PDA

View Full Version : Mowing w/button shirts

lawntennis
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Thining of changing our uniforms from t-shirts to button down the front short sleeve shirts. Anyone ever mow in them?

meicher806
01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I have not but I have thought about it, gives more of a professional look IMO. I just ordered a polo style with our logo on it, if i like it I am planning on ordering 20 more. The only thing i worry about with the full button down is the guys unbuttoning them on the job, with the polo they wont be able to do this, thus keeping a more professional immage.

SNAPPER MAN
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I bought some long sleeve button down shirts for my foreman. He prefers them to the regular t-shirts. They cost a lot more though if you have a name patch and company name put on em. In my opinion they are good for foreman but for just laborers use long sleeve t-shirts. Thats my opinion.

Valk
01-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I do - with a performance cloth/material t-shirt underneath. The 2 keep me cooler than either one worn individually. The only issue I have is when a piece of equipment in close proximity briefly catches the flap from the tailoring as it comes across my torso. ie WB handle-end

eastportstar
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
i wear the button down dickies from wal-mart with the dickies pants (no shorts). keeps my "church" clothes from becoming "work" clothes. my helper wears a t shirt (i'm too cheap to dress him)

lawntennis
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I saw some shortsleeve button shirts for arond 9.50 before any logo work. That is more expensive but not ridiculous.

JayD
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I have not but I have thought about it, gives more of a professional look IMO. I just ordered a polo style with our logo on it, if i like it I am planning on ordering 20 more. The only thing i worry about with the full button down is the guys unbuttoning them on the job, with the polo they wont be able to do this, thus keeping a more professional immage.

So who did you order one shirt from, I did not know that any one would let you buy just one to see how it looks...

grassman177
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
yes, we only use them as part of our full uniforms. in fact, they are cooler and longer lasting than a t shirt etc. i would say go for it dude, get your name embroidered and a company logo like we do an d you are off to looking and feeling better. we also dont wear jeans, they like the worst thing to wear while sweating your ass off. we use dickie like pants from the same company. they are redkap brand clothing in case you wondered

Kustom Kutz
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I wear button down long sleve uniform shirts year arond with blue jeans ans my customers love it. It was july in this picture. I roll my sleeves down for older customers

Cummins343
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I've never worn button up shirts for mowing. I just wear a regular T-shirt when i mow.

Michdeere
01-10-2010, 09:18 PM
My uniforms come from automotiveworkwear.com. Redkaps, great selection, decent prices, and you can order one or one hundred.

Marvelous Gardens
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Ever since i started this business we have wore short sleeve cotton shirts when its warm, and long sleeve cotton when its cool. Of course the shirts have logo and business info on them. Recently i starting using cintas uniform company, i never would have thought that it would be so cheap. Although my employees have 5 short sleeve shirts and three long sleeve they never seem to be able to keep their clothes washed and there was always excuses. So after talking it over with them i went with cintas, where the employee had their choice of short of long sleeve. We went with the button up, and some dickie type pants. I take 10 a week out of their check to cover the cost, and i pay for my uniform which is a white shirt with emroidered logo an name, where as theirs has the patch with logo and patch with name.

Great service im happy my guys are happy! Cant wait to see how it affects our business, we got compliments the first day.
It depends on what you get but we pay $8-$10 per week per employee.

lawntennis
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
With cintas can you have your company name on the shirt?

Marvelous Gardens
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes my employees have their name patch on right side and our logo is screen printed on the patch thats on the left side. My shirts have my name stitched above the pocket on the left and our logo stitched on the right. The reason for patches as employees come and go there is no charge as the names can simply be removed.

RickR1818
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
That is a beautiful blue you have there Kustom Kutz. How old is he/she and is it as stubborn as mine was?

MikeKle
01-11-2010, 12:59 AM
The bigger companies around here have their employees wearing long pants, and long sleeve button up shirts!!! Even when its in the upper 90s! Way too warm for me! But they never seem to be sweating or whining about it?

greendoctor
01-11-2010, 01:39 AM
I wear button down long sleve uniform shirts year arond with blue jeans ans my customers love it. It was july in this picture. I roll my sleeves down for older customers

My sleeves stay down during business hours. An all cotton, button up shirt is one of the coolest shirts that you can wear. It is breathable, does not trap heat and blocks the sun. On the other hand, I cannot stand t shirts, long or short sleeve if I am out in the sun. They feel like I am wearing a sweater, especially if it is a dark colored long sleeve t. I buy nice button up shirts from either Land's End or LL Bean. Customers notice. Their last lawn guys showed up in t shirts that should have been relegated to mopping up spilled oil.

Richard Martin
01-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Their last lawn guys showed up in t shirts that should have been relegated to mopping up spilled oil.

I have a friend that runs his company that way. I saw them about 6 weeks ago as they were coming in from a leaf cleanup job. They looked rough. ALL OF THEM.

I wear Dickies tan full length pants with tan long sleeve button down shirts. I just started wearing them last year and they are more comfortable in the heat. They also look good and my customers have noticed and complimented me on them. I don't remember the exact situation but I had to cut grass one day last year wearing just shorts. I felt completely out of place and the sun was just baking my skin.

Kustom Kutz
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM
That is a beautiful blue you have there Kustom Kutz. How old is he/she and is it as stubborn as mine was?That my friends is Barker. He is a 84# American Staffordrshire terrier. He is about 3 years old and he is a perfect angel. Very obedient and great with my kids. You get what you pay for in dogs and believe me.... I payed! BIG! He is my sidekick. I leave the truck running in the summer for him when he goes to work with me. A boy and his dog!!

lawnboy dan
01-11-2010, 08:56 AM
i have been telling you guys that this is the way to go for a long time. cooler in hot climate and projects a more pro immage

Richard Martin
01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
That my friends is Barker. He is a 84# American Staffordrshire terrier. He is about 3 years old and he is a perfect angel.

That's a good looking dog you have there. I was accidentally bitten by my border collie a couple of years ago. Border Collies don't have near the mouth strength of dogs like yours. I wouldn't want to get bit by your dog. I still wear a scar from the single bite I got.

BTW, is that Bahia I see sticking up in your yard there? For shame!

ALC-GregH
01-11-2010, 10:57 AM
That my friends is Barker. He is a 84# American Staffordrshire terrier. He is about 3 years old and he is a perfect angel. Very obedient and great with my kids. You get what you pay for in dogs and believe me.... I payed! BIG! He is my sidekick. I leave the truck running in the summer for him when he goes to work with me. A boy and his dog!!

Hey, I see a short sleeve in that pic! :D

JayD
01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
That my friends is Barker. He is a 84# American Staffordrshire terrier. He is about 3 years old and he is a perfect angel. Very obedient and great with my kids. You get what you pay for in dogs and believe me.... I payed! BIG! He is my sidekick. I leave the truck running in the summer for him when he goes to work with me. A boy and his dog!!

There is nothing like mans best friend........I have a wonderful boxer who greets me at the door every time I come home, and it just warms my hart to see him so glad to see me. When I come home tired or in a bad mood, he changes it every time....

MikeKle
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I will stick with my Under Armour t-shirts and regular cargo type shorts, Once you try Under Armour, you will never wear anything else in the heat!

millenium_123
01-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I usually wear t shirts or cut off shirts and shorts! I can't handle the heat in jeans.