PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt Removal

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
05-26-2002, 01:05 AM
I did a search and found nothing. I have an area about 500 sq ft that I need to remove 250 sq ft of pavement from. The area is not accessable to a bobcat or mini excavator. Should I use a concrete saw and cut the area in half and use a pickaxe to breakup? The asphalt is pretty old looking with some cracks. It appears to be about 3-4 " thick. We will be replacing the area with topsoil and sod. A clean edge is desirable. Any help would be appreciated.
Kerry

site
05-26-2002, 01:23 PM
Cut a clean edge with the cutoff saw, then hit the asphalt with the pointed end of the pick about 2' away fron the edge. Make holes about 1' apart. Next take a pry bar and something to pry against- like a brick, and pry free the piece you marked out with the pick. Load up and take it to the asphalt plant for disposal (usually its free). Watch out for road rash when picking up the asphalt

SCAPEASAURUSREX
05-27-2002, 11:01 AM
site , What do you mean to watch out for road rash...

I agree.. Use a demo saw to cut a clean edge and then use a pick to rip it up, You can even just use the pick and slam it into the ashphault and then pry up with the pick , especially if it's old and decaying already.... Usulally comes up pretty easily...

site
05-28-2002, 10:03 PM
You know-ROAD RASH the scrapes you get when you fall off your bike. The asphalt is just as abrasive when its in 2' x 2' chunks.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
05-29-2002, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.