PDA

View Full Version : Putting a grasshopper mower into neutral??

splishh
01-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Can someone please tell me how to put a grasshopper 700 series into neutral so I can push it into the garage??? I am blowing snow with it and one of the safety switches freezes up and I can't get the mower started until it sits into the garage and warms up. HELP!

splishh
01-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Testing this thread....still waiting for an answer.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
i wish i had an awserner for you, but unfortenely i dont. good luck

mowerbrad
01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure on the grasshopper's but there should be a screw like thing (not sure what to call it exactly) that you will loosen on the hydro pump. You will loosen it a couple turns and it will put the pump into a neutral position. There should be the screw like thing on both pumps, once you loosen each one, then the mower should be in a neutral postion.

flatlander42
01-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Start lookin in the owners manual. If you don't have one, is there an online version? With my Walker I can find it on the walker site.

Oldtimer
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Couldn't find an online manual.

Look for a lever on the side of the hydro pump. There should be a control
that moves back and forth and will lock in at least one of these
positions.

Send me a PM if you don't find it.

Oldtimer

LouisianaLawnboy
01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Its in neutral when the bars are in the middle.

To make it easy to push into the garage you need to disengage the hydro pumps.

groundskeeperllc
01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
just cut the wires on each side of the safety switch and join them together, i bypass my all my safety switches this way

qball98
01-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I think you are wanting to release the pumps so it will roll when you push it. If that is what you are wanting to do then there is a large nut on the side of the pumps to allow them to bypass. If I remember correctly on the 700 series it is on the the side of the pump opposite where the control arm is located. There is one on each pump and they both need to be released. I think it is takes a 5/8 wrench and you only need to back it out about 1 turn. Some of them have a hole through them where you can use a small screwdriver to turn it also. After you have moved it don't forget to tighten it up again before you try and drive it. When you tighten it it only needs to be snug it you tighten it to much it can cause damage. When you try and roll it make sure the brakes are off or it still will not roll even with the pumps released.

Hope that helps

LouisianaLawnboy
01-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I think you are wanting to release the pumps so it will roll when you push it. If that is what you are wanting to do then there is a large nut on the side of the pumps to allow them to bypass. If I remember correctly on the 700 series it is on the the side of the pump opposite where the control arm is located. There is one on each pump and they both need to be released. I think it is takes a 5/8 wrench and you only need to back it out about 1 turn. Some of them have a hole through them where you can use a small screwdriver to turn it also. After you have moved it don't forget to tighten it up again before you try and drive it. When you tighten it it only needs to be snug it you tighten it to much it can cause damage. When you try and roll it make sure the brakes are off or it still will not roll even with the pumps released.

Hope that helps

Excellent advice.

DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT OR YOUR HYDRO FLUID WILL SPILL OUT!

topsites
01-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Its in neutral when the bars are in the middle.

Yeah, on a Ztr anytime the control handles are in the operator's position the machine is in neutral,
simply return the operator controls to where they would be if you were operating the machine and voila.

No need to disconnect the pumps, I never have.

But it did take me two years to figure that one out LOL

ALC-GregH
01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah, on a Ztr anytime the control handles are in the operator's position the machine is in neutral,
simply return the operator controls to where they would be if you were operating the machine and voila.

No need to disconnect the pumps, I never have.

But it did take me two years to figure that one out LOL

TS, your way off. I think the OP KNOWS that neutral is when the controls are in the middle. You don't "disconnect" the pump, all he needs to do is turn the bleed screws on the pumps to allow the fluid to bypass the pumps. You make me wonder sometimes. :waving:

one-jene
01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
If your 700 series has the Eaton hydro's (one on each side) rather than the G2 that has a separate pump and wheel motor it will be easy to get the hydro to freewheel. Each hydro has a bent wire looking hook that you pull up on, and rotate it 1/4 turn, then latch it into a cut-out on the frame. They are located under the seat, close to the middle of the machine between the hydro's.

If you have a G2 style of pump, there is a bolt that you open one turn as I recall, on each pump.

brucec32
01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
If it gets icy enough you can just slide it in!

I'd just look for the bypass screws on the hydro pumps. The ones I've seen always have a hole through them for a screwdriver. Just give them a turn and the wheels should roll free.