PDA

View Full Version : I see some good $ from frost damage

South Florida Lawns
01-11-2010, 03:31 AM
I drove around today and a lot of my accounts showed significant signs of frost damage. A lot of plants (Croton Mammy/schefflera) look like a total loss. Hopefully we can make some decent money this spring replacing plants.

KrayzKajun
01-11-2010, 04:11 AM
i was thinking the same thing! i have one customer who called today about replacing 15 orange trees tht dont look like there gunna make it!

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
It's still to early to tell the damage but that could be the one upside here. Many of these plants will simply need cut back in a month or so but others are just done

KrayzKajun
01-11-2010, 06:42 PM
the crotons and hibiscus in my yard are done! o well new design for spring

Jason Rose
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Very sad... I'm sure it's pretty brown and ugly down there right now huh?

albhb3
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
but but but I thought global warming wouldnt let it get that cold ROFLMAO

punt66
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
global warming is supposed to change ocean currents and put us into an ice age. Well here we are.

South Florida Lawns
01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah it actually is pretty bad. Last year I replaced over 10k worth of palms that just can't take these temps.

Most of the christmas palms and royal palms that grow well in florida can't take a hard frost without proper precautions. It seems most of my customers let their palms go unprotected and as a result die.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
This could be an up sell service. We'll take care of the frost blankets for xxx.xx

South Florida Lawns
01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
This could be an up sell service. We'll take care of the frost blankets for xxx.xx

Thats a good idea provide a forst blanket (not just bed sheets) and install and remove for a fee.

Although it would suck if you lost a 60ft Royal. I had a neighbor lose one 2 yrs ago even with frost blankets and all, turned brown and died.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
It'seven worse when it rains before. You get end bud rot in the crowns. I aint lost to much myself. Only 2 25ft fox tails, 2 5ft tripple robi's, and a 10ft weeping hibiscus tree. Thats the last 2 years. I've still got about 10,000 xmass lights going to try and keep the temps up. Seems to be helping. But I do look like a redneck with my lights on

Florida Gardener
01-12-2010, 01:13 AM
I installed 2 Spindle's at one customer's house this past May and both have a little bit of cold damage. I haven't seen all of my accounts yet though. Queen's and all your other commonplace palms down here look fine. Then again, I'm in a different climactic zone than you other guys.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-12-2010, 07:33 AM
In 89 we lost the queens almost all over. The end bud rot can kill with out even knowing it's been bit. Every thing will be green then just the center of the crown turns brown

seascapes
01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I have one customer that we started providing frost blankets for. He lives in NJ and has a house here in Daytona. We did the install three years ago now maintain everything for him. I tried to tell him last year that he spent more on having us go there twice a day everyday day that it was going to freeze. We have been making great money on this freeze so far. Even with the frost protection we have still lost some plants. Its actually kind of sad to see all of these things dying. A lot of time, money, and sweat went into these plantings. I hoping I don't lose my Koi in the Koi pond. We have also been getting a lot of calls on sprinkler issues where the freeze got to them. Been getting calls on pool plumbing repair also. Great for business I suppose. The copper pipe even burst that goes to my outside shower. Isn't that a B**ch!!

Florida Gardener
01-13-2010, 11:09 PM
My boss at my night job said we will be getting another cold snap like the one we just had in about 2 weeks and it will be like this all winter.....going to be replacing A LOT of plants this spring. Really unfortunate. At one of my customer's houses 2/3 of his Coconuts had half the canopy of cold damaged fronds. Going to take all growing season to get them looking good again. One already had a lot of K and Mg def. to begin with.......

One customer who I did a install this past April had half of the Firestorm Dwarf Copperleaf fried by the cold. They were looking awesome a few weeks ago. Her Ixora looks like crap now too. Not as bad as the Copperleaf though.