PDA

View Full Version : Looking to partner up with someone

Josh F
01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
My namle is Joshua Freeman, I have a small but growing landscaping and lawn care business. I'm looking for someone in the seminole or orange county Florida area. I would like to partner up with a company that has the same drive that i do. Ive been trying to grow my business for a while now and i cant seem to do it on my own so i figure two heads are better than one. I have some pretty steady accounts and i make pretty desent money but at the same time I dont make enough to put a substatial amount back so i can invest in new and better equipment, advertisment and so forth. So if anyone who might be interested please email me at hyperlyte3241@yahoo.com
Thanks

mowerbrad
01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know your whole situation but I would not yet turn to partnering up with someone. Alot of times partnerships don't end well. I would take a little more time and do a little more advertising and trying to build your business a little more. Also, when creating a partnership, you may want to consider doing it with someone you know, not really someone you just met. I'm not saying start a partnership with your best friend (that never usually ends well), but at least with someone you know a little bit.

Riley24
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
DON'T PARTNER UP! just keep at it and eventually you'll get the money to buy bigger and better equipment. you'll be better off 5 years down the road

soloscaperman
01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Riley is right!! Trust me I have been there and lost Friends because at the end they want everything.

johnnybravo8802
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Getting a partner will be the worst thing you'll ever do in the length of your business!!!!:nono::nono: In fact, it will probably be the first step in you going out of business(I've had others tell me the same thing for years because it always seemed like a great idea). It rarely happens that two people bring the same cards to the table. Then you have the problem of one working a lot harder than the other-Good luck finding someone with your exact same personality(This is the biggee!!!!!). I'm still looking to clone myself with 10 more just like me that actually give a crap and will work until the job is finished.:dizzy:So far, I've been unsuccessful. Then you have the legal end of things, no compete clause if it doesn't work, etc, etc. Last, but not least, you have to split the money right down the middle regardless of how much effort the partner is putting into the business. I just lost my best friend over the summer because he needed a job, got injured twice in 5 months, cost my insurance about $50,000, and now I can't hire him back. We have hardly spoken since the last accident. That's my reward for giving a man a job down on his luck!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

KrayzKajun
01-10-2010, 08:33 PM
DON'T PARTNER UP! just keep at it and eventually you'll get the money to buy bigger and better equipment. you'll be better off 5 years down the road

bingo!!!!!!!!!!

ALC-GregH
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
What you need is a employee to do the dirty work so you can concentrate on marketing your business.

Bob_n_weave
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Don't do it ! I could make a list of reasons.

thomaslawn
01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Finding a partner will not fix the problem. Build your business up by increasing your advertising and providing quality work. When you get to the point where you need additional help hire part-time and learn the basics of becoming an employer. This will be the key to your success, providing proper management to your employees and your accounts.

During the course of my professional career, both in this business and others I have found that partnerships usually do not work. The only time I have seen them work is when a business owner offers a partnership to an employee who brings a large amount of experience and skills to the operation. Partnering with someone because you think it will ease your work load or bring greater success will not work. It will most likely have the opposite effect.

Valk
01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
If you and your partner bring the same # of lawns to the table...you'll essentially be making the same $$ as before...AND you'll be making twice the # of stops. Sounds co-dependent to me.

dhardin53
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Think of it this way. If every customer you have or have ever had LOVED YOU and YOUR work so much that they would help get you more work you would not need a partner.

Now this is difficult to do but not imposable over time. The hard part is to never give your service away but make the Customer feel he got a greatest deal for what he paid. I got a question for you, did you send out Christmas cards to your customer base?

MikeKle
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Having partners in the lawn care industry is NEVER a good idea, as Ive seen people loose everything trying this! Usually one person ends up doing all the work, and the other person ends up getting off scott free! I will never do it unless it is all worked out in advance by a lawyer.

Grass Shark
01-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Don't partner up!!!! Even if its your best friend!!!!