PDA

View Full Version : No deal on the 550 4x4

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I didn't feel right about the deal so I decided to back out time to keep searching. You get those gut feelings that don't go away didn't feel right about it.

The truck has been on the dealers lot for atleast 6 months to a year the truck has a deck that has a used flatdeck put on the truck the U bolts are not even rusty. The 4R100 transmission still bothers me ya you can have it built but it is still a 3spd overdrive transmission. That 3-4 grand could be used for something else.

Some good info I found out that my truck to put my mind to ease and it is a 6spd is a bad combination with a 6.0 I'am not the only one with the powering out problems. The 6.0 needs the torqshift to build some boost to get the truck rolling. A standard transmission doesn't provide that. It is why I have problems when I put a load on my truck and its very tough to get moving. It is also a part of the traction problems.

One of my biggest fears with my F-450 is getting down into a jobsite and power out. Getting stuck is one thing but when the truck powers out you can't move the tires can't even spin. Only takes 2000lbs on the truck grossing 12,000lbs the truck powers out in low gear. Put the truck into Low let the clutch out slowly and try give some throttle it stalls.

So I'am on plan B I do need to get rid of my current truck with the powering out problem is something that is not even tollerable to deal with. The current state of my truck I can't even use it to its maximum potential.

Will start to look for a 05-07 F-450 or 550 2wd with 6.0 automatic. The powering out problem is cured if I find a 6.0 with automatic yes I may have traction problems but there is a solution for that. The cheapest option is a set of tire chains to give the tires more bite.

It might be time to find a cheap skid steer so if the job is in a tough spot the machine can carry the load to the truck or carry the load from the truck to the house.

Homeowner wants 3 yards of gravel and their place as a driveway that is unreasonably steep the only way the material is getting down the driveway is one scoop at a time. They are not going to get a tandem axle down the driveway nor are they going to get a single axle down.

It is at the point with some of these places a load of gravel would slide off my truck backing down the driveway. Even if my truck had a mason dump on it with taller sides the load would shift backwards and right over the tailgate.

The homeowner buys a place that is fit for a mountain goat they can pay extra to have materials delivered or work done.

I'am not paying 10 grand extra for a 4x4 just to save the customer money.

Ozz
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I think a 350 would do what you need.. I have a 350 P/U with a 7.3 and a 4100 in it and I have no issue powering out... If I i did, i wouldn't have the truck. I think a used NH 665 (i know most people hate old NH SSLs but, for a cheap skid, i wouldnt expect much...) or BC 743/753 would work quite well for you.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Not enough brakes on a F-350 I want to beable to carry 6000lbs I would even want to beable to carry a skid steer on the truck. I could take the skid steer to the job on the back of the truck drop it off and go get the material.

A trailer would work but I couldn't tow a trailer with a skid steer and carry a load of gravel too much weight for the hills.

One of the landscaping companies have a F-550 that they carry a T-190 sized skid steer on the back.

Trailers are a pain in the azz especially the car trailers you ground out with them making turns off of side streets or making turns to climb up a hill. Also no place to put the trailer when your on the job its always in the way of other people the live in the area.

As for machine size one of the contractors has a 743 I think that is the size he can move it around behind his half ton that would be a good size for me.

DeereMan85
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Good luck getting up and down the steepest hills in the universe with a 743. I thought even an excavator had trouble around there?

Shrekish
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I must of missed the post where your mommy gave you permission to buy a truck. And the saga continues

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Good luck getting up and down the steepest hills in the universe with a 743. I thought even an excavator had trouble around there?

All I have to do is go straight down and back up. A wheeled skid should beable to accomplish that. Doubtfull I would beable to go bucket first up the hill with a empty bucket.

Most of the steepest places are paved or concrete roads after the house is finished.

Junior M
01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
seems like your whole theory has changed...

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I'am not going to damage my truck getting in and out of these places. Use a machine to bring material in or out.

Is it better dealing with blown hubs and transfercase problems or leave the truck in a easy spot and use a machine to carry the material/debris out.

Ozz
01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Not enough brakes on a F-350 I want to beable to carry 6000lbs I would even want to beable to carry a skid steer on the truck. I could take the skid steer to the job on the back of the truck drop it off and go get the material.

A trailer would work but I couldn't tow a trailer with a skid steer and carry a load of gravel too much weight for the hills.

One of the landscaping companies have a F-550 that they carry a T-190 sized skid steer on the back.

Trailers are a pain in the azz especially the car trailers you ground out with them making turns off of side streets or making turns to climb up a hill. Also no place to put the trailer when your on the job its always in the way of other people the live in the area.

As for machine size one of the contractors has a 743 I think that is the size he can move it around behind his half ton that would be a good size for me.

I've got 6k worht of wood in my 350. It had no issue. But, it wasn't in the Steeepass range, British Columbia,Canada. it was in the flatlands of the US.
And didn't you say the 450 had the fron brakes of a 350? you weren't complianing about the brakes on it. AND, I have a pic to prove I had 6K on my truck. Just ask.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I have been there done that with regular 1 tons not a chance I'am taking anymore if you ever have a accident your done.

The RCMP (police) have portable scales in the trunk of their squad cars so if they suspect your over weight you will get stopped.

curtisfarmer
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
GR, it is just as steep on my street is it as yours for sure, and my f450 6.4 pulls 12K no problem up the steep hills.

NO Problem....6.4.:weightlifter::usflag:

Junior M
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
GR, of all skidsteers to buy, dont buy a shortwheel base skid like the 743/753. they were good machines, but you spent alot of time on your face.. If you want an older reliable machine like the 743/753 look for a long wheelbase like the 773 or 7753..

DeereMan85
01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
GR, of all skidsteers to buy, dont buy a shortwheel base skid like the 743/753. they were good machines, but you spent alot of time on your face.. If you want an older reliable machine like the 743/753 look for a long wheelbase like the 773 or 7753..

Exactly what I was getting at.

tnmtn
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
he has said before that no one even rents mini skids in his area. also mentioned other guys with standard skids. seems to me to go the route no one else can and easiest to tow. also if the machine falls off a cliff and drops a couple miles he can jump off and let it go. my vote is for a mini skid. also cheaper to get into a reliable unit.
good luck,

Scag48
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
The way I see things, sounds like a truck is being bought for equipment and jobs that don't exist. Run what you brung until the need to upgrade presents itself. Rent iron, get through a year or so of that with the truck you have now, then upgrade the truck to something that is right. You want the perfect setup right out of the gate with no money or work demand to do it. Lots of people get by with equipment that is either sub par or incorrectly suited for what they're doing. Even the big boys encounter that, I am sometimes given the wrong machine to do a certain task for the simple fact that we can't always have the right machine for what we need to do and we're running a fleet of 300+ pieces of equipment. You just gotta nut up and handle the fact that things aren't going to be perfect, your equipment may cause you some irritation from time to time but that's life. Things aren't pefect. In a perfect world, I wouldn't move dirt, I would've figured out a way to make millions by doing nothing. Fact of the matter is that things don't work that way, you gotta suck it up, actually put in some damn effort to do what it takes to get yourself going, and run with it. No more BS'ing about how you can't do this or that because your truck is wrong, BS. You have a 450, you can move a decent sized skid steer with that on a trailer no problem. No more whining, no more speculation, just line up the work and go f#cking do it.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I'am not using the machine to excavate with it would be more of a wheelbarrow for me. With a grapple bucket I could grab the wood debris or old fridges, washing machines etc. Lots of stuff that I have to lift by hand can be done with a machine sure save my back. I have had to stuggle with lifting heavy stuff that has buggered my back.

I want a machine you can sit down on.

crab
01-11-2010, 11:09 PM
i have 6.7 shovel i will sell you for 12$,no money down no credit check.money back guarantee ,if you don't like it i will hit you in the head with it till you do!

Gravel Rat
01-12-2010, 12:09 AM
I'am looking at trucks like Ron's F-450 something in the 2006-2007 range with a 6.0 automatic. If I have a tough place to go I will just tell the homeowner you pay for the tow truck if I get stuck.

I want to get a truck going for spring time thats when people usually start to get working in their yards. I missed the boat last year because I didn't get my dump deck going soon enough. Start early this year get people thinking about my services.

I need a truck with automatic after finding out it will make a world of difference with a 6.0. If I have a bad place I will put a set of snow chains on the drive tires that will give me enough traction. Aslong as the tires don't sink too bad the snow chains will give the tires the extra traction.

tmf lawn care
01-12-2010, 01:23 AM
not in mud gr i should know. I got my old truck stuck up to the hub. when i had chains on the tires :usflag:

DeereMan85
01-12-2010, 07:32 AM
If I have a tough place to go I will just tell the homeowner you pay for the tow truck if I get stuck.

Sounds like a great business strategy. I see no reason why 2010 won't be your best year ever. :rolleyes:

mrusk
01-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Gravel Rat- If you can't get work with your current truck, you ain't going to be able to get work with a new truck.

USE WHAT YOU HAVE.

I sure as hell ain't looking forward to the threads in a few months called "I got no work for my new f550. Its the goverments fault"

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
instead of getting the new truck, you should focus more on getting the skid/mini skid to expand your scope. and like you said, you wont run into problems of getting the truck stuck or running out of power, so your current f450 will do the job.

with a mini skid you can do so much more, auger work, tilling, power raking, trenching etc... just market yourself like that and im sure you'll be able to pull in alot more work. and the good thing is that most of those attachments are rented so you can do that if you dont have the need for a dedicated auger or trencher.

AWJ Services
01-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I see a trend for GR's posts this year.

They will all sound like this......

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

crab
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
blah!blah,bleet/blah

Gravel Rat
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
As I said I have the powering out problem with my current truck really limits what I do with it. If I put a load on the truck and get into some places the truck powers out. Even if I'am traveling on the regular public roads if I stop on a hill the truck doesn't have low enough gears to get moving again.

You have to watch if your in traffic if you see it backing up and you have to stop on a hill I'am done.

So anyway I look at it the truck has to go I can see why the original owner probably got rid of the truck. I have driven standards all my life from 4 spds to 18 spds so you know when the engine is on the verge of stalling.

The no power problem has had me worried quite a few times alot of place you have to take a run at the hill. Keep the rpms and speed up and don't stop till your to the top of the driveway. Backing down a driveway with a load you have one shot at it I can't pull forward it powers out.

I can get half way up a driveway and it powers out so you have to back down and get a faster run at it.

Have a F-450 and you can only carry 2000lbs because the lack of power time to get rid of the truck. Have had a 88 F-Superduty with 460 gas 5spd truck grossing close to 18,000lbs with a load of gravel in it. No way my current 450 could do that. My old 7.3 IDI non turbo would easly gross 17,000lbs and climb any hill. That truck had 5:13 axle gearing and 5spd.

My old F-Superduty with a 7.3 PSD 5spd 4:30 axle gears grossing 16,000lbs would power out in first gear.

I was told a 6.0 and automatic would do better than my 6.0 and 6spd.

It probably would if you can keep un-interupted power to the wheels and it would keep the detroit true trac from backing off. As I have said I been places where the tires have spun 1/4 of a mile climbing up some of these off road place. If I run tire chains it will keep the trucks back end from sliding sideways and keep pushing forward.

As for the work I plan on going after is light demolition, storm clean up, brush clearing and tree removal. Then get more landscape materials delivery. If I put a winch on my flatdeck I can go back into scrap car removal. People have old vehicals in their yard that they want to get rid off. Try get the lumber hauling work I had going again. If the no burning bylaw gets enforced there will be brush hauling to do.

It is the landcaping material delivery I want to try to get more of it is easy 60 dollars for 40 minutes worth of work.

Lots of small jobs I can do as this isn't a full time job. I have chainsaws and all the hand tools I need to do the jobs I want to do.

After reading a USA economists opinion on the USA's economy today it doesn't look good for you guys down south.

MOREDIRT
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Just put lower gears in it that might hurt your gas mileage but if the hills are as steep as you say you don't need top end speed. The best truck is a paid for truck.

tnmtn
01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
good idea on regearing the truck. also have you had it is to check the engine. i pull much heavier in some pretty steep stuff as well and powering out has never been a concern. maybe fuel filters,pump, injector, something just doesn't seem right. i loose traction going real steep before i power out. maybe check a programmer for it also. they make a big diffrence.

ksss
01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
good idea on regearing the truck. also have you had it is to check the engine. i pull much heavier in some pretty steep stuff as well and powering out has never been a concern. maybe fuel filters,pump, injector, something just doesn't seem right. i loose traction going real steep before i power out. maybe check a programmer for it also. they make a big diffrence.

The easier cheaper way is to put a programmer on it. You could put a mild tune in it, more power, better economy.

DirtMerchant
01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
i see a trend for gr's posts this year.

They will all sound like this......

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
i'm hard done by and everyone else has it easy but me. But i know more then them. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

fyp........

Gravel Rat
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
The easier cheaper way is to put a programmer on it. You could put a mild tune in it, more power, better economy.

I'am scared to even try increase the power anymore than it has I do own a 03 and it is supposed to be the worst year for the 6.0.

Been very lucky that I haven't had EGR or headgasket problems had the turbo replaced the truck has all current flashes. Don't want to spoil the good luck. A head gasket job is 2500 dollars when your out of warranty at the Ford dealer. One of the seafood haulers had to have the head gaskets done on his 03 F-450 it cost him 2500 dollars.

With the 6spd manual it would be nice to have a extra low low so a 6 LL. All you need is one deep reduction gear.

The 4:30 axle gears work good for the highway you can pull 5th gear doing 80km/h (50 mph) at 2000 rpm put the truck in 6th gear I can do 100km/h (62 mph) at 2000 rpm. The next lowest set of gears for the Dana S110 is 4:88s it is what F-550s come standard with. The lowest gears is 5:38s.

My ideal plan is I found a 2007 F-450 6.0 2wd it is a repo from California so its rust free. The truck is selling for 27,000 it has a 12 foot deck. I would take the deck off and put it on my 03 450 and my dump on the 07. Sell my 03 for 18,000.

mudmaker
01-13-2010, 12:03 AM
EGR delete, studs, exhaust, gauges and put a good custom tuner on it.