PDA

View Full Version : Question about towing capacity - F250 4.9. 6cyl

OKSooner
01-10-2010, 03:38 PM
This is the deal... I've been working with a 1993 F250 with the 4.9l 6cyl, towing a 5x10 trailer that weighs (let's say) 1500 pounds.

I'm looking at some new equipment that's eventually gonna require me to upgrade the trailer, to probably a 6'4" x 14' which will have a total weight of (let's say) 3000-3500 pounds.

For those who are familiar with the Ford 4.9l, I don't need to tell you that it's a torque machine, but it's slow. Another thing I expect to be a problem is the clutch, which I had replaced with a parts store replacement package. I've since found a heavy-duty unit that I can get if I need it, but of course that's gonna cost over $1000 installed. Also does it have the cooling capacity to pull this kind of load, and run the AC and stuff here in Oklahoma.

I'd like a new truck but I don't want to spend the money for a new truck, not just yet anyway.

Anybody have experience or opinions that might help?

doubleedge
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Well, if it really is a 250, then it should be able to tow the extra weight without damaging itself. It probably will be really slow with that engine, though.

poolboy
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
This is the deal... I've been working with a 1993 F250 with the 4.9l 6cyl, towing a 5x10 trailer that weighs (let's say) 1500 pounds.

I'm looking at some new equipment that's eventually gonna require me to upgrade the trailer, to probably a 6'4" x 14' which will have a total weight of (let's say) 3000-3500 pounds.

For those who are familiar with the Ford 4.9l, I don't need to tell you that it's a torque machine, but it's slow. Another thing I expect to be a problem is the clutch, which I had replaced with a parts store replacement package. I've since found a heavy-duty unit that I can get if I need it, but of course that's gonna cost over $1000 installed. Also does it have the cooling capacity to pull this kind of load, and run the AC and stuff here in Oklahoma.

I'd like a new truck but I don't want to spend the money for a new truck, not just yet anyway.

Anybody have experience or opinions that might help?

I love that motor. :rolleyes: