my needs and then the chit hit the fan.

Way to be supportive of what I do nope just end up in a screaming match.

I try to explain the stress related problems I have with my gov't job and yes I do have stress problems. I try deal with it as best as I can it. Trying to get work part time doing what I want to do to keep my sanity.

Getting yelled at saying to have to work at a job you dislike it is a part of life. You have no life working for the gov't it is why I want to see if I can get some work going.

So ya I had a Bobcat Ron fight with the folks.

Isn't your familly supposed to be supportive of what you want to do not think your a failure.

AEL
01-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Prove them wrong Gravel rat. You can do it.

bobcat_ron
01-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Strut naked in front of them with your tally-whacker in your hands.

That will shut them up.

Worked for me.

Twice.

tmf lawn care
01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
:hammerhead:to much info ron bro :cool2:

cddva
01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
You live under their roof in their house, then you have to play by their rules. You don't like, move out. That's how it works for most of us. It's part of "growing up" and becoming your own man.

Junior M
01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
screw them dude.

You cant please everyone in your life. So just do what you want and they'll get over it..

punt66
01-09-2010, 08:53 PM
You live under their roof in their house, then you have to play by their rules. You don't like, move out. That's how it works for most of us. It's part of "growing up" and becoming your own man.

ding, ding, ding we have a winner. Gravel, you even sound like a pouting kid. Its time!

jimmyjack
01-09-2010, 08:56 PM
this i think explains alot about his posts all the time....

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't know what they expect last year was rough for work it was dead for everybody it wasn't that great in 2008 either.

I'am trying to hope that 2010 improves its been dead since late 2007. Wasn't it the way I buy a newer truck and the economy drops like a rock. The work I had was gone.

Things brought up about I quit working for the building supply wouldn't you if you ended up being a mechanic and a truck driver working for 8 dollars a hour.

I worked for contractors on and off but never and full time work. Went to work for one of the contractors for a year I would have been with them if I wasn't talked out of sticking with the gov't job. Working for the contractor was good wasn't big money. I had to make the choice the gov't said either you work for us or you quit.

The only thing I didn't like working for the contractor was I ended up being mechanic it wasn't what I was hired to do. I ended up with lots of pressure from the boss to keep the equipment running. He knew I was good at pulling wrenches and a welder so I ended up wrenching. Working on the trucks and excavators. I was run ragged I lost quite abit of weight and tired. I'am not a ticketed mechanic but I was doing anything that a ticketed mechanic would do. Pulling wrenches and welding is something I learned over the years.

My current situations what I have been told is keep the full time job and do work on the side. Anybody I have talked to it will help with relieving the stress. When I was cutting the firewood for the christmas money it felt good doing things again.

Yes I have to change trucks my current truck isn't working for my needs. My previous trucks worked okay but I had traction issues. I bought the F450 I have now I have run into some problems with it. This F-550 I'am looking at should work better for me for one it is a 4x4 which I should have bought in the first place years ago. The second problem it should give me more legal payload. I only need to haul 6000lbs legally that is 3 yards of gravel.

So I'am hoping people will spend money on landscaping this year.

Sam_French
01-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Well GR

I say read The Power of Positive Thinking its a GOOD book. Helps me a lot. Sounds like the Contractor did not respect you. Better off in my opinion not to be with them.
I work 2nd shift in a factory for now. I would hold off on buying a new truck for now.

Do you park your equipment at home? I would try to make peace with your parents. KEEP TRYING!!!!!!!!!!!! quitters NEVER win.

Have a nice day.

Sam

Heavyduty1
01-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Your parents won't always be around, so it's better to learn to grin and bear it. One day you will wish they were around to give you sh#t. :drinkup:

deere615
01-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Well I dont know your whole story but from what you said I would keep the full time job and hustle doing side work-this will keep you busy and away from the family!

YellowDogSVC
01-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Your parents won't always be around, so it's better to learn to grin and bear it. One day you will wish they were around to give you sh#t. :drinkup:

well put.. as a parent who gripes, I always tell my kids that.

backhoe
01-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Sometimes parents see things from a different perspective. I know I've learned alot with age, maybe they have too. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten came when I wasn't looking for any.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I have to keep using the cheap rent for now untill I try get things going with what I want to revive.

If I have to pay the 1200 a month rent there will be no way I can even try what I'am doing now.

punt66
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
excuses, my mortgage is $2300 a month plus utilities. Grow up man. Nothing personal.

2109 Stang
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I still don't get it ,why do they argue with you? is your money ,or did you talked to them for financing ? If that was the case than maybe they are right.

Now my advise to you is in this economy keep you full time job ,don't venture on another payment unless you know for sure is going to make you money ,which judging by your posts I don't think the economy is turning around in your area .

But if it is your money ,you want another truck your mind is set go for it.

2109 Stang
01-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Ron you make laugh ha ha ha ha ,I tell you i try one of your tricks with my parents I wouldn't' be here typing , but any ways that was funny .:canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Its my money or the banks money I can get a loan because I'am a gov't employee. I can get loans easier than my brother can who is self-employeed.

I calculated out what my payments would be it would be about 500 a month when I transfer the deck off of the truck I want to buy to my F-450 I can sell the truck.

The 550 I'am paying 20 grand plus tax for I can sell my current truck for 18,000 it will look good with the 12 foot deck. I shouldn't be out too much money ya I will never get what I paid for my F-450.

I bought the truck when prices where high. If I bought a new F-550 4x4 I would be looking at 58,000 for a cab and chassis.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2010, 11:38 PM
excuses, my mortgage is $2300 a month plus utilities. Grow up man. Nothing personal.

I can't afford a house. The bank requires 20% down the cheapest house around is 300,000 thats for a cheap shack. I need to put 60 grand down my morgage payment would be what my brother pays around 2500 a month.

Right now my brother has to sell his house at a loss to get out. His work went for chit and he can't keep up with the mortgage payments. You go from making 8-10 grand a month to 3 grand a month things get tough.

I can't even get approved for a mortage the bank requires you to have a annual income of 70 grand a year that is 30 grand more than I make per year.

tthomass
01-10-2010, 01:22 AM
My manager told me I would be, quote, "stupid" to think of starting my own business. He's eating is words now.

albhb3
01-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Ha you think your family is screwed up

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 01:43 AM
ROTFLMAO

What is next with you?

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 01:44 AM
I think my mother just doesn't get it. I do have job stress lots of the others that I work with suffer from the same. If I can do work on the side it will take my mind off of the other crap I have to deal with at my regular job.

I'am a person that likes doing things with my hands I like to see what I have done. When you do a clean up job and get a persons yard cleaned up and it looks good that makes a :)

Currently sitting behind a desk is boring getting tired of it but I need to stick with the job for now and do what I want part time.

albhb3
01-10-2010, 01:48 AM
I think my mother just doesn't get it. I do have job stress lots of the others that I work with suffer from the same. If I can do work on the side it will take my mind off of the other crap I have to deal with at my regular job.

I'am a person that likes doing things with my hands I like to see what I have done. When you do a clean up job and get a persons yard cleaned up and it looks good that makes a :)

Currently sitting behind a desk is boring getting tired of it but I need to stick with the job for now and do what I want part time.

I will try to never sit behind a desk, life is to short personally not to be outside. I couldnt stand working indoors at home depot for a year. Parents just dont get it lets face it you were suppost to go to some high end private college of some sorts... not as your second statement is.

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 01:50 AM

You have no stress.
You live with your parents.
You have nothing to lose.
You lose your job do you lose your house?

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 02:02 AM
I don't have the stress what my brother has with money. His work is very slow and he has lots of payments.

I have job stress from work it effects your body and what goes on in your head.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 02:03 AM
I don't have the stress what my brother has with money. His work is very slow and he has lots of payments.

I have job stress from work it effects your body and what goes on in your head.

Bleed Green
01-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Sometimes parents see things from a different perspective. I know I've learned alot with age, maybe they have too. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten came when I wasn't looking for any.

I would second that. I have learned a lot of things about life from my Grandpa just being around him everyday working. Sometimes things he tells me don't make sense at first but as I mature I understand what he was saying.

You just have to listen to people who have been around the block and keep working hard in what ever you are doing.

punt66
01-10-2010, 07:34 AM
You have no stress.
You live with your parents.
You have nothing to lose.
You lose your job do you lose your house?

ding, ding. Another winner. Hey Rat, you dont have stress yet. Your a mooch.

whosedog
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Yep thats right try be positive and hope I can get work on my own and get litterally kicked in the nuts and say you are useless.

I said to my parents that I was buying another truck something that will work better for my needs and then the chit hit the fan.

Way to be supportive of what I do nope just end up in a screaming match.

I try to explain the stress related problems I have with my gov't job and yes I do have stress problems. I try deal with it as best as I can it. Trying to get work part time doing what I want to do to keep my sanity.

Getting yelled at saying to have to work at a job you dislike it is a part of life. You have no life working for the gov't it is why I want to see if I can get some work going.

So ya I had a Bobcat Ron fight with the folks.

Isn't your familly supposed to be supportive of what you want to do not think your a failure.

Sounds like your parents are abusive,not physical just mental abuse which can hurt more. My father(may he rest in peace) never hit his wife or kids,but sometimes he had a bad temper and a sharp tongue that hurt more than a belt ever would.Now that I have kids of my own I try to be supportive of them but sometimes find myself saying things that I regret later,just like my dad.Last week I called one of my sons a ----ing idiot ,he looked at me and said "you made me what I am; it's your genes that created me."I apologized later and try to keep my emotions in check,I don't know why we sometimes hurt those we love the most.Maybe its the stress of too much time together stuck inside on these long winter days.I have to go to church today,sometimes that can help me get my priorities in order again.

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Sounds like your parents are abusive,not physical just mental abuse which can hurt more. My father(may he rest in peace) never hit his wife or kids,but sometimes he had a bad temper and a sharp tongue that hurt more than a belt ever would.Now that I have kids of my own I try to be supportive of them but sometimes find myself saying things that I regret later,just like my dad.Last week I called one of my sons a ----ing idiot ,he looked at me and said "you made me what I am; it's your genes that created me."I apologized later and try to keep my emotions in check,I don't know why we sometimes hurt those we love the most.Maybe its the stress of too much time together stuck inside on these long winter days.I have to go to church today,sometimes that can help me get my priorities in order again.

I think the only thing abusive is having to read posts by a grown man crying all of the time.

tnmtn
01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
GR,
it is hard to feel sympathetic, many of us feed families, pay for our own houses, insurance, equipment, shops, whatever. you pay for a truck and rent at mom and dads. the other thing is on these forums there are many who were the first to try things. whether it be KSSS and his laser grader or ARP and mulching. maybe not the first in the country but in their area. on the other hand we can go to the history of your posts and read endlessly on how things won't work in your area instead of how it can be adapted to work in your area. another funny example is your posts relating to needing a 4wd truck now. i remember a couple years back when you very clearly said repeatedly how its up to a drivers skill and how 2wd is all thats needed. well, apparently now you have learned diffrent. wouldn't it have been nice to learn from others suggestions then and not be in the place you are now.
you need to take a very big humility pill. maybe realize there are things you don't know and that instead of condemming what others do as impossible to work where you live think how to make it work.
As far as working with your hands. it sounds nice. almost rustic in the old pioneer spirit. but realize that most of the equipment folks on this forum run is to make work more efficient and cost effective than doin it by hand. you bring a shovel and rake and i'll bring my dingo and a couple attachments. lets see who finishes first and brings home more money after expenses.
you do have kowledge, i listened to it when i purchaased my F-350 idi. good call it has been everything and better than you described. try not to reinvent the wheel just modify it for diffrent applications.
if this becomes impossible for you and you make no more changes than the last 2 years then it may be your parents know you best. take their advice if you won't take ours. or prove them right.
not meant to bash you and i wish you

good luck,

ccstrebe
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm just reading between the lines here, but it sounds to me like the parents are wishing you were out on your own.

The way they are looking at it is if you are a grown man still living at home and can afford a new payment for something they don't think you need, then you should be using that money to support yourself instead.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you are over 25yr old then you should have been out on your own years ago. I got nine kids and the four oldest were all out on ther own or married by the time they were 20.

I suspect the parents have been a little lax with you on not kicking you out of the nest and now they are regretting it.

Just calling it like I see it, sorry dude.

punt66
01-10-2010, 11:14 AM

hahaha this post cracks me up. Abusive? If you mean by not pushing the little baby birdie out of the nest then i agree. But otherwise.. hahahahh

ksss
01-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Tnmtn said it as kindly and yet straight forward as possible. You would be good to follow the advice. I will add just one more piece of advice. After approx. 6 years of reading your posts, I think you need to some professional counseling. I am being neither funny nor cruel. I think you could benefit from learning how to cope with life. I don't know if mental health is also free in Canada, but even if it is not you should look into it. There is no shame in it. Most everyone can benefit from it, I know I have at different times. Look into it. You have some issues that you had better come to terms with.

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Tnmtn said it as kindly and yet straight forward as possible. You would be good to follow the advice. I will add just one more piece of advice. After approx. 6 years of reading your posts, I think you need to some professional counseling. I am being neither funny nor cruel. I think you could benefit from learning how to cope with life. I don't know if mental health is also free in Canada, but even if it is not you should look into it. There is no shame in it. Most everyone can benefit from it, I know I have at different times. Look into it. You have some issues that you had better come to terms with.

If GR went and seen some sort of professional counselor can you imagine how traumatic it would be for the Counselor!

YellowDogSVC
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I can't afford a house. The bank requires 20% down the cheapest house around is 300,000 thats for a cheap shack. .

It just blows my mind to think that property values are that high in BC. What if you move further out of town? heck, I live in an area where EVERYBODY in the 3rd world is moving to and $300,000 will get you something very, very nice with some property to spread out on. What is the big draw to BC that raises the prices so high? It can't be the weather? Someone explain this to me.

YellowDogSVC
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I
I got nine kids and the four oldest were all out on ther own or married by the time they were 20.

That's a lot of kids! Awesome. I imagine Thansgiving buys out half the supermarket! Any of your kids following your line of work?

bobcat_ron
01-10-2010, 02:48 PM
It just blows my mind to think that property values are that high in BC. What if you move further out of town? heck, I live in an area where EVERYBODY in the 3rd world is moving to and $300,000 will get you something very, very nice with some property to spread out on. What is the big draw to BC that raises the prices so high? It can't be the weather? Someone explain this to me.

Come to the West Coast and see for yourself, go to the Sunshine Coast, the Gulf Islands, Whistler, Sea to Sky Highway, Fraser Valley, Vancouver Island, I could go on and on, there is some extremely beautiful places here, we aren't called "Beautiful British Columbia" for nothing. My Mom and Dad had guests from Holland that own a private shipping and export company, he takes his wife with him on a huge barge/tug with a full apartment style living quarters on board, and he's been in every shipping lane there is in Europe. He's seen lots of country.
They spent 4 weeks here, and they were floored when they saw the West Coast. Everyone we have ever had the pleasure of putting up in our home for a few weeks is speechless when they see Hell's Gate or the Fraser Canyon in Fall. And that is the just beginning.
They are coming back with the entire family after the Olympics.

So basically, we have higher costs of living and property taxes because of our natural beauty here.

Ducati996
01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I have to keep using the cheap rent for now untill I try get things going with what I want to revive.

If I have to pay the 1200 a month rent there will be no way I can even try what I'am doing now.

sure, makes no sense...spend what you dont have, and if you cant afford if you were out on your own, good news...you shouldnt buy it...

now you just fall into the trappings of someone who just ducks the responsibility of growing up....creating an excuse of not being able to go out on your own because of your bills....that you alone created with some B.S reason....

Time to move out of your economically slumped area, and stop being a man/child who need their parents to put a roof over their head.....

Its simple, dont spend what you dont have...things that bad, you certainly cant afford to buy anything...period......your parents should ask you to leave
and have you figure things out for yourself....

2109 Stang
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
If GR went and seen some sort of professional counselor can you imagine how traumatic it would be for the Counselor!

Best post so far? don't know but it sure reminded me a a joke ,

After the counselor finished with the kid ,he came out and told the parents ,you should move

move? the parents asked
yes ,move and don't give this sob the new address.

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Come to the West Coast and see for yourself, go to the Sunshine Coast, the Gulf Islands, Whistler, Sea to Sky Highway, Fraser Valley, Vancouver Island, I could go on and on, there is some extremely beautiful places here, we aren't called "Beautiful British Columbia" for nothing. My Mom and Dad had guests from Holland that own a private shipping and export company, he takes his wife with him on a huge barge/tug with a full apartment style living quarters on board, and he's been in every shipping lane there is in Europe. He's seen lots of country.
They spent 4 weeks here, and they were floored when they saw the West Coast. Everyone we have ever had the pleasure of putting up in our home for a few weeks is speechless when they see Hell's Gate or the Fraser Canyon in Fall. And that is the just beginning.
They are coming back with the entire family after the Olympics.

So basically, we have higher costs of living and property taxes because of our natural beauty here.

So I guess no one owns Houses up there?

ksss
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM

We have "natural beauty" here as well. Not all areas like that are expensive to live but some are. Here is what average income people do.........they don't live there. Places like Sun Valley (world class skiing, play ground for rich and famous) Jackson Hole, Wy (same as above). People of average means live outside those areas and drive to said "natural beauty" areas to work if need be.

If you want to, you can find a way out of your parents basement. If you don't want to get out of the basement you will likely continue to create reasons why you can't.

bobcat_ron
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Only if you have 2 jobs, own a grow op, tied to gangs, or you have a spouse with the same income, it is tough to own a house here.
You can buy a $200,000, 1200 square foot house and still have to dump another $100,000 into reno's or buy a newer $300,000++ house and you have to look for one with a legal zoned lower/upper suite te rent out of you can't make the payments, despite what you think of GR's COL (cost of Living) moans and groans, it is tough here for a single person, I am in the same boat, but I don't complain.

ccstrebe
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
That's a lot of kids! Awesome. I imagine Thansgiving buys out half the supermarket! Any of your kids following your line of work?

We did have them all here this last thanksgiving!

My 25 yr old son has been working full time for me for the last five years. He runs the shop, I run the office, and my three teenage sons will work part time during the summer if I got extra work for them to do.

My 25 year old is in it for the long haul. The three teenage boys don't mind working there for extra cash but I don't know down the road. One of them is really into computer programming and is a math genius. The other two are not looking that far ahead yet.

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Only if you have 2 jobs, own a grow op, tied to gangs, or you have a spouse with the same income, it is tough to own a house here.
You can buy a $200,000, 1200 square foot house and still have to dump another $100,000 into reno's or buy a newer $300,000++ house and you have to look for one with a legal zoned lower/upper suite te rent out of you can't make the payments, despite what you think of GR's COL (cost of Living) moans and groans, it is tough here for a single person, I am in the same boat, but I don't complain.

Well someone has to own the houses up there?
A lot to build on in Atlanta was 500k.
Starter homes here where 200k+.
The Average home price in the early 2000 was at least 400k.
The desirable areas will take a Million to get into.

I do not live with my parents?
Heck I pay over a 1200.00 a month just for my Kids school.

treadlite
01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
In defense of the members here from BC, it is a difficult place for a person of average income to survive, for several reasons.....
In a lot of ways it's similar to what you see in Hawaii, (without the beaches, babes, great weather etc). Because of the mountainous terrain, land is in short supply, and couple that to a gorgeous coastline on the pacific rim, it attracts the wealthy from china, japan, korea etc and those who do business with those countries. Absentee owners, rich immigrants etc (including many americans) drive the prices of everything upwards. The average schmuck often has a tough time.....
Having said that, the attitude of a lot of people in BC is that the government should take care of them. For many years BC has had very socialistic governments that mollycoddled the populace, and provided government supplied benefits, subsidies, and handouts that you americans would be in awe of. A residual effect of that is seen in guys like GR, that can't come to grips with the fact that life is what you make of it and that hard work and risk taking has its rewards.
For you guys in the states, the harder you work, the better your sucess and the more prosperous you become, and your government (although you might debate it) tends to encourage sucess and stands aside tax-wise in comparison to canada.
In canada, the more you make, the higher your taxes. The medical system that we enjoy comes at the price of increased taxes, user fees, surcharges, provicial taxes, local improvement fees etc etc. We cannot write off the interest on our mortages on our taxes. We have to re-negotiate our mortgage rates every 3-5 years on our property, we don't get the long term mortgages you guys get down south. The lending practices of our banks are much more restrictive for credit here. (Since the recession hit, there hasn't been one bank failure or bailout in canada). All these things makes it more difficult here to be successful. Not impossible, but harder to do. Equipment, parts, fuel are all way higher here.
Take all these factors into account and add to it a crybaby attitude and lack of ambition and no risk tolerance, you can see that some people would rather navel gaze and stagnate.
Others of us bite the bullet and go for it.....:canadaflag:

YellowDogSVC
01-10-2010, 05:50 PM
We have "natural beauty" here as well. Not all areas like that are expensive to live but some are. Here is what average income people do.........they don't live there. Places like Sun Valley (world class skiing, play ground for rich and famous) Jackson Hole, Wy (same as above). People of average means live outside those areas and drive to said "natural beauty" areas to work if need be.

If you want to, you can find a way out of your parents basement. If you don't want to get out of the basement you will likely continue to create reasons why you can't.

We have natural beauty and an explosion in population in this area. The Texas hill country may not have 100' trees but we have lots of them, crystal clear creeks, canyons, and rock formations yet $300000 can get you something awfully nice and possibly a lakefront cabin.

We have celebs moving out here and building ranches. CEO's are retiring here and creating exotic game ranches and this area is known for world class whitetail hunting and exotic Africa style safari hunts yet acreage can be had for $10000 AC on smaller tracts and 2-3k an acre on larger tracts in many areas plus the weather is tolerable!

punt66
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
We have natural beauty and an explosion in population in this area. The Texas hill country may not have 100' trees but we have lots of them, crystal clear creeks, canyons, and rock formations yet $300000 can get you something awfully nice and possibly a lakefront cabin.

We have celebs moving out here and building ranches. CEO's are retiring here and creating exotic game ranches and this area is known for world class whitetail hunting and exotic Africa style safari hunts yet acreage can be had for $10000 AC on smaller tracts and 2-3k an acre on larger tracts in many areas plus the weather is tolerable!

I am on my way! My house goes on the market Jan 15! Hey Gravel Rat! You got an extra 399k sitting around? I have a nice pad here for you.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I went for a drive out around one of the subdivisions today looking at some of the 500,000 dollar plus houses that is just for the house the building lot was 500,000. Most of these houses are summer places for the rich people.

The property costs around here are pretty expensive anybody my age has no chance of buying you have to wait for your parents to pass away and inherit a house. Once you do better keep saving money for the annual property tax depending on the size of property it could be 10 grand a year.

It is the people with money driving out the working class in this area. These people buy expensive property build a big house and use it a month out of the year.

Drop in the bucket for some to spend 1.5 million on a summer place.

After driving around I'am definatly going to need a 4wheeldrive truck if I want to provide landscaping services to these houses. I don't know how the paving company paved some of these roads they are steep. They must have had to winch the pavement roller up and down. The screeder machine would have to be winched up as it spreads out the material.

When they built the road the excavator operator would have had to keep the seat belt on and the front window closed or he would have fell out of the machine. The homeowner will have to own a 4 wheeldrive SUV to even have a chance of climbing up and down their driveway. A front wheel drive car wouldn't do it.

Unbeleivable that you would pay 450,000-500,000 for a building lot that the access road is steep enough it requires 4 wheeldrive on dry asphalt.

I looked at the other building lots that haven't been developed yet there is no way my F-450 could even climb the driveways the truck powers out in Low gear.

Just the way it goes the easy building lots are gone and you push your vehicals and equipment to the maximum. As a hoe operator you have to be used to working on slopes that maxes out the machine your always borderline sliding with the tracks. Wearing a seat belt is a must or your not going to stay in the operators seat. A full tank of fuel is a must working on those angles you can starve the engine for fuel.

As for myself ever owning property here nope I'am here because my steady job is here. My brother is loosing his house can't afford to keep it anymore the work for a steel fabricator in the marine construction business went for sh*t. The young guys in the logging industry are barely paying for their houses logging is dead.

Have to see what 2010 brings the economy better improve lots of people on the verge of loosing everything they own.

AEL
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey gravel, just wondering why you have never posted pictures of these incredible locations?

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Because I don't own a camera and I'am not sure if the homeowners want their houses shown on the internet. People are a little funny that way they give you strange looks when you are even stopped in a vehical and looking.

A guy that Ron and I know got in some serious poo poo showing pictures of jobsites on the internet. Homeowners seen it got mad not a good situation. If I want to try get work with these people you want to keep in their good book. Even when I worked for the contractors they had a policy that you didn't say a word of what your doing to other people. Nothing was done illegally but the competition tries to find any thing to use against each other. In todays market its dog eat dog don't get in the way.

DeereMan85
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Sounds like if you had moved out of mom and dad's at a normal age, you could have made a lot of money by buying a house fifteen or whatever years ago and selling it in the current market. See where sitting on your hands gets you? There's nothing inherently wrong with having a low risk tolerance, but complaining when you don't reap the same rewards as the risk tolerant, gung-ho, generally ass-busting group of guys on here probably isn't going to get a lot of positive responses.

bobcat_ron
01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Sounds like if you had moved out of mom and dad's at a normal age, you could have made a lot of money by buying a house fifteen or whatever years ago and selling it in the current market. See where sitting on your hands gets you? There's nothing inherently wrong with having a low risk tolerance, but complaining when you don't reap the same rewards as the risk tolerant, gung-ho, generally ass-busting group of guys on here probably isn't going to get a lot of positive responses.

Oh hey, I just remembered, Deere sucks!

I just thought I'd get that out there, it's been a while and my Deeresucks-itis hasn't been acting up nearly as much.

tnmtn
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
maybe then it is time to throw in the towel. if things are that bad it seems time to decide if the annual income from part time work justifies buying a purpose built 4wd. from many of your posts it doesn't sound like it would. maybe at this point it would be better money spent to back down to a more fuel efficient 4wd personnal car/truck and use the money you would have spent to get some kind of education. there are all kinds of certs and schools that you can do trough the internet that would have you better prepared whenever this down cycle ends in your area. if it lasts 2 years that would be plenty of time to get certified in electrical or possibly even a tech degree in civil engineering to keep you in the dirt bussiness. maybe learn to set up satellite internet to keep the high rollers in touch at their cabin. many options out there. if things are as extreme as you say safety needs to be seriously considered. i don't know that the money is worth it to me to go tumbling down a mountain so someone can have a cabin in the woods. maybe it's time to drop back and punt. come up with a new plan instead of spinning wheels. no one cares what things are like where you live, ONLY WHAT YOU INTEND TO DO ABOUT IT. if you do nothing then you can bank on the fact nothing will change for the good. remember, if you aren't going forward you are falling behind not treading water. maybe start your next thread with what could be possible options for GR phase 2. you have well iinformed us about the conditions and bad gov't, we don't need to hear it again.

some people make things happen
others watch what happens
still others wonder ... what happened
Capt. James Lovell

Good luck.

AWJ Services
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
The funny thing is you can actually search Real estate on the internet and GR lives Not far from Vancouver. He has to take a Ferry to get there but he never the less lives 75 miles from there.
I searched the area and there are reasonable housing especially in Vancouver.
So why not Move.
I found multiple homes in the 100 to 150 k range.

So now whats your excuse?

punt66
01-10-2010, 09:04 PM
The funny thing is you can actually search Real estate on the internet and GR lives Not far from Vancouver. He has to take a Ferry to get there but he never the less lives 75 miles from there.
I searched the area and there are reasonable housing especially in Vancouver.
So why not Move.
I found multiple homes in the 100 to 150 k range.

So now whats your excuse?

its always an excuse. Always will be.

stuvecorp
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
maybe then it is time to throw in the towel. if things are that bad it seems time to decide if the annual income from part time work justifies buying a purpose built 4wd. from many of your posts it doesn't sound like it would. maybe at this point it would be better money spent to back down to a more fuel efficient 4wd personnal car/truck and use the money you would have spent to get some kind of education. there are all kinds of certs and schools that you can do trough the internet that would have you better prepared whenever this down cycle ends in your area. if it lasts 2 years that would be plenty of time to get certified in electrical or possibly even a tech degree in civil engineering to keep you in the dirt bussiness. maybe learn to set up satellite internet to keep the high rollers in touch at their cabin. many options out there. if things are as extreme as you say safety needs to be seriously considered. i don't know that the money is worth it to me to go tumbling down a mountain so someone can have a cabin in the woods. maybe it's time to drop back and punt. come up with a new plan instead of spinning wheels. no one cares what things are like where you live, ONLY WHAT YOU INTEND TO DO ABOUT IT. if you do nothing then you can bank on the fact nothing will change for the good. remember, if you aren't going forward you are falling behind not treading water. maybe start your next thread with what could be possible options for GR phase 2. you have well iinformed us about the conditions and bad gov't, we don't need to hear it again.

some people make things happen
others watch what happens
still others wonder ... what happened
Capt. James Lovell

Good luck.

Spot on and well said.

DeereMan85
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh hey, I just remembered, Deere sucks!

I just thought I'd get that out there, it's been a while and my Deeresucks-itis hasn't been acting up nearly as much.

Deere must not be that bad. I sell Deere and don't live with mom and dad. It's great being away from the parents: I can stay up as late as I want and haven't been grounded in years. You and GR should really give it a try. Thumbs Up

dozerman21
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Gravel Rat, just move to where Ron lives, go to work for his family or a similar company (didn't he tell you about some opportunities a while back?), and then you and Ron could rent a pad and be roommates. Problem solved, everbody's happy, and the basement(s) can finally be finished.

ksss
01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Deere must not be that bad. I sell Deere and don't live with mom and dad. It's great being away from the parents: I can stay up as late as I want and haven't been grounded in years. You and GR should really give it a try. Thumbs Up

Dam that was good.:laugh:

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 11:54 PM
All we can do is wait till February is over. Talking to some guys the other day they said the gov't has been spending 10s of thousands on stuff the tax payers don't know about for the olympics. The provincial gov't is hiring contractors to do work on the olympics that isn't in the news its all supposed to be kept out of the public knowlege. The gov't doesn't want to know that they have spending a extra 100,000 dollars or more.

Anybody that lives in the Lowermainland better be prepared for their taxes to increase over 100%.

With the B.C. gov't spending tax money with absolutely no say from the people when the sh*tty olympics are over the B.C. gov't says oh we spent half billion dollars now its time to pay for it.

Myself I have a guaranteed income for aslong as I want it. Myself or anybody that works for the muni have fairly gauranteed safe jobs. Anybody in the service industries have no gaurantees.

If I wanted too I could buy a excavator use my gov't job to pay for some of it work the machine for next to nothing get the jobs drive the competition out.

I could cut out landscapers too work for just enough profit to pay for things and the other guys couldn't compete. Would I do that no.

Nobody can undercut me because I'am not making my living with my truck. Once you get rid of the competition you end up with a monopoly and the rates go back up.

I sold my firewood for a cheap price I didn't make a big profit from it the wood sold quick because it was a good deal.

It is real easy for me to drive anybody that is my competition out of business if it comes to that I will.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Gravel Rat, just move to where Ron lives, go to work for his family or a similar company (didn't he tell you about some opportunities a while back?), and then you and Ron could rent a pad and be roommates. Problem solved, everbody's happy, and the basement(s) can finally be finished.

Kiewit put a screw to that the guys that are hauling the gravel were getting the boot because Kiewit didn't want to pay the rates. Typical Kiewit trying to do everything cheap so they screw their subcontractors.

AEL
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Ok Gr, you lost me big time.

I remember you saying a few post's ago, work was getting shaky and that they were looking for any excuses to fire people, now you say your job is really secure.

Then in the same post you say that you wont undercut anyone, and by the end of the post if you have to you will?

Shadetree Ltd
01-11-2010, 12:15 AM

While the area is beautiful, not unlike many other places you guys have mentioned, our real estate is inflated for one simple reason, GEOGRAPHY. To the west we have the Pacific Ocean, to the south Washington State and to the east the Rocky Mountains. Our inventory of land is quickly diminishing. In a single day you can golf world class courses (just not PGA courses), experience world class salmon and sturgeon fishing, skiing, hiking, cold water suba diving and the list does go on. Almost all of these activities are available YEAR ROUND. Our winter average temp is 42 and summer is around 80. I live 40 minutes outside Vancouver and a 4000 square foot lot right now is worth around $350,000. That is an empty lot.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Ya my job is on the line so I have to watch what I do. The managers make threats but it usually never goes much farther. It will if the provincial gov't screws up this province real bad because the olympics turns into a huge flop.

If the Olympics flop which I think they will tourist don't want to come to a city that people are going to gouge them on accomodations. People are trying to rent their houses for 10 grand a month. Tourists know when they are getting screwed.

The gov't has spent over half billion dollars worth of our tax money on a whim that these olympics will bring tourist to this province.

The gov't wants to make money tap into the trillion dollar drug trade this province has.

As for undercutting its not something I do but if somebody pizzes me off I will drive them out of business. I held the monopoly on the area for a long time then the fly by night people showed up.

These guys that go in and do demo clean up and charge the homeowner for landfill fees but take the garbage up some back road and dump it off. I don't do that I'am legal everything I do is legal when it comes to disposing of debris. These fly by night azzholes dump a load of drywall in the bush it is very illegal.

With the landscaping it is a tough business around here everybody and their dog is a landscaper now. There is only one landscaper I promote I worked with him and he does good work. He isn't busy he went from having 6-7 guys down to having 1. I got tired of fighting homeowners over bills when I was in the landscaping business.

Everybody you deal with now is C.O.D. I usually don't like taking checks from people only cash. You have to watch some of these b*stards writing checks that bounce or bank accounts that don't exist. You go back to get your money they hide from you and try avoid you.

It is real easy to screw these people all you do is go to the building suppliers tell the store manager that the homeowner don't pay their bills. The homeowner's name is listed in plain view of everybody that they are on the C.O.D. list do no accept checks.

bobcatuser
01-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Myself I have a guaranteed income for aslong as I want it. Myself or anybody that works for the muni have fairly gauranteed safe jobs. Anybody in the service industries have no gaurantees.

If I wanted too I could buy a excavator use my gov't job to pay for some of it work the machine for next to nothing get the jobs drive the competition out.

I could cut out landscapers too work for just enough profit to pay for things and the other guys couldn't't compete. Would I do that no.

Nobody can undercut me because I'am not making my living with my truck. Once you get rid of the competition you end up with a monopoly and the rates go back up.
I sold my firewood for a cheap price I didn't make a big profit from it the wood sold quick because it was a good deal.

It is real easy for me to drive anybody that is my competition out of business if it comes to that I will.

Kiewit put a screw to that the guys that are hauling the gravel were getting the boot because Kiewit didn't want to pay the rates. Typical Kiewit trying to do everything cheap so they screw their subcontractors.

Ok...so you admit to having the same business plan as the subcontract gravel trucks working for Kiewit....But some how it's Kewits fault for paying the gravel trucks the rate they bid for the job?????????

Just for the record.

1. You will go broke cutting your rates trying to drive the competition out of business. Then try to get the rates up:dizzy:
2. In less you have government regulation you will never have a monopoly.

Feel free to proceed with your business plan. I wish you good Luck.:canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 01:35 AM
You have to watch Kiewit they are burning lots of bridges with subcontractors in this province. I know one of them that will not do work for Kiewit ever again. Even the gov't contractors just shake their head. Big mistakes and lots of excessive costs.

Right now Kiewit is dealing with Lafarge Canada for the Port Mann Bridge expansion they won't be screwing with Lafarge them thats for sure.

I won't go broke if I'am working for expenses and once the competition is gone I'am back up to the rates I was at. I was the one that got the rate as high as they are now. With my F-450 I charge 60 dollars per hour it was 30 dollars per hour when I started 15 years ago.

bobcatuser
01-11-2010, 01:53 AM
While the area is beautiful, not unlike many other places you guys have mentioned, our real estate is inflated for one simple reason, GEOGRAPHY. To the west we have the Pacific Ocean, to the south Washington State and to the east the Rocky Mountains. Our inventory of land is quickly diminishing. In a single day you can golf world class courses (just not PGA courses), experience world class salmon and sturgeon fishing, skiing, hiking, cold water suba diving and the list does go on. Almost all of these activities are available YEAR ROUND. Our winter average temp is 42 and summer is around 80. I live 40 minutes outside Vancouver and a 4000 square foot lot right now is worth around $350,000. That is an empty lot.

Don't forget we have the largest shipping port in Canada = world import/export distribution networks warehouses and transportation. Two of the major universities have over 80,000 enrolled students. We are the third largest film production center on North America after LA and New York.

All this makes us have the second most overpriced real estate in North America to LA, we even have California style buildings that we call "leaky condos" because of our wet climate.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Vancouver is going to have a problem and its excessive debt. The City will have to raise taxes to pay for all the stuff that has been built. Businesses are already struggling the city jacks up the taxes business can't take it and close.

Look at the Province/Sun paper the company that owns it is going broke. The two Iconic news papers could be gone.

The provincial gov't thinks Vancouver has a homeless problem now its going to get worse if small businesses move out of the city because they can't afford it anymore.

What was driving the realestate prices up in other parts of B.C. was Albertans thats not so in todays market. The USA buyers dropped off to nothing there used to be lots of American buyers when the CND dollar was low. Now that the dollars are so close in value it is cheaper for CNDs to buy in the USA than it is here.

All we can do is wait till next month is over and we get into March.

It sure does feel like Winter Olympics when its pouring rain sure hope it turns into a monsoon for the month of February :laugh:

AWJ Services
01-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Well I can show you lake front property here in the North Georgia Mountains where people are paying a Million Dollars just for the right to lease the property. Yep thats lease it.

You guys (contrary to what you think) do not have excessivley high living expenses nor do you have a corner on the only beautiful peice of land in North America.
Hey! It's 2010! Wake up.

bobcat_ron
01-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Just to set the record straight, on our end of the gravel hauling that Kiewet is getting, we are really f***ed up right now, 1 of the biggest pits that is supplying gravel, 2 partners have gotten into fist fights now because of the trucking rate under cutting going on at the other end, so now Kiewet is screaming for gravel, so they have to buy the pits off Sumas Mountain to keep their supply going.

And I will be living on my own in 2 years, completley on my own, no roomies allowed.

Unless that roomy is female.

Better strap on a good looking set if tits and a brunette wig if you wanna live with me GR.

tnmtn
01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
so after reading your last few posts their is still no indication about what YOU are going to do to move forward in any direction outside of "wait till Feb." but then again i guess you have time to kill.
good luck,

Shadetree Ltd
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Well I can show you lake front property here in the North Georgia Mountains where people are paying a Million Dollars just for the right to lease the property. Yep thats lease it.

You guys (contrary to what you think) do not have excessivley high living expenses nor do you have a corner on the only beautiful peice of land in North America.
Hey! It's 2010! Wake up.

I would not want facts to get in the way of a good opinion. :rolleyes:

AWJ Services
01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I would not want facts to get in the way of a good opinion. :rolleyes:

It works for Canadians!:drinkup:

DirtMerchant
01-12-2010, 09:25 AM
What are you like 12 years old with daddy issues? Grow the **** up.

Who gives a **** about what your family/friends/or anyone thinks about you.

At the end of the day you're the only one you have to be able to go sleep/wake up with.
Figure out your ****, be happy with yourself.

I'm sitting in school for courses my family thinks are dead end jobs. Half my family dis-owned me because I stopped going to church. And by half I mean 50+ people I saw regularly. The only person that may be worth spending your whole life trying to impress is a woman aka a wife. And that is debatable.

wannabemowing
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
What are you like 12 years old with daddy issues? Grow the **** up.

Who gives a **** about what your family/friends/or anyone thinks about you.

At the end of the day you're the only one you have to be able to go sleep/wake up with.
Figure out your ****, be happy with yourself.

I'm sitting in school for courses my family thinks are dead end jobs. Half my family dis-owned me because I stopped going to church. And by half I mean 50+ people I saw regularly. The only person that may be worth spending your whole life trying to impress is a woman aka a wife. And that is debatable.

Very well said, this thread is just a bunch of pissing and moaning with no solution about how GR is planning on changing things. Numerous people on here will post threads complaining about something but the major difference is everybody else does something about it!! That's why these guys run successful companies they roll with the punches even when times get tough and they adapt. It's all part of life!! Might want to take some notes from these guys GR.

alco
02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
It works for Canadians!:drinkup:

Hey, Hey, Hey, don't lump us all in with this reject. I like facts to be facts, not just opinion. Some here....I'm not saying who....seem to think if it occurs to them, then it must be fact. But not all of us Canucks are like that.

alco
02-06-2010, 03:18 AM
Myself I have a guaranteed income for aslong as I want it. Myself or anybody that works for the muni have fairly gauranteed safe jobs.

And then 4 posts further down the line.

Ya my job is on the line so I have to watch what I do. The managers make threats but it usually never goes much farther.

Way to contradict yourself. I think your family is right.

dKoester
02-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Hilarious!!!!!!!!!

DaveAust
02-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Hi GR, take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Guaranteed to be the best advice on this forum and it's tailor made for you.Thumbs Up

Other than that, this thread is like some kind of slow motion mental/emotional train wreck. Why would you think posting a thread such as this is going to change the way your family is? Aren't you embarrassed to even do a post like this with your attitudes/reputation?

If your family read this post they'd probably think they were damn right about you. This type of thread is what you'd talk about to a qualified psychologist, seriously man. The Internet forums are not your therapist.

So get help or "harden the f*** up" You're in such a deep rut you can't seem to see out of it even when people tell you what it's really like above the rut.

We're all tryin' to help if you'd only listen, Dave (Australia)

Scag48
02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
That video was awesome. Gotta love Aussies. :laugh:

Lazer_Z
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
That video was awesome. Gotta love Aussies. :laugh:Ditto, That was too funny. Watch some of the others as well, that guy is funny as hell!

Mjh Excavating
02-06-2010, 02:55 PM
For a while I was starting to think GR worked for lawnsite, these threads just go on and on:hammerhead:, I have now come to the conclusion that you just cant make this s##t up.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Well the familly got over the fact I bought another truck :laugh:

The economy isn't looking so well yet so I'am glad I have a full time job. Talking to one of the neighbours and a few of his friends are laid off and don't know when they will be going back to work. My brother is having a tough time the companies he works for are not doing so well.

Even the larger companies are not paying bills some owe other companies over 100 grand. Alot of the small companies like excavation contractors have stopped paying their bills they are running out of money.

It doesn't looking like things are getting better I think there will be companies going T/U pretty quick they can't hang on for much longer. The people they worked for are not paying the bills so they can't pay any of the bills.

I think the equipment dealers are not repo'ing any equipment because there is no market for it. The last couple Ritchie Bros auctions guys are taking 50,000-100,000 dollar loss on equipment.

Have to see what happens the gov't says the un-employment rate is 8% I think its a little higher than that its pushing atleast 12%. Lots of self-employeed contractors are sitting at home making no money.

tnmtn
02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Well the familly got over the fact I bought another truck :laugh:

The economy isn't looking so well yet so I'am glad I have a full time job. Talking to one of the neighbours and a few of his friends are laid off and don't know when they will be going back to work. My brother is having a tough time the companies he works for are not doing so well.

Even the larger companies are not paying bills some owe other companies over 100 grand. Alot of the small companies like excavation contractors have stopped paying their bills they are running out of money.

It doesn't looking like things are getting better I think there will be companies going T/U pretty quick they can't hang on for much longer. The people they worked for are not paying the bills so they can't pay any of the bills.

I think the equipment dealers are not repo'ing any equipment because there is no market for it. The last couple Ritchie Bros auctions guys are taking 50,000-100,000 dollar loss on equipment.

Have to see what happens the gov't says the un-employment rate is 8% I think its a little higher than that its pushing atleast 12%. Lots of self-employeed contractors are sitting at home making no money.

sounds like everything is in your favor then and the timing was excellant for you to invest in a newer truck for "business". you should get an great return on your investment.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I want to be ready to go to work if things do change I'am ready to go. Usually a little spurt of work happens and if your not ready you miss the boat which I did last year.