PDA

View Full Version : Anti Rust

tthomass
01-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Looking for something to help protect my trucks and equipment from salt when we do snow removals. WD40 would be a rather expensive route to spray down the frame, bed and other surfaces. Options?

Is diesel a possibility? Yes, let it dry before operating.......idk, what can I use besides WD40?

duramaxc4500
01-10-2010, 12:51 AM
i've been hearing fluid film is excellent. been dying to try, closest dealer is a ways out for me.

mrsops
01-10-2010, 01:14 AM
WD40 is a waste.. I just bought fluid film cant wait to use it on monday

Gravel Rat
01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Fluid film is the most enviromentally friendly but hydraulic oil works good aswell. You can get Fluid film in gallon jugs and get one of those pesticide sprayers it works at applying it.

Fluid film is fairly common here I use it all the time its not cheap the d*mn stuff went up in price :cry:

My dad uses hydraulic oil because it is cheaper again uses a pesticide sprayer you know the ones you pump up.

Get the thin light viscosity hydraulic oil the 10w stuff will do all you are doing is preventing rust.

I would avoid using diesel fuel the stink will drive you nuts.

Junior M
01-10-2010, 10:58 AM
WD40 actually contains water, so thats a negative in my book..

Fluid film is awesome and like GR said, buy it in a gallon can and spray it on. Its real thick and will stay for a while..

I wouldnt use any oil just for the fact thats it sticky and could make a mess of a truck..

WillieWonka1850
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I vouch for Fluid Film also Thumbs Up

YellowDogSVC
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I tried the sample of fluid film and used it on my hitch ball and for lubricating the slides on my chipper rollers which get a lot of dust and debris. That stuff does hold up very well.

2109 Stang
01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I use hydraulic oil ,I save all my hyd oil when I change it on my machine and from my dump trucks, it works well ,I don't drive on snow but I live in a salty enviroment all year round .

DVS Hardscaper
02-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Road salt has destroyed the powder coat paint on my truck's dump body. To the point where the body needs removed from the chassis, sandblasted, and re-painted. And the truck has barely been driven on salty roads!

Bigred350
02-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Fluid film is the best!!!! If there are no dealers in your area call fluid film and become a dealer. All you have to do is buy 2 cases and your in. Thats what I did.

twward
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I know this is going to sound crazy and you may not want to do this, but try a toilet bowl wax ring. I have some friends at fertilizer plants that have used these and they work way better than any petroleum product. One of the guys at the fert. plant just found some type of liquid wax. That would be another option. Like I said, sounds crazy but it works and you won't have the petroleum smell.

Marek
02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Use the Fluid film and a under coating spray gun and soak everything down. This is our second winter using it and I cant say enough good things about it. Under bodies and frames all still look like new . Everything gets coated down before the first snow and again after the final spring clean up. Our Plows and spreaders are all off the trucks now and coated with fluid fild. New skid loader wasnt 30 minutes old before it had is first coating.

Stillwater
02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
its not for everyone but I use mil-spec cosmiline

shooterm
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
How would you apply cosmline? Kinda expensive and maybe be a pain in the arse if you needed to get to bare metal again.

Stillwater
03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
How would you apply cosmline? Kinda expensive and maybe be a pain in the arse if you needed to get to bare metal again.

That's why its not for everyone the stuff I have is hyper expensive. Military surplus (compound cutback Mil-C16173A AM 2 grade 2) about 250.00 for a gallon. they still make this grade and it can be bought but given the cost you need to be serious about your desire to prevent rust. their are different grades you can buy that are more wallet friendly you can go hear http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/ and buy it in aerosol cans or gallons. although they don't sell the grade I use. Their are also different types of cosmoline, some dry amber, some semi dry tacky and their is a lube type. cosmoline can be applied with a brush and the thicker grades can be heated and sprayed under pressure. strong solvent will remove it or it can be sanded off or heated and wiped off but it is a project. Look at cosmoline for long term protection but I also am a huge fan of Fluid Film a serious product that works.