PDA

View Full Version : aeration

GabesLawnCare
01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
whats the deal with lawn aeration. I done it before on my own lawn, but I don't understand what it's supposed to do and what times of year it should be done. Also how much do you charge for this service

grassman177
01-11-2010, 12:28 AM
no offense, but have you ever even tried to look it up before joining a professional lco forum. really!!!! i am sorry, but that just dont seem right.

anyways, it is good to do in spring and fall, summer is usually bad due to drought or warm temps will dry out the open ground faster and do more harm then good.

it helps the ground physically breathe better which in turn makes for better roots due to easier water and air movement in the soil. cant go wrong with it. make sure to get as deep as you can in very moist soil, but not saturated in avoidable due to causing more damage to the turf than needed.

also a great time to fert, topdress and overseed with this to invigorate a lawn

Glenn Lawn Care
01-11-2010, 01:08 AM
no offense, but have you ever even tried to look it up before joining a professional lco forum. really!!!! i am sorry, but that just dont seem right.

anyways, it is good to do in spring and fall, summer is usually bad due to drought or warm temps will dry out the open ground faster and do more harm then good.

it helps the ground physically breathe better which in turn makes for better roots due to easier water and air movement in the soil. cant go wrong with it. make sure to get as deep as you can in very moist soil, but not saturated in avoidable due to causing more damage to the turf than needed.

couldnt of said it better myself!! i charge double the mowing price. and if i dont cut the yard, i figure out the mowing price and double it. i think its easier that way.

grassman177
01-11-2010, 05:34 AM
we get a decent more than that and still come in cheaper than almost all in our area. i think if you dont have high mowing prices, then raise your aeration

Green Feet Lawn
01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
grassman summed it up. Only thing I would add is it also helps alleviate compaction.

dishboy
01-11-2010, 10:42 AM

So now we have aeration police, it's the guys first post for heavens sake, how about if you don't want to deal with it him ignore him . BTW study's have shown that aeration can actually increase soil compaction. What do you think happens at the sides and bottom of those tines?

Smallaxe
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
So now we have aeration police, it's the guys first post for heavens sake, how about if you don't want to deal with it him ignore him . BTW study's have shown that aeration can actually increase soil compaction. What do you think happens at the sides and bottom of those tines?

That is true of spike aerators, but I believe pluggers do alleviate compaction. Right now our soils are getting the best compaction relief available. :)

OrganicsMaine
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM

I haven't used one yet, but the aeravator seems to really break up the soil....anyone else have experience with this machine?

Smallaxe
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I tried to find an aeravater as a rental last year but couldn't find one. It looks like they only make tractor models so wouldn't fit well in many of my properties.
I did like the way it worked the soil in the video though.

OrangeToys
01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
how do you get your customers to let you aerate the yard?

OrganicsMaine
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Small Axe....they do make a smaller walk behind machine....check out their website.

As far as "getting" my customers to allow me to aerate their lawns...I have already educated them on proper turf care and they understand that if they want a healthy green lawn, aeration is an important part of the process.

xclusive
01-11-2010, 04:28 PM
As far as "getting" my customers to allow me to aerate their lawns...I have already educated them on proper turf care and they understand that if they want a healthy green lawn, aeration is an important part of the process.

I definitely agree with this. I offer the service on my customers contracts as well as on their invoices as a reminder if they didnt sign up for it altready. Once a customer knows the benefits of it they are likely to want it done and you can make a ton of money in it. I bought an aerator last season and it already paid for itself and some

OrangeToys
01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I have the issue of people are so tight with money even before the economy went bad.

superintendent
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Cool season grass you do in the spring and fall and warm season grass you do in the summer

xclusive
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I have the issue of people are so tight with money even before the economy went bad.

I have found that if you can explain to them how it benefits their lawn they will be more receptive. I have some elderly customers that are on strict budgets but they always have me thatch, aerate, and overseed their lawns every year.

OrangeToys
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I have found that if you can explain to them how it benefits their lawn they will be more receptive. I have some elderly customers that are on strict budgets but they always have me thatch, aerate, and overseed their lawns every year.

Where did you find your info that answered all the custormers question about it?

xclusive
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Where did you find your info that answered all the custormers question about it?

From research and competive shopping like having lawn doctor/chemlawn come price my lawn for all their services

grassman177
01-11-2010, 10:14 PM
you should not habve to thatch and seed a lawn every year. that usually means poor maint if you have a actual issue with thatch. you do more damage than good if you do it for no real reason. but aeration every year is a good practice for the best lawn.

FYS777
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
whats the deal with lawn aeration. I done it before on my own lawn, but I don't understand what it's supposed to do and what times of year it should be done. Also how much do you charge for this service

here check this link:
http://www.american-lawns.com/lawns/aeration.html

for what to charge, depends on what YOU need to charge!!!!!!!

Manscape
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
New to the site, don't bash me! I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

2nd year landscaping on my own
Growing quickly
Just purchased 42" Wildcat/Velocity Deck/ 26 Liquid Cooled/Collection System

I am being sold on the JRCO front mount Aerator and Dethatcher...

First, what do you think about these? Cheaper alternative obviously to two separate machines.

Second, when you aerate, (plugs) do you leave the plugs laying on the lawn?
Or would you bag them (cut the lawn) then seed?

OrangeToys
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
New to the site, don't bash me! I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

2nd year landscaping on my own
Growing quickly
Just purchased 42" Wildcat/Velocity Deck/ 26 Liquid Cooled/Collection System

I am being sold on the JRCO front mount Aerator and Dethatcher...

First, what do you think about these? Cheaper alternative obviously to two separate machines.

The only bashing im gonna do is Scag doesn't make a 42" :nono:its a 48", i guess that was more of a correction. But I have seen the JRCO attachments work and they do a great job. I would have them, well atleast the aerater but im not spending 2k on it:cry: especially when i can rent a machine for a day for a few hundred if I had to.

Smallaxe
01-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Aeration is best done with a smaller, more versatile and manueverable machine. Tractors and trees don't mix. Niether do plugs and tires - what a mess.

santafe
01-14-2010, 11:15 AM

from what i have read, your are not supposed to do it every year. i think most of my reading is like every third year.

side note: have you guys noticed alot of people posting with their guard up? i think this should be telling the moderators something.

Smallaxe
01-15-2010, 10:01 AM
from what i have read, your are not supposed to do it every year. i think most of my reading is like every third year.

side note: have you guys noticed alot of people posting with their guard up? i think this should be telling the moderators something.

The only guard I put up - is to make sure, that I don't just go off the deep end, in my ramblings. Sometimes, making the effort - helps. :)

Otherwise, you can't put a 'one size fits all' criteria on aeration. You do it when it is necessary. That is why it is good to understand - What aeration accomplishes.

HISnHERS
01-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Leave the plugs on the ground. They actually help break down the thatch layer and are and important component of the aeration process. Check out the link to american-lawns that FYS777 posted earlier - good info.

Also, this might sound like a simple no-brainer, but don't forget to sweep or blow any plugs that get onto the sidewalk or driveway back onto the lawn. You would be surprised at the number of LCO's that leave plugs strewn all over the walkways.

We do a bit of work in a golf course community that has some pretty pricey homes and a lot of chatty residents - in several instances we've been told that we got the aeration job because we left the walkways clean at the neighbors house. That simple deed in turn has opened doors for additional work.

Good luck to you.

grassman177
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
i agree, we blow off the plugs and seed and fert. well, anything that makes a mess on concrete from us