PDA

View Full Version : red hawk mowers

exclusive contracting
01-10-2010, 08:33 PM
does anybody have any input on these red hawk mowers i was looking to purchase one any info. would be appreciated thanks

QualityLawnCare4u
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
From what I have read about them they are made in China mowers and the consensus is to stay away from them. Use the search feature on here and read the comments on here about them. I would highly recommend to buy a name brand mower, you get what you pay for in this line of work. Good luck.
Are you going to be using this on just your yard or on several?

exclusive contracting
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
on resd.and commercial

1993lx172
01-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I've looked at them online and if I had no other option I'd go with one until I could get something better. I'd even buy a walk behind with a bad engine and then do an engine swap before I would consider a red hawk. You can find a good used walkbehind from a reliable manufacturer the cost of one of those, plus it will last you longer.

MJB
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I'd be more inclined to buy a Bad Boy 21" FOR $399 IF YOUR JUST LOOKING TO BAG. I'm thinking about one because of the price, never tried one.

petara
01-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I have looked at the Red Hawk mower as well. A forum member had commented a few months ago that they are ok to use as a backup mower.

I am going to get the 36" with the 15 HP Kohler and a sulky wheel. This will be a big jump from using only a 21" mower this past season. eBay had them listed for $1,899 free shipping. I figure since I am still building my business I can use the Red Hawk for now and when the business grows I can upgrade to something better.

xclusive
01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
does anybody have any input on these red hawk mowers i was looking to purchase one any info. would be appreciated thanks

If you are interested I have a 48" belt driven scag I might be selling. Let me know if you want to look at it.

exclusive contracting
01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
im just starting off and have a couple of huge comm. accounts and i have to buy all new equipment and trailer thats why i was thinking of buying the redhawks as my wb.i think the guy jeff in ct. is selling them i have been talking to him he is super nice and takes the time to talk to you he is also blowing out bobcats as well so thats why im willing to travel the 60 miles to him

exclusive contracting
01-11-2010, 12:00 AM
what are you looking to get for it what kind of motor is on it how does it cut/run/look

xclusive
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Its runs great and cuts great. The deck has no welds on it so you know it was not beaten on. It has a 14hp kawasaki fc420v engine and start 1 - 3 pulls everytime depending on how cold it is. I am looking to sell for $1200 or Best Offer. I am negotiable.

What is the name and number to the place Jeff works at cause I might be interested in picking up a 36" Bobcat?

exclusive contracting
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
go on meritrentals.com tell jeff anthony from exclusive contracting in nj told you to call him

xclusive
01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
I see he is a rental store. Is he selling used rental equipment or brand new equipment?

exclusive contracting
01-11-2010, 10:25 AM
go to meritrentals.com tell jeff anthony from exclusive contracting in nj told you

exclusive contracting
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
brand new what do you think about his prices im going to stop by jersey power in clifton to see if he can meet or beat his pricing

Yater
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Hmmmm....two guys from northern NJ join in the same month, and both are named "exclusive"....and they're both bumping a redhawk thread and dropping the name of a local dealer. What are the chances?!!

exclusive contracting
01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
2 states away is hardly local to me pal

xclusive
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Hmmmm....two guys from northern NJ join in the same month, and both are named "exclusive"....and they're both bumping a redhawk thread and dropping the name of a local dealer. What are the chances?!!

Actually we joined different months and we are not bumping the thread. He was looking for something to purchase so I responded. No biggie!! Mind your own business thank you very much!!!

B&M
01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
From what I have read about them they are made in China mowers and the consensus is to stay away from them. Use the search feature on here and read the comments on here about them. I would highly recommend to buy a name brand mower, you get what you pay for in this line of work. Good luck.
Are you going to be using this on just your yard or on several?

I wish people with no personal experience using a machine would not comment on equipment they have not used. We HAVE a 36in Redhawk belt drive walk behind with a 15hp kohler . This machine has been our MAIN walk behind for over 4 YEARS and is still running strong. They are quality equipment as far as I am concerned, the machine also lays a very nice cut and will strip in the right grass. IF you have any questions please feel free to ask.

exclusive contracting
01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
do you think there would be any real difference in the 36 oppose to the 48 thanks because this guy is selling brand new 48 for $2000 and 36 for $1900 and how much do you use the red hawk and commercial property thanks again

xclusive
01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
do you think there would be any real difference in the 36 oppose to the 48 thanks because this guy is selling brand new 48 for $2000 and 36 for $1900 and how much do you use the red hawk and commercial property thanks again

If you are only using it on commercial property then 48' would be your best bet. Unless you have to get in area that has an opening smaller than 48" which I would then recommend get a 36"

B&M
01-12-2010, 12:04 AM

We use the 36in for gated properties mainly. If your properties are open (few or no gates) go with the 48in and a sulky. If It will be the main machine you use daily, you may want to look at the hydro model.

exclusive contracting
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
what is the benifit of hydro over belt

B&M
01-12-2010, 12:26 AM
A hydro machine will operate better on hills and in the rain (belts can and will slip and stretch when wet). Hydro machines pull sulkies better as well. Also a belt drive machine is harder on the operators hands wrist and arms.

GrassesGuy
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I have some smaller walk behind red hawk mowers and they work just fine. I think the whole Chinese stigma is getting into everyone's head. I use mine to get through small gates on residential and smaller commercials. The components are the same as name brand mowers like Scagg. Don't believe all the hype out their, some people just like to ***** and probably never used one of these mowers. I got mine for $999 delivered to my loading dock last year and the only problem I had was cord breaking at the end of the season. Just a thought!:walking:

Richard Martin
02-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I think the whole Chinese stigma is getting into everyone's head.

And rightfully it should. Read this and you might start to understand why we cannot continue on the path that we've been on for the last 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Zedong

GrassesGuy
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey I agree about China being a threat to America, but what do you do when crooked politicians on both sides of the aisle fail to listen to the public. I got a college degree and couldn't get a job, so I did what I had done since I was 11 and never looked back. Don't regret for a second about getting into lawn and landscaping. I'm bank rolling while my college buddies are sitting around playing video games and can't find work. Hell a few them have come up to help me with my company and some of my real estate. I had to buy theses mowers because I had no money and it was the wisest decision I ever made. These babies paid for themselves over and over and over and over again. I'm not gonna sit around and cry and boycott China because you can't. 90% of the **** everyone buys is made in China. It is what it is, and unfortunately it will be a long time for things change, so you gotta go with the flow and try and turn a profit without breaking the bank. The Redhawks are not bad mowers at all, if you take care of your equipment and do proper maintenance and I mean not just change the oil, your stuff will last a long time. Never had any problems with the ones I have except the string and recoil busting at the end of the season. Everyone starts out with nothing and these mowers are great for people with limited amounts of money and for people who know how to fix their own mowers. The **** ain't rocket science. Sick of all the haters who don't no **** and don't own these mowers.

grassman177
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
you guys who like the redhawks and buy them are nothing but china supporters and dealing the death to the american made machines in which they copied and sold to you for less. the low cost should not be the only thing you guys look at.

i can look at that thing and tellyou it would fall apart in less than one season of actual commercial use, it is junk, total junk. shame on you for buying them

GrassesGuy
02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Keep on rambling your made in America speech buddy because I guarantee you got plenty of China man made stuff. I would love to see you walk into a store and buy just American. Ain't gonna happen, can't do it, and it is sad but that's the way it is. Instead of bitching maybe some off you people should get off your asses and start a new political party and storm the capital!

GrassesGuy
02-16-2010, 11:21 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Total Grounds Maintenance
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Keep on rambling your made in America speech buddy because I guarantee you got plenty of China man made stuff. I would love to see you walk into a store and by just American. Ain't gonna happen, can't do it, and it is sad but that's the way it is. Instead of bitching maybe some off you people should get off your asses and start a new political party and storm the capital!

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!! Finally someone said it! We need to get mad, we need to get angry.

We all have junk made in China that is the problem! They have forced us into a "we have no choice" situation. Do you like it that way? Do you like seeing the demise of our country? Do you want to see your kids or their kids living at sub standard levels because we had no choice? Do you like democracy? Do you like freedom? Well every purchase you make that says made in China subliminally and secretly mocks the men and women of this country that died in the name of freedom and democracy. They are communist and we have been fighting them since this country's inception. So now do you feel nice and comfy knowing that you can made an extra $1 off every lawn you cut this year because you saved some money on some American destroying POS communist supporting garbage?

grassman177
02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
GrassesGUy, if you have not followed my thread about this, i am sort of going to go political, it is all in steps my friend. no need to tell me, i know.

believe me, i know i have plenty of chinese made stuff, no way around it . this is a semi recent position of mine that i intend to fight for. kind of like an epiphony!

GrassesGuy
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Inflation, High Interest Rates, High Gas, Terrorist Attacks, Falling dollar is all coming soon. Remember the Jimmy Carter Era, well it's just around the corner times 2. Will see which lawn company is left after this crash ends. Folks sorry to say but the economy will take another nose dive in the coming months, look at the numbers. By lots of gas, cheap mowers, learn to fix them, and pray you still have a lawn to mow. Hopefully you don't have any financing on your equipment because if you do well :confused:.

grassman177
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
nope, paid for all the equipment, but personal finances are the greatest.

Manscape
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm sitting here waiting for my redhawk to be dropped off. 36 inch hydro with bagger and 2 wheeled sulky...All together cost me $2,500. Small engine warehouse. Seems too good to be true, and I guess we'll find out. I have 3 properties with bigggggg back yards and smallllll gate openings so I couldnt justify spending huge dollars on a machine just for those few lawns. As far as Chinese support...I bought my mower from smallenginewarehouse.com which is in located in Indiana...as far as I see it, the damage had already been done before I bought the mower. (Chinese were already paid for their product)....I know that there are strong feelings about this topic, but let me add that earlier this year I purched a brand new Scag Wildcat W/ collection system...over 12K....So 2,500 to the Chinese and 12K to us, don't go so hard on me.

As far as quality...we make bad decisions in purchases all the time, not only in the landscaping biz. The only way you're gonna find what's good, and what you like is if you try it. Personally IDK if this thing is gonna be a piece of **** or not, but I feel that the only people who can rate an item are people who own it, or have had first hand experience with it. (use and maintenance)

bamamike
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
The dollar hasnít fallen enough to create a problem yet. However it still is a worry with all the spending. Do you guys know the value of the dollar and stocks have been working in opposite the last year? A major reason the market is up 40% is because the dollar has fallen. Sad thing is that people who have money invested or a retirement ira/401k has gained value last year (but still is down) but the value of your dollar isnt worth as much as it was. Things wont get better until market and dollar are fairly level again.

Itís our debt to GDP ratio that is hurting us and countries like UK and Greece

Attached is a 2year, 2day chart (each candlestick =ís 2 days) comparing the dollar/can dollar (candlestick) to the DOW (blue line). Notice how flat is was until the beginning of 2009. Then when the DOW dropped, the dollar rose.

grassman177
02-17-2010, 12:16 PM
there is much truth to your comments on making a call on something you have never used or even seen, but alot can be told from apic after you have seen many others like them. i get your idea of a cheap mower in your situation, but why not a BOP? better prices and american design thru and thru.?

i have seen both of those and can say i like the BOP better, and have mowed with one.

Richard Martin
02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
As far as Chinese support...I bought my mower from smallenginewarehouse.com which is in located in Indiana...as far as I see it, the damage had already been done before I bought the mower. (Chinese were already paid for their product)....

It doesn't matter whether you bought the mower from China or the you bought it from a company that got it from China. You are the end user. You have also helped increase demand for more Chinese products. YOU ARE JUST AS GUILTY OF HELPING TO DRIVE THE AMERICAN MOWER INDUSTRY INTO THE GROUND AS SMALLENGINEWAREHOUSE IS. I hope it's one of your relatives that gets laid off when the time comes.

bamamike
02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Let's face the fact. Any and everything we do day to day has something Chinese involved. From truck parts, household items, shows, shirts, drywall (ask those unfortunate guys from flordia). Do I like it, NO! But can something be done about it today? NO! Simple fact is, things can be done to limit it but nothing can be done to stop it.

Things can be done but will be a big, tough fight in washington and will take time. I honestly dont believe our current administration will not want to take that on.

I like the idea of raising the import taxes from the "harsh labor" countries to make our products a little more competitive. BUT, that will hurt alot of Americans who barely get by.

I think main focus now should be actively becoming energy independent and quit talking about it. It doent involve china but its a huge start.

Just my thoughts...

Richard Martin
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Do I like it, NO! But can something be done about it today? NO! Simple fact is, things can be done to limit it but nothing can be done to stop it.

Things can be done but will be a big, tough fight in washington and will take time.

It has nothing to do with Washington and we can do this without Washington. If we simply stop buying Chinese products they will stop sending them here. It's as simple as that.

02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
I just went down to my basement and looked over the contents of a tool box that was given to me by my wife's grandfather before he passed. It has screws, tools, fasteners and all sorts of stuff in there as he did widows as a side biz to help support his family. Almost all the stuff in there was made in USA. Right down to the bolts in the packages. Most was mdes right here on the East coast, NY NJ and PA. I googled and most if not all or no longer around. He had his biz in the 70's.

I went to my tool box and everything said MADE IN CHINA!

He retired from the post office after getting lucky enough to get the job after his factory job making dolls was sent over sees.

Everyone who cares and has a conscience should try their hardest to avoid Chinese made junk.

Let me ask the nay sayers this and be very honest with your replies

DO YOU THINK THE CHINESE GOVERMENT WOULD ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN IN THERE COUNTRY! MOST CERTAINLY NOT!

GrassesGuy
02-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Richard Martin you obviously don't get it, THEY MAKE 90% OF THE GOODS ON STORE SHELVES. If you wanna quit buying go ahead. Sell your truck your house and everything you own. Then you can live in a cave naked and pick berries and shoot deer with your American made gun. Good God.

jeffslawnservice
02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't own one of these mowers but did look at buying one and did some research on them. From what I have learned that are made in China and are harder to get parts for due to lack or dealers. (At least around me there isnt a Redhawk dealer in 100 miles.) I have also heared that they do not compare to larger brands like Scag and Exmark at all. People have said that they are not maid with quality parts and things break quiet often. My dealer told me that they are more of a homeowner walk behind that a commercial walk behind. Thats just what I heared and found out.

02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Richard Martin you obviously don't get it, THEY MAKE 90% OF THE GOODS ON STORE SHELVES. If you wanna quit buying go ahead. Sell your truck your house and everything you own. Then you can live in a cave naked and pick berries and shoot deer with your American made gun. Good God.

So thats thats it? No one said anything about living in a cave or selling anything. Just be more concience when buying. Look at it this way why not take a good hard look at the 10% that is made here? Why not try to make it 50% made here?

I asked the question about whether or not you think the Chinese government would allow this to happen over there? They would most definitly not. So why should we. They exploited the one thing that they could worm thier way into. They used democracy to worm their way into out economy and learned how to control us.

Richard Martin
02-17-2010, 08:05 PM

I've never said not to buy Chinese. :nono: I realize that in way too many situations you have no choice. But when you clearly have a choice, like with these commie "mowers", then do not buy them. Buy American owned, American produced first. Buy American owned, foreign produced second. But foreign owned, American produced third. Last on the list is foreign owned, foreign produced.

grassman177
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I've never said not to buy Chinese. :nono: I realize that in way too many situations you have no choice. But when you clearly have a choice, like with these commie "mowers", then do not buy them. Buy American owned, American produced first. Buy American owned, foreign produced second. But foreign owned, American produced third. Last on the list is foreign owned, foreign produced.

and this is exactly what we all should do if we want to reverse many things that are plaguing today.

jmullins6987
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
hello everyone, This is jeff from merit in ct. I have been a red hawk dealer now going on 5 years now. These machines are just as good as any other standard walkkbehinds on the market without all the fancy bells and whistles. I have the municplaties and landscapers using these mower without any problems. They have are the core compents as other brands ( kohler engine, peerless transmission, 7 gauge deck.) They make for a good primary or backup mower anyday. And you sure cant beat the price!

GrassesGuy
02-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Thank you Jeff. We finally have a man here that knows everything about these mowers. Now that these clowns have heard from a dealer maybe they will talk a different tune, but my guess is they won't. I do have a question for you Mr. Jeff. I had a recoil blow out on me at the end of the season, literally the last lawn of the season. I need a BS Recoil 808152 and was wondering if you had that part and can beat 49 dollars.

Thanks,

Ryan

grassman177
02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
hello everyone, This is jeff from merit in ct. I have been a red hawk dealer now going on 5 years now. These machines are just as good as any other standard walkkbehinds on the market without all the fancy bells and whistles. I have the municplaties and landscapers using these mower without any problems. They have are the core compents as other brands ( kohler engine, peerless transmission, 7 gauge deck.) They make for a good primary or backup mower anyday. And you sure cant beat the price!

thank you for helping ruin our country:usflag:

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Thank you Jeff. We finally have a man here that knows everything about these mowers. Now that these clowns have heard from a dealer maybe they will talk a different tune, but my guess is they won't.

Nope. I already knew everything he said. Except for the bolt on stuff all of the steel in this mower is Chinese. I probably know more about the history of these mowers than this dealer does going all the way back to the Black Rock/Buyers Gold days.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Hello Ryan, I checked and the briggs recoil the dealer over there gave you a price on is a good deal it lists for $65.50. Thanks for checking with me though.

hey grassman77, its simple if you dont like the product dont buy it! There are plently componets that go on the mower that support u.s. manufacturing. Guys want to save money and redhawk give them the option to buy a good mower at a great price. The U.S. dealer get the repair work so whats the problem. Or maybe everyone should buy a overpriced scag and support them that way!

And richardmartin, I have been a dealer of power equipment for over 30 years! If you think you know more about mowers than me stop on down and fill out a application! lol

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
And richardmartin, I have been a dealer of power equipment for over 30 years! If you think you know more about mowers than me stop on down and fill out a application! lol

I didn't say I knew more about mowers smart guy. But I probably do know more about the history of the Red Hawk than you do. Don't bother filling out an app because we don't hire know it alls.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Usally guys that talk about something dont know anything at all!

dishboy
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Usally guys that talk about something dont know anything at all!

Usually dealers who talk shi% are selling shi%. Selling shi% benefits the dealer.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I sell good products at a good price and my customers are always happy i guess guys like you just like to pay to much for there mowers.

Richard Martin
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
This is the history of Red Hawk the best I have been able to find out.

Stan Byers, formerly of Bunton, started Byers Gold mowers somewhere in the mid 90's. They used off the shelf components with Chinese steel.

In 1996 Byers Gold secured a contract to sell 2400 mowers to Sam's Club. Due to the shaky nature of the company they had to secure a questionable loan to build the mowers. This was probably what ultimately doomed the company. http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/1997/03/24/smallb1.html

Byers Gold was sold to Black Rock of Louisville, KY. They tried selling them over the Internet (http://www.blackrockmfg.com) and through independent dealers but met with little success.

At some point along this time period they added a ZTR to the lineup.

Landscaper Supply of NJ bought the rights. They tried selling them also and sold some mowers under rebadged names.

In 2004 Landscaper Supply had the entire mower operation up for sale on Ebay. I remember seeing the listing. It was all of the completed mowers, any parts they had left over and the rights to the mowers. The price was $50,000.

It was at about that time that we started to see the proliferation of many names appearing on this same Chinese mower. I don't know what happened to the rights but someone has them and they're going crazy with it.

dishboy
02-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I sell good products at a good price and my customers are always happy i guess guys like you just like to pay to much for there mowers.

Do a search for Bobbygedd and redhawk and then come back and give us your pitch.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
You do know your history with redhawk not many people do.

grassman177
02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
either way, why dont you stop supporting the chinese as a dealer and do YOUR part in helping our country. we will do ours, no worries there. and remember, we are not saying we wont buy chinese, b ut are saying if there is a choice, america comes first. this is not just a blind patriotic act either, china is known for stealing american innovation and purposely(wiht gov subsudies) selling it back to us cheap to gain the market of stupid buyers. that is the huge issue at hand we are trying to reverse here.

GrassesGuy
02-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for checking Jeff. The part could be aftermarket made in CHINA OH NO! Keep spreading the truth buddy. Maybe some day and just maybe people will start to understand, but probably not. I think it's a lack of education. Oh what a low blow. Well kiss my a** haters.

GrassesGuy
02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Fill out an application LMAO thats good s**t.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
no problem grassesguy if you need anything else or have any questions give me a shout.