PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Racks or Cage?

intimidator782
01-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a preference to a trimmer rack on the side of a flatbed trailer opposed to a big cage at the front. The cage could be used for a backpack blower, gas cans as well as trimmers. But the trimmer rack seems like it would take up less space. Anyone who has used both, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am looking into a 6.5'x12' Flatbed trailer. I would be fabricating either one myself.

rreyn1812
01-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I am using both. I want the trimmers available quickly from the side of the trailer, but I have a lot of other stuff (blowers, gas, discharge chutes, trimmer misc, etc) that I will put in the cage. I've just bought the Extreme Racks and will install them tomorrow (1st day it's been warm enough).

Hawg City Lawns
01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
well i have racks right now but as soon as the season picks up again ill prolly make a cage im paranoid about theft

Big C
01-11-2010, 02:07 AM
I have both as well...I use the cage for gas cans, tool box and stuff like that, I use a blower rack too because I don't want it taking up the space in my cage.

Richard Martin
01-11-2010, 04:07 AM
I like the racks. They are fast, easy and you don't have to climb over a bunch of equipment to get something. They're also a little lighter than the cages.

STIHL GUY
01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
i also have trimmer racks and a homemade box at the front of the trailer

J & D Greens
01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone has a preference to a trimmer rack on the side of a flatbed trailer opposed to a big cage at the front. The cage could be used for a backpack blower, gas cans as well as trimmers. But the trimmer rack seems like it would take up less space. Anyone who has used both, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am looking into a 6.5'x12' Flatbed trailer. I would be fabricating either one myself.

I couldn't be happier with the way my trailer turned out. I have both a front cage with a home made back pack blower rack on the side of it and two compartments one for gas cans and trimmer line, the other for sprinkler repair supplies. and trimmer racks on the other passenger side. everything is lock but easily accessible. I know it is a small trailer but for now it is just perfect.
I do have a thread with pictures of it as I fabricated the cage and blower rack.

Richard Martin
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
I do have a thread with pictures of it as I fabricated the cage and blower rack.

Yeah, you should save that thread into Internet Explorer favorites or put it into your signature line. It's a pain in the rear end to make people search through 11 pages of threads to find it. You've sent other people looking for it in other threads too.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271322

Why didn't you just cantilever your cage over the front of your trailer instead of mounting it over the bed of your trailer? Can we see pics of the cage completed? I'm a little confused as to how it works? I see the enclosed part on the bottom. What's the large open part on the top for. How about some pics of your blower rack with and without the blower mounted to it.

BTW, the wheel barrow fenders are cool and legal as long as they're securely mounted to the trailer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144751&stc=1&d=1239930844

joel29m
01-12-2010, 03:20 AM

i rather have both racks and a cage, right now i only have a trimmer rack but im getting a cage installed soon, you never know when you will need it even if you dont think you do.

J & D Greens
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, you should save that thread into Internet Explorer favorites or put it into your signature line. It's a pain in the rear end to make people search through 11 pages of threads to find it. You've sent other people looking for it in other threads too.

Why didn't you just cantilever your cage over the front of your trailer instead of mounting it over the bed of your trailer? Can we see pics of the cage completed? I'm a little confused as to how it works? I see the enclosed part on the bottom. What's the large open part on the top for. How about some pics of your blower rack with and without the blower mounted to it.

BTW, the wheel barrow fenders are cool and legal as long as they're securely mounted to the trailer.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144751&stc=1&d=1239930844

Some one else was on the same topic in their thread so I posted the link and encouraged him to look at it. He said "Thanks for high-jacking my thread" so I don't do that unless they ask. Sorry you had to search but I certainly would have responded with it when asked to.

J & D Greens
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
From start to finish is in this thread. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that I did not post it in the first place. I especially like the way the blower is mounted. I can start it right where it sits after unlocking pull it off swing it around put it back on the platform and while it is running put the straps on and walk away ready to go, After I'm finished as I walk towards the cages I take off the left strap sit it back on the platform swing it around put the tub in place and lock it back up. I can't take credit for the blower racks design I saw it in a theft thread where he said damaged my blower but didn't get away with it.

J & D Greens
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
here are some pics of the blower rack, some are side ways sorry I did not take the time to post them all right side up.

LandscapeSavannah
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I like those locks for your blowers. They standard racks are not very secure so mine were modified. But yeah the topic at hand; racks down the side, and a cage over the front. Keeps the cage well organized.

joel29m
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
looking good , cant wait till i have time to get everthing ready for spring...

JohnnyRocker
02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
here are some pics of the blower rack, some are side ways sorry I did not take the time to post them all right side up.

What is the blower hanging by? Is it locked through shoulder straps?

J & D Greens
02-21-2010, 01:47 AM
What is the blower hanging by? Is it locked through shoulder straps?

Actually if you look closely to one of the photos, the locking bar slides through the blower between where the motor and the back-pack plate that the straps go onto, it is very secure and the blower rides with-out bouncing all around. Hope this helps you. David

JohnnyRocker
02-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Oh, okay. Very cool. I guess that would work for most models. Thanks for the idea!

J & D Greens
02-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Oh, okay. Very cool. I guess that would work for most models. Thanks for the idea!

I can't take the credit for the design of this blower rack. Saw it on someone elses' blog and just thought having it higher on the cage over the spare tire was a good place for it. Turns out it makes using the blower easier. With less wear and tear on the machine and your back, since you are starting it on the shelf of the rack and then swinging it onto your back and walking away with it strapped to your shoulders, same thing but in reverse. You remove one strap rest it on the shelf and swing it back into place when you are done!!!!

chevyguy$$
02-21-2010, 11:04 PM
what size trailer is that???

J & D Greens
02-22-2010, 03:51 PM
what size trailer is that???
It is very small, the bed is 43"x82" it holds my two 21" Prolines and all my hand helds, I won't need a larger trailer until I do this full-time. Then I plan on getting a 5'x10' and set it up with a cage like this one with the back-pack blower mounted over the spare tire. you have to make the cage narrower than the trailer it self so the blower won't stick out beyond the spare. I wouldn't want to scrap off a $500.00 blower in a tight spot. I figure that will still give me a good size cage for a hand held blower, gas cans, sprinkler parts and a lot of other odds and ends. That will be a ways down the road though.