PDA

View Full Version : Truck Enthusiasts!

g21
01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey for you guys who really like to dress up your trucks, TJ will now have his own lessons on teaching you how to dress up your work trucks. He's really talented!

He's shooting some really cool episodes...you're going to like them!

SNAPPER MAN
01-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Dress up a work truck? You mean waste money right? lol

Juan91
01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
i agree!!!! hehe

topsites
01-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I pride myself on how long I can let it go between washing it, the last time
I went just past two years, this lets the truck get a type of layered grime built
up that makes it look like it just came in off a 4,000 mile road trip.

That what you mean?

I did, however, order 100 feet of 409 racing spark plug wires, the boots and clips and all of that,
so I'll be busy fabricating my own wires from here on out, it's got a Mallory high performance coil and
I also bought Accel cap and rotor, that's in addition to running premium fuel and synthetic oil in it,
of course it has a high performance air filter as well.
I keep up on the rest of the maintenance best I can, transmission fluid and filter gets changed every year,
the spark plugs are getting replaced this year, the wheel bearings are greased, the brake pads are good as of
a year ago, the pcv valve and hose just got replaced, the O2 sensor has less than 20k miles on it, and so on...
Oh yeah, new tires as of March of '09.
That's where my money goes, where it counts the most.

g21
01-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure if you're kidding? It seems as if so many of the LawnSite members are always asking how to get more business and really grow your company. First impressions are so important when approaching "potential" clients or letting your community see what type of company you are.

So many times a small contractor might spend a thousand dollars on a mailing campaign like postcards, flyers, etc. Then it's gone. But a few hundred bucks to dress up a truck lasts for years and is seen every day!

I can't tell you how many times I've had customers tell us that their initial thoughts when meeting us were, "if you take that much pride in your trucks, I can only imagine how much pride you must take in your work!"

Listen, if your companies are growing and thriving, it's a moot point - I wouldn't change a thing! My invitation was to guys who are looking for things that can give them a leg up.

I'm just trying to share things that I know work...either for my own company or companies I have worked with.

bohiaa
01-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if you're kidding? It seems as if so many of the LawnSite members are always asking how to get more business and really grow your company. First impressions are so important when approaching "potential" clients or letting your community see what type of company you are.

So many times a small contractor might spend a thousand dollars on a mailing campaign like postcards, flyers, etc. Then it's gone. But a few hundred bucks to dress up a truck lasts for years and is seen every day!

I can't tell you how many times I've had customers tell us that their initial thoughts when meeting us were, "if you take that much pride in your trucks, I can only imagine how much pride you must take in your work!"

Listen, if your companies are growing and thriving, it's a moot point - I wouldn't change a thing! My invitation was to guys who are looking for things that can give them a leg up.

I'm just trying to share things that I know work...either for my own company or companies I have worked with.

WOW. I've never herd that one before. Most of what I hear is. WOW if you spend that much on your truck. that means your getting it from me.

nothing wrong with having a clean truck and equipment. however I think the same when I see a fancy truck.

grassyguy
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Where do we find these episodes?

OrangeToys
02-13-2010, 10:33 PM
I just watched the video and Im so excited to see what is to come. I love doing stuff to my truck when i have the money.

One thing I would like to see is adding strobes. even a nerf bar that looks tough on the truck.

g21
02-14-2010, 05:54 PM
TJ has been real busy with our winter plowing operation, but he sill start producing the episodes as soon as he gets a break. Thanks for your interest!

Rivervalleylawns
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
If you are talking about lettering then I agree 100%. I just got a new crew cab and I am really excited on the design process.

If you are talking about another one of the 50k work trucks your nuts.

OrangeToys
02-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I like the lettering concept too.

fiveoboy01
02-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Dress up a truck? Really?

Waste of money, unless it's lettering.

I can't count how many contractors I see with jacked up Super Dutys with big rims and tires and brush guards and diamond plate and a million LED lights, and I laugh at them.

There is a good case for keeping your equipment clean and well-taken care of... Trucks are for work, not showing the world how much money you have or can waste.

topsites
02-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah right, might make me look like some furious ricer more intent on making my car look good than their yard,
either way that's the customer's money I'm spending and I'm not about to flash it in front of them in this way.

And I'm wondering if they weren't trying to tell you something in a nice way...
I'm sure most customers realize where their money is going, too.

Richard Martin
02-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Hey guys. There's nothing wrong with making you're truck look good or stand out from the crowd a little. I do get compliments from time to time from my customers about my truck. All I did was put some wheels and tires on it and spray some black paint here and there. You guys can at least look at one of the videos before you beat up on Tommy for suggesting it.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/truck6.jpg

TheC-Master
02-15-2010, 05:23 AM
I agree with you there. Nothing wrong with making your vehicle look good, my customers love my trucks. They tend to think you are successful and have many customers, they should realize that they aren't the only person paying for your company and mine are glad I'm a success and I thank them. Just be wise about how much you spend on it vs how much you make.

T.M. LAWNS
02-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Hey guys. There's nothing wrong with making you're truck look good or stand out from the crowd a little. I do get compliments from time to time from my customers about my truck. All I did was put some wheels and tires on it and spray some black paint here and there. You guys can at least look at one of the videos before you beat up on Tommy for suggesting it.

That's a nice looking truck Richard. :drinkup:

g21
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
It's funny, the kind of comments some of you make are the reason I have been spending less time on here. I recently met many people including vendors at the NE Grows show who say the same thing about LawnSite. Many great guys who are eager to learn from others and so many negative, arrogant people who not only aren't open to new ideas, but slam others who are doing things that have proven to be successful.

I'm sure TJ will make clear in his videos how much "value" customizing his trucks have brought to our family business. But I will mention what I think was one of the biggest. He recently got a call from the owner of a local fert/pest company saying that he wanted to meet with us. Tommy went out to meet with the owner and he said that he wanted to start referring all of his lawn maintenance requests to us. He had been seeing our pick-ups around with the custom wheels and grilles and loved the way they looked. He said that if we cared that much about our trucks, we must take great pride in our work. These were "his" words, not mine. TJ picked up at least 10K in work from him last season and is already bidding more from him for the upcoming spring - all because he liked the way our trucks looked!

We're spending the customers money? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard...(even on the forum -and that's saying a lot)

You see, when a company makes a profit, you have to pay crazy taxes on those profits at the end of the year. So we choose to take a small amount of those profits each year and put them back into our fleet. We found that it has reaped us "huge" benefits in many ways, and the bonus is being able to drive around in nice looking trucks.

TJ is planning on doing interviews with contractors who share this philosophy and have them share with ALMA members how they feel it has benefited their companies. Some of you obviously won't be interested in those interviews, but I'm sure some of you will get a lot out of them!

I'll keep those who are interested posted on when they come out.

TheC-Master
02-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Well the biggest poison to a big thinker is a small thinker, you're always going to have that around.. I think it is a good idea, if you use it correctly and effectively. I'm interested in seeing some.

DLAWNS
02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Tommy--don't let some dudes bring ya down on here. Not saying in this case or all cases but a lot of times the guys doing the bashing on this site are the guys with no vision. They have their one truck, one or two mowers and can't see anything past that. Not saying there is anything wrong with being a one truck operation, if you are making money and accomplishing your goals than that's all that matters, but its the guys that don't understand that sometimes putting out a little extra money will make you more successful in the long run that are the ones flapping their gums about this and that. People on here sometimes get very nervous when people with lots of experience come on here. It's like they get threatened. Keep up with what you are doing Tommy!

meicher806
02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I totaly agree a good looking truck can be a great sales tool I go with the idea of keep it nice yet professional. here is 1 of my trucks. i do a little something to them each year. the chevy will be getting new paint this year with line-x bed liner covering the tan not sure what the dodge will get this year, thinking maybe a light bar on the roof.

Richard Martin
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
not sure what the dodge will get this year, thinking maybe a light bar on the roof.

Something like this would look good up there...

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/images/Lightbars/Justice/Applications/hiresweb/justice-amb-roof.jpg

It's a Whelen Justice® JY WeCan® Series Super-LED® http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=4&cat_id=17&prod_id=395

meicher806
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Something like this would look good up there...

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/images/Lightbars/Justice/Applications/hiresweb/justice-amb-roof.jpg

It's a Whelen Justice® JY WeCan® Series Super-LED® http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=4&cat_id=17&prod_id=395

That is 1 of the ones i was looking at, im thinking about getting 1 with some take down lights in the front and rear so when we are working at night there is more light on what we are working on.

93Chevy
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
I love the look of a simply customized truck. I agree with some on here...big tires, extreme accessories may be a little much for a work truck. But I can tell that somebody who takes care of their trucks and personalizes them while keeping it professional really cares about their business.

I just painted my faded diamond plate toolbox gloss black and it looks fantastic. If I can keep my truck, although it's older, taken care of and clean-looking, I'll be happy. I just wish I had more money to spend on it.

Lugnut
02-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree that there's nothing wrong with some customizing as long as its professional. I can't say whether it will get you more business or not, but I can say that clean trucks will. I've gotten jobs from people I've met at the gas station filling up mowers when they saw a clean and waxed truck and trailer, and all 8 tires with some black magic shine on them. And that truck was a bone stock 98' chevy, but the cleanliness is what got it noticed.

fiveoboy01
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
It's funny, the kind of comments some of you make are the reason I have been spending less time on here.

Then there's the door, don't let it hit your butt on the way out. It's a message board, if you can't handle a conflicting opinion, then you shouldn't be posting here.

I recently met many people including vendors at the NE Grows show who say the same thing about LawnSite.

Same with them. Bye.

Many great guys who are eager to learn from others and so many negative, arrogant people who not only aren't open to new ideas, but slam others who are doing things that have proven to be successful.

I'm not being negative nor arrogant. As I said there is a case for keeping your truck clean and new looking, anything else is wasting money that could be used towards equipment that will MAKE money, not stroke your ego. I have also had a million compliments on my truck and yet I don't have it blinged with any crap because I choose to spend my money elsewhere. I simply keep it clean. I bought it new and yes I specified the nice aluminum wheels for it and XLT trim so I would get the nice chrome grille and bumpers. Same with our '08, spec'd to look nice. That's all you need.

I'm sure TJ will make clear in his videos how much "value" customizing his trucks have brought to our family business. But I will mention what I think was one of the biggest. He recently got a call from the owner of a local fert/pest company saying that he wanted to meet with us. Tommy went out to meet with the owner and he said that he wanted to start referring all of his lawn maintenance requests to us. He had been seeing our pick-ups around with the custom wheels and grilles and loved the way they looked. He said that if we cared that much about our trucks, we must take great pride in our work. These were "his" words, not mine. TJ picked up at least 10K in work from him last season and is already bidding more from him for the upcoming spring - all because he liked the way our trucks looked!

Your case example is good but not everyone cares about what truck the company is using. Most customers care about the end result and that's how their property looks.

The 4-5 biggest maintenance companies in my county have the most plain-jane trucks you could imagine.

I'm just not convinced that it's necessary to blow money on your truck to get and retain customers.

We're spending the customers money? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard...(even on the forum -and that's saying a lot)

It's not rediculous, there are customers that have this impression whether it's correct or not.

In summary anyone can do whatever they want with their truck, I'm not saying a few modifications if necessary to keep the truck looking new are bad, but this over the top bling is a waste of money in my opinion. If it made that much of a difference in securing customers and retention, I'd see it around here more, and I don't.

TheC-Master
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
I was talking more along some good rims and grills, and whatever you like. You don't have to go crazy though. In short, it's like clothes. If you are confident in what you like and you truly enjoy it, then others tend to like it too and that confidence often radiates. It is good to do something creative and eye catching. I don't know if I'd want a truck that I *only* used for work to be too blinged out though. Especially if the trailer is open.

M & MD Lawn
02-15-2010, 11:41 AM
i would like to be kept posted, i LOVE doing things to my truck, IM 18 and work very hard and its one of the ways i reward myself and theirs a cool factor too i must admit lol

Runner
02-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't know. I have to disagree with the nay-sayers on here. I have a 34 year old Chevrolet 1 ton is like a novelty item that does nothing but bring UP conversation and attention. Everyone, including about every local lawn service around here in my area knows the truck well, and I have gained reputation for it over the years. It's funny, because I am always asked how I keep it looking like I do. People approach me on it all the time, and many of my prospects have made it a point to come out and look it over. Yes, I've got the comments of people saying things like "well, if you take that good care of your equipment, then I'm more than confident you care that much about your work." I've had customers of mine take visiting friends out and look it over, and about every fuel stop gets comments. This truck has got me ALOT of work just from bringing up conversation. From coffee shops to car shows...it has been well worth it, and is my pride and joy.:drinkup:
Sidenote: Don't mind the ugly guy in the photo...he doesn't carry much influence around here, anyway. :)

OrangeToys
02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't know. I have to disagree with the nay-sayers on here. I have a 34 year old Chevrolet 1 ton is like a novelty item that does nothing but bring UP conversation and attention. Everyone, including about every local lawn service around here in my area knows the truck well, and I have gained reputation for it over the years. It's funny, because I am always asked how I keep it looking like I do. People approach me on it all the time, and many of my prospects have made it a point to come out and look it over. Yes, I've got the comments of people saying things like "well, if you take that good care of your equipment, then I'm more than confident you care that much about your work." I've had customers of mine take visiting friends out and look it over, and about every fuel stop gets comments. This truck has got me ALOT of work just from bringing up conversation. From coffee shops to car shows...it has been well worth it, and is my pride and joy.:drinkup:
Sidenote: Don't mind the ugly guy in the photo...he doesn't carry much influence around here, anyway. :)

I love the truck first off.

Secondly everything you said about the truck being a conversation piece is a first step in getting the new customer.

All the arrogant people should start there own club/thread, I have noticed more and more. Because some people do like there trucks and treat them as toys. Im sure you all have something you spend your money on and I like spending it on my truck when I can, its my pride and joy.

Richard Martin
02-15-2010, 01:36 PM

The difference between the massive numbers of posts that you've made and everybody else's is all of yours have substance.

becpropertymaint.
02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I just wanted to say that is a very sexy looking truck you got there:cool2:

g21
02-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. Hey, they are a little pricy but the 10-lug conversion wheels would look sick on that dodge! :)

g21
02-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Runner, that rig is incredible! Now That's What I'm Talking About! If you have some more pix of it, I would like you to email them to me. I would love to post them on the ALMA site. Keep up the good work!

Runner
02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I'll be more than happy too. :)

93Chevy
02-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Very clean and simple truck. I like it.

Man, is that one beauty of a truck. I love everything about it.

Juan91
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I totaly agree a good looking truck can be a great sales tool I go with the idea of keep it nice yet professional. here is 1 of my trucks. i do a little something to them each year. the chevy will be getting new paint this year with line-x bed liner covering the tan not sure what the dodge will get this year, thinking maybe a light bar on the roof.

3500 with stacks :walking:

Bob_n_weave
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Tommy,

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. I take pride in my Rig and get nice compliments from Customers. Yes, some Customers could care less if your Truck/Equipment looks like it hasn't been washed in 2 years. But.. don't be so narrow minded to think that 1st impressions don't matter.

Runner
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Richard, those wheels look like they were MADE for that truck of yours, don't they? I like the letters!

EARTH5
02-15-2010, 10:11 PM
we also get nothing but advertisement and applaudes for having clean trucks...thats what sells our business..... oh... we dont want the people that have the false mentality that we are more expensive cuz our trucks are clean.....we take pride is the message they are missing>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rivervalleylawns
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I interested to find out what you were talking about by fixing up your truck. I had just got off a post before your about ROI. I do agree having a nice truck will set yourself aside. However I still think a 50k work truck all pimped out is nuts. I agree alot of people on here are bs and dont know sh!t what they are talking about. And dippiero is totally right, they have 1 or 2 trucks and think they are running a big biz. Whats up with alma??? What are the key ben.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Another viable reason for lcos customizing their trucks is the fact that many of us can't afford to have a nice car... and truck. For years I used my converted Dodge as working daily driver. I wouldn't have liked to drive to Florida with the family in a greasy mower hauler... So, I have kept my trucks nice.

Runner
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Excellent point....Me for instance, I have absolutely no use for a car. If I had a family or something, I could see it,...but for all practical purposes, I need vehicles that I get multiple uses out of. I guess we all need what suits our needs. Now, some have cars as toys, which is a whole different thing - and is cool. For some,...well, that second or third vehicle may just be a minivan...again, to suit their needs. Myself, i have the old truck (that doesn't get driven in winter), a 3/4 ton pickup which is basically an old tractor, and a older van that I use for my distance trips and vacations ('86 that has been stored every winter and has low miles). Eventually, I want - no,...I NEED to get a nice pickup. Something I can work, drive distances, and drive all year round - that is road worthy of long distances. I think this is the year for it. I'd like to find something around a 2000 or so ...3/4 ton pickup...extended cab would be awesome for my uses.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Runner! Check out my Dodge in the for sale section(Dodge dovetail)! It's a 1500; but is sprung in the rear one ton. I'd drive it anywhere-and do. It's a 4 door.

OrangeToys
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
are there any new videos?

g21
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, he just posted a new one under "quick tips"
Let me know what you think.