PDA

View Full Version : What do you require from a customer before aerating?

firstchoice1
01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
What do you require from a customer before aerating on their property? Anything appreciated.

-Travis

WHIPPLE5.7
01-10-2010, 11:37 AM
If they have a sprinkler system its needs marking flags. I carry them with me and we will generally walk around together and mark them if they don't have it done before I get there. I explain if they forgot any it is not my responsibilty if one gets broke. After all my areator gets wear from hitting crap like that too. Also some people have city water plates(metal) and other things that could be hazardous to your machine or their property.

M&B LAWN CARE
01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Make sure if they have invisible fences for their pets to have them mark it also, or you will cut the wire in two and have to replace it

Glenn Lawn Care
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
i have the customer mark their irrigation so i dont bust a head!

topsites
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I require that we have an agreement.

integrityman
01-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I have them sign a damage waiver AND, I won't/ don't aerate properties with irrigation systems. I ask about water main shut offs, other obstacles and invisible fencing too.

Richard Martin
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm only going down about 3 inches max. If they have irrigation I mark it. If I hit or cut anything else then it wasn't buried deep enough to begin with. I did one job this fall and apparently got the cable TV wire. I was aerating along and the next door neighbor comes out and asks me how deep I'm aerating. I told him and he then tells me that his telephone, internet and cable tv just went out all at once. I told him I'm sorry but there's nothing that I can do about that. He just went back in his house at that point. A couple of days later my homeowner came out and said I did hit his neighbor's cable but it wasn't buried nearly deep enough and it was on the wrong side of the property line. No harm, no foul.

Tholmes1
01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Integrity man. could you please post a copy of your aerating waiver? I would greatly appreciate it.

ALC-GregH
01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Integrity man. could you please post a copy of your aerating waiver? I would greatly appreciate it.

yeah, we want you to do all the work while the rest get it handed to them. :hammerhead:

FYS777
01-11-2010, 08:19 PM
ya aerating shouldn't cause any, again, cause any problems with any thing that is buried. except for sprinkler heads period... if it hits anything but sprinkler heads it's not your fault!!!!

ed2hess
01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
ya aerating shouldn't cause any, again, cause any problems with any thing that is buried. except for sprinkler heads period... if it hits anything but sprinkler heads it's not your fault!!!!

What about when you hit a valve box that is hidden under the grass. I can assure you 90% of the customers don't know where they are in the lawn since installer seldom leave a map. Easy to poke a hole in cover or worse yet drive it down cracking the pipes.

FYS777
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
What about when you hit a valve box that is hidden under the grass. I can assure you 90% of the customers don't know where they are in the lawn since installer seldom leave a map. Easy to poke a hole in cover or worse yet drive it down cracking the pipes.

around here that would be weird to find a control box under the grass that you couldn't see!!! and the way they are installed, you couldn't brake the pipes,
man you must have some bad irrigation guys down there if thats the case!!!!

Turf Dawg
01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
The northern systems might be different than our southern systems. Around here everybody comes off the double check with 1" or 1.25" PVC and runs this in a large loop around the lawn with the wires. When it is time for a zone you just put a valve in that area, so that means there will be valves in several areas of the lawn. And yes our southern turf spreads from stolons/runners so in a couple of months time the valve box lids will be covered with grass. The only time I will crack a pipe though is when the ground is soft and the weight of whatever you are using will push the box down. This seldom happens to me though.

ed2hess
01-12-2010, 10:00 PM
around here that would be weird to find a control box under the grass that you couldn't see!!! and the way they are installed, you couldn't brake the pipes,
man you must have some bad irrigation guys down there if thats the case!!!!

I am a licensed installer and I've probably made a mistake or two.

FYS777
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
I am a licensed installer and I've probably made a mistake or two.

just want to say sorry for that statement, don't know what type of landscape you have down there.
around here most are small systems, and most valve boxes are right next to the house, sometimes you find one were you don't expect when they've done an add on.:)

2stroke
01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
all lawns here are irrigated. i drop off flags, have all obsticals marked. i also have the costomers water the night before.

ant
09-19-2010, 09:31 PM
i get the client to flag out there sprinkler system. if its a senior citizen then i flag it for them..

humble1
10-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a underground systems clause in my contract.. Why should I have to eat a repair on a shallow instalation. The irrigation guy made more money because he didn't have to dig down 8" to install, call him for the repair.