PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion for battery

OrangeToys
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I have to buy a new battery this week for my 2500HD silverado, im hoping to have a plow next year and thats all that i would have pulling extra juice.

What battery do you recommend?

KrayzKajun
01-10-2010, 10:31 PM
optima yellow or red top!

OrangeToys
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Aren't those expensive batteries?

KrayzKajun
01-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Aren't those expensive batteries?

yea they are a lil pricey but well worth the money

i have twin red tops in my f250!

OrangeToys
01-10-2010, 11:10 PM
can you explain how they are worth the money? I mean its almost double the price of a regular one.

Why do you have dual?

KrayzKajun
01-10-2010, 11:14 PM
can you explain how they are worth the money? I mean its almost double the price of a regular one.

Why do you have dual?

diesels have two batterys!

ive been usin optimas for years. had a yellow top in my old truck with tons of lkights on it for the fire dept. had three car audio 1000watt amps running three 15" subs and the voltage never dropped below 14volts!

OrangeToys
01-10-2010, 11:18 PM
how long do those red tops last?

360ci
01-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Optima is the brand to go with. Red top is for greater cranking, where the yellow top is more for deep cycle applications (low speed, high power requirements such as stereos). Red top will be fine for plowing. Both are of spiral cell design so there's no liquid in the battery; the cells absorb it creating a longer lasting and truly maintenance free battery. For everyday driving in say a car to get to work and back, its not really worth while spending the $40-80 extra on the battery. For work vehicles that are consistently turned on and off, require medium to high electrical loads to power equipment (hydraulic plow for instance; salter if electric), and also offer excellent vibration resistance, which is the leading cause of battery failure to begin with. I've owned two Optimas in the past, two reds (same truck) and one yellow (other truck). All were 750CCA rated and lasted nearly 10 years. My average life span with regular batteries has varied between 3-7 years depending on use. Keep in mind that standard batteries are mostly produced by the same few manufacturers, irregardless of what the battery is branded as.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Go with the gel cells if you are dealing with the cold and viberation. Optima batteries don't use water/acid.

Regular batteries are made by couple companies the only difference is the same and some extra lead in the batteries.

Johnson Controls makes most automotive batteries then they are labeled with different manufactures names.

A regular battery your lucky to get 4 years out of if your nice to it ie no abuse like jumpstarting and letting it run down.

Starting batteries will not last if your cycling them by putting a large draw on them dropping the voltage and amperage down and then recharging them.

Lawn Man Dave
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I also like the Optima's.

Word to the wise though, they are great batteries but DON'T let them go dead...... they don't like it and often never fully recover..... I have heard there is a way to charge them if you do to fix it but hear it is hit and miss..... this is why you don't want to buy one used. Yes it is hard on any battery but I hear it is worse on them.

You also don't have to worry about them leaking or corroding..... this helps out the battery tray.

For something that you just drive around I would just get a regular battery but for a good work truck that has a good sized electrical load on it go with an Optima or another gell type battery.

Like said above they also handle extreme temp's better.

OptimaJim
01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi guys, Iím glad to hear so many of you are pleased with your Optimas. I saw some confusion about our batteries, which I hope I can help clarify. Our batteries are AGM (absorbed glass mat) lead-acid batteries and will stand up to all kinds of abuse, including deep-discharges, much better than a comparable flooded battery.

Our Spiralcell design offers superior performance in cold weather, because the internal resistance of the design is very low, giving Optimas the ability to quickly withdraw high power on discharge and subsequently, to quickly return the power on charge. This low internal resistance also allows our batteries to operate at a much lower voltage than flooded batteries.

However, many standard battery chargers will not recharge any battery discharged below 10.5 volts and most flooded batteries discharged below 10.5 volts are unrecoverable. The upside for owners of AGM-style batteries, like Optimas, is that although the low internal resistance in our batteries allows them to be deeply-discharged below 10.5 volts, they are able to recover from such deep discharging with a standard charger through parallel charging. This video provides instructions on charging deeply-discharged Optima batteries- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

If you are using a lot of aftermarket accessories, such as plows or winches, a deep-cycle battery (for example, an Optima YellowTop) is a better option than a starting battery (RedTop), regardless of brand. If you have any other battery questions, Iíll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Lawn Man Dave
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi guys, Iím glad to hear so many of you are pleased with your Optimas. I saw some confusion about our batteries, which I hope I can help clarify. Our batteries are AGM (absorbed glass mat) lead-acid batteries and will stand up to all kinds of abuse, including deep-discharges, much better than a comparable flooded battery.

Our Spiralcell design offers superior performance in cold weather, because the internal resistance of the design is very low, giving Optimas the ability to quickly withdraw high power on discharge and subsequently, to quickly return the power on charge. This low internal resistance also allows our batteries to operate at a much lower voltage than flooded batteries.

However, many standard battery chargers will not recharge any battery discharged below 10.5 volts and most flooded batteries discharged below 10.5 volts are unrecoverable. The upside for owners of AGM-style batteries, like Optimas, is that although the low internal resistance in our batteries allows them to be deeply-discharged below 10.5 volts, they are able to recover from such deep discharging with a standard charger through parallel charging. This video provides instructions on charging deeply-discharged Optima batteries- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

If you are using a lot of aftermarket accessories, such as plows or winches, a deep-cycle battery (for example, an Optima YellowTop) is a better option than a starting battery (RedTop), regardless of brand. If you have any other battery questions, Iíll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Thank's for clearing all that up. Maybe what I was hearing was on batteries that are dead as a door knob? As in ones that sit for years or something?

Regardless I had a red top in a previous car and loved it. Sold the car a few week's later and wish I would have kept that battery. I then got a Camaro with a built Big block in it on nitrous and all the good stuff (around 800-900HP) and it only had like 10.5-1 compression but with the regular battery that was in it if you did not get it started pretty quick you had problem's.

I sold the car pretty quick but a Red Top would have been really nice.