PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Options on a Ram

Lawn Enforcer
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey everyone, I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, with the 4.7 V8, and it currently has stock exhaust. I am looking to step up to something with a more throaty sound, something with a nice rumble to it, but nothing really loud. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I'm going to a Midas close to me, a lot of guys I know have gone there and had nothing but good luck.

verant
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I have my ford straight piped back from the cat. then a Y for dual exhaust angled out the back. Sounds good, not too much or too little sound. I had it done for $250.00

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Get some true duals made up from a muffler shop. The bolt on stuff is expensive BS. Also depending on your state, ditch the cats all together and run from the headers back, that's where you get a nice low rumble tone to your truck, Also depending on the brand and series muffler you can achieve different levels of tone and loudness.

pitrack
01-16-2010, 01:14 AM
I had an 05 Ram Hemi. Want to talk about a cheap route but still have good sound, I took the stock muffler off, and threw on a Flowmaster muffler (Can't remember what model number) and then added a "turn down" pipe right after the muffler. Sounded awesome and cost next to nothing after you buy the muffler. Only downside is there is no visible tip, which is what I wanted on my truck but your preferences may be different. Also be careful "straight piping" your truck, it may be illegal where you live and it gets rather loud when towing heavy loads (Don't know if you tow a lot with that truck).

JFGauvreau
01-16-2010, 09:52 AM
You could try also after market flowmaster exhaust. check on youtube to see if you like the sound.

rcslawncare
01-16-2010, 04:16 PM
A flow master will living things up, just route it with the stock piping. I had it in a 5.3, and it almost was too quiet.

Lawn Enforcer
01-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Get some true duals made up from a muffler shop. The bolt on stuff is expensive BS. Also depending on your state, ditch the cats all together and run from the headers back, that's where you get a nice low rumble tone to your truck, Also depending on the brand and series muffler you can achieve different levels of tone and loudness.

I need to have the cats on there, huge fines if caught without them.

I was thinking of just going to Midas and having a Flowmaster put on, I'll see what model they recommend. I've heard some Flowmasters that sound like crap, so I want to do it right.

MikeKle
01-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I have flowmaster on my Hemi Ram, and it has a nice rumble to it, but I would like it alot louder! It is a cat back dual exhaust system though, so you are only going to get so much rumble out of those anyway. I probably could go get dual headers, dual cats, and run "true" dual exhausts and get a better sound, but headers are pretty high priced for the hemis. I still have no idea on how those guys that run those trucks that you can hear from half a mile away, and we have all heard these kinds of trucks before, they are the loudest things Ive ever heard and surprised they are even legal, I think they are running a radical cam, along with headers,and probably no cats at all, with straight pipes I guess, but it may be more than that to get the rumble they do? If anyone knows, please let me know.

rcslawncare
01-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Magnaflow makes a nice muffler. They are more expensive than a flowmaster, but if I recall, mine was a 40 series non deltaflow.

STIHL GUY
01-16-2010, 11:24 PM
last night my friend and i straight piped his 95 F150. It sounds great but is a little loud. Hes going to end up putting a thrush muffler on it

Hawg City Lawns
01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
dont waste your money right off the bat, go get it straight piped ran the way you want if you want duals angled out the back or straight out the back or even dumped or hell even out the side before the rear tire do it the way you want... ride with that for a while if its to loud add the muffler you dont want to go buy the whole package deal (mufflers tips and everything) at first and then realize "well this muffler is to quiet" you wasted about $90 per muffler (flowmaster 40's) if thats the case, trust me on this ive done it myself

MikeKle
01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Ive ran straight pipes on an older Ram without any mufflers, and to be honest it didnt sound that great like I thought it would, but sometimes a flowmaster or other muffler make a truck sound louder and better than straight pipes alone.

South Florida Lawns
01-22-2010, 09:11 PM
straight pipes sound like ass

Hawg City Lawns
01-23-2010, 01:01 AM

dont knock em til you try em

pitrack
01-23-2010, 02:32 AM

Straight pipes only sound good on diesels, on gassers they're jusy annoying. Sometimes they're even annoying on diesels!

MikeKle
01-23-2010, 11:17 AM
The best way to get good loud sound is to get headers and run true dual exhaust.