PDA

View Full Version : motor graders

westcoh
01-11-2010, 01:52 AM
So I'm thinking about purchasing a used grader sometime in 2010. Maximum I'd want to spend would be $50k, so it's obviously gonna have some hours on it. Seems around here 90% of the graders are Cat, a few Volvos and the smaller owner-operator type companies run Champion.

Are older 90's era Deere graders any good? I rarely see them around here, but have seen them go dirt cheap at auctions compared to Cat. Would a large Deere ag dealership work on a grader? I know there's a few Deere dealers close by, but all I ever see on there lots are ag equipment and skid-steers.

Right now I'm leaning towards Champion as they seem relatively affordable and I know there's several dealers near-by that will work on them.

Just looking for any thoughts/input from anyone with experience with graders. . .

westcoh
01-11-2010, 02:07 AM
As a side note I should also mention I'm not interested in the tow-behind boat trailer grader either.

Scag48
01-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Can't go wrong with a Cat blade, period. Deere isn't as popular but they're a decent bang for you buck, same goes for Champion. Don't get sucked into buying a Komatsu blade. Outfit I'm with has one and it'll probably be the last, I think we have one of the few, if not only, Komatsu blades in the region and there's a good reason for that. Parts are more expensive than Cat and aren't readily available. $50K right now will buy you a pretty nice blade if you don't mind running something older. I'd go after an older 14G that's been taken care of, don't be afraid of higher hours if the maintenance records show consistent PM work.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 02:17 AM
If you are going to get a Champion grader make sure its Cummins powered you don't want one that has 6/71 Detroit power. The old 740 is a common size.

There is a reason why the 14G Cat series grader popular for one it has the weight to it. Second it has better drive system and runs air brakes no dealing with hydraulic brakes.

The highways dept had a John Deere grader and had a Cat 14G the Cat did a better job everytime. The reason being was the Cat has the weight the tires have good traction and keeps pushing.

The old 740 Champions were good old machines lots of them around but just too old and slow for anything that needs production. The old chain boxes can be a problem and expensive.

So if your looking for a grader get a 14 series Cat machine.

Mowingman
01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
In older graders, if it is not Cat, or J.D. it is junk. I would never buy a Champion. They were built super cheap, and their target market was countys and cities, where low bid always wins. Shoot for an older Cat 12G. Lots of those out there that were low hour county or city machines. Don't overlook older J.d. Graders either. We used a few of them, and while not as good as the Cats, they did a pretty good job.

DeereMan85
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Would a large Deere ag dealership work on a grader? I know there's a few Deere dealers close by, but all I ever see on there lots are ag equipment and skid-steers.

I can't speak for your individual dealer, but we're an ag dealer and work on construction equipment from time to time. You just have to keep in mind that the technicians aren't as familiar with the yellow stuff, and we have to buy parts through a construction dealer. This means you shouldn't expect to have a lot of parts (other than belts, filters, and the like) on hand, and the techs won't know the ins and outs of your machine like they would a tractor. But if you don't mind service and parts taking slightly longer, it can work fine. If you're serious about a Deere, stop by the local ag dealers and talk to their parts and service guys. You'll be able to get a pretty good idea of how they'll treat you based on their initial reaction to your questions.

93turbo
01-11-2010, 11:14 AM
you might wanna check with your dealers about parts availability the township I work part time for just had to put $16k in the transmission of our deere and they had to do a nationwide search to find enough good used parts to put it back together as they didn't make a lot of the parts anymore

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
One of the guys I went to school with his dad is a grader operator has ran them all and his favorite machine is the Cat 14G. After operating different brands of graders over the 30 years you know what works the best.

The one thing he said about the Cat is it doesn't slow down you can be grading along and hit a big rock and the machine doesn't stop. Try the same with a Champion or John Deere it stops dead the tires spin.

westcoh
01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Appreciate all the replies so far. Sounds like it's fairly unanimous that Cat makes the best grader, I just can't get over the price of them compared to another brand. I'll definitely have to check with the Deere dealerships as well, as the last thing I want is a machine that noone locally will work on or have parts for.

westcoh
01-11-2010, 08:45 PM
you might wanna check with your dealers about parts availability the township I work part time for just had to put $16k in the transmission of our deere and they had to do a nationwide search to find enough good used parts to put it back together as they didn't make a lot of the parts anymore

What year/model was the deere that they had such a hard time finding parts?

DeereMan85
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Must have been pretty old - we can still get parts for ag and lawn & garden stuff dating quite a ways back.

Stick Pro
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I would go with cat. We run our 140G on a daily basis, one strong machine, parts are no prob to get when it breaks down, withch rarely does. I would love to get in the seat of a new M series grader nice looking machine.

93turbo
01-11-2010, 10:01 PM

I'll try and find out in the morning after I get done salting

alco
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Where exactly in Alberta are you?

westcoh
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Just outside of Edmonton.

93turbo
01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Must have been pretty old - we can still get parts for ag and lawn & garden stuff dating quite a ways back.

Couldn't find the year so I snapped a pic but its just a crappy cell phone pic I had a camera with me but I forgot the memory card:hammerhead: Its a 772 A

alco
01-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Just outside of Edmonton.

How far just outside of Edmonton? Brandt Tractor is the Deere dealer, and if you are just outside the city, it should be just as easy dealing with them as with an ag dealer who isn't familiar with the construction products. Brandt is pretty good to deal with in my experience, and they could certainly get you the parts you'd need.

Now, that being said, I would stick with Cat myself. A nice 140G might be just what you are looking for. Is there a certain size of machine you will need? A 14 is a nice machine, but if you don't need that big of a machine, a 140 would likely do just fine for you.

hvy 1ton
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
What are you going to be using the grader for? For most stuff a 14 is overkill and a cat 140 or deere 870 would be a better fit. Depending on what your doing you might also want 6 wheel drive 143 or 872. Little info would help point you in the right direction.

westcoh
01-14-2010, 01:26 AM
How far just outside of Edmonton? Brandt Tractor is the Deere dealer, and if you are just outside the city, it should be just as easy dealing with them as with an ag dealer who isn't familiar with the construction products. Brandt is pretty good to deal with in my experience, and they could certainly get you the parts you'd need.

That's good to know about Brandt Tractor. Have you ever dealt with Finning in Edmonton before?

westcoh
01-14-2010, 01:37 AM
What are you going to be using the grader for? For most stuff a 14 is overkill and a cat 140 or deere 870 would be a better fit. Depending on what your doing you might also want 6 wheel drive 143 or 872. Little info would help point you in the right direction.

I think a 140 would be a good size for me. The main use for it will be snow plowing.

hvy 1ton
01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
A 140 or 870 will work out great for snowplowing. The township my ranch is in uses 2 872s and the extra traction does help, but they're pushing v-plows on the front lift group. That said, they're the government and have money to burn. If do start looking at 6wd graders i think deere has the best system, especially the older deeres compared to older cats.

westcoh
04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Alright, bringing this thread back. I've been looking at a lot of graders recently, and while I'd really like a cat g series, the price these things bring is unreal. So, what do you think is a better buy, an older higher hour cat g series, or a slightly newer(90's era) john deere/champion with lower hours?

Whatever I end up with I plan on going through it front to back and reconditioning whatever needs attention. I don't expect it'll get a ton of hours every year, but I plan on running it forever basically and need something reliable.

hvy 1ton
04-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I was a little off earlier a 870 is closer to 160/14 than a 140. If you wanna look at deere, $50K should fetch a 770CH or really nice 770B. If you want an AWD i saw several 772B's for under $50K and one kinda rough looking 772CH on machinery trader. I have no knowledge of the B series, reliability, parts availability ect, but i do know that my townships really liked there CH's and D's. Champion was bought by Volvo CE sometime ago so any Volvo dealer should be able to do parts/service. Champion now makes compact graders. One of which specs against the retired Deere 570 and can be had in AWD, but i digress.