PDA

View Full Version : New holland skids with Pilot controls? Anyone?

J. Peterson Grading
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I need a rubber tire machine for snow removal on a few parking ramps.

I am looking at a few newer used machines in the $20.000 price range. New Hollands have been catching my eye here lately.

Does anyone have any feedback on lets say a LS175 with pilot controls?

I am not overly sold on the idea, but it seems the NH machines are pretty bullet proof, and reliable. Neighboor has 2 that are over 20 years old and have been used every day in his construction business.

Thanks

J.

Dountman
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
We have 5 LS185 sized NH's. Our newest one has pilot controls. Might just be me but I'd take a hand and foot control machine over the pilot controls anyday. The pilot controls are nice when working long hours in the machine, but I'm not sure if the control of the machine that you lose is worth it.

DeereMan85
01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
The NHs I've run in that size were smooth, well-balanced machines. The boom/bucket hydraulics are nice and quick, which I like, especially for clearing snow. I haven't run one with pilots, so I can't tell you anything about that.

AEL
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
JPG dont do it! I bought a brand new 2007 c185 (ctl) fully loaded with pilots , and i wouldnt let my worst enemy buy one. This is going to sound like a gr rant but here goes...

The pilot controls on the machine are horrible. They have a lag of up to 4 seconds going from forward to reverse. The boom and bucket functions are fairly quick , with minimal lag.

In the first 600 hours of use (this machine was babied!) Final drive went on machine ($6600 just for the part) and the replacement unit i got from NH was the last one in the world! I would of had to wait 3-4 months for another one! And it had to get shipped from the UK. Then 2 bottom rollers went, front idler, quick attach had numerous problems with not working, machine had a bogging problem, dealer service was horrible, machine did not want to start when it was cold even when plugged in. And last but not least they depreciate so fast. Paid 58k for it brand new not even 2 years ago, and now with 730 ish hours i cant even get 21k for it (after putting about 14k into it)

I have a friend with a new style ls180 i believe and his turbo went at 120 hours, took dealer 2 weeks to fix, and they wouldnt give him a loaner machine.

I will never buy a nh machine again! Good luck!

KTM
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I have a L170, I have put a few hours on it this year moving snow. It performs better than any other skid i have pushed snow with, I don't know if it because it is the first narrow tire skid I have pushed with. If I was spending a few hours at a time in it I would definitly demo the pilot controls. The roar oars on the NH are pretty stiff, although they do have some feedback that i like sometimes. I have watched my wifes uncle push with there 190 with manure bucket on there farm and that thing will really move the snow! I really think that the NH's are a good value. most models hold there value real well around here. For some reason the 190's do not compared to what they go for new. One other good thing about the them is that there machine weight is always light compared to the competition, my 170 pulls very easy behind a standard pickup.

AEL
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear some one is happy with theres!

bobcat_ron
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
The 170 and 175 series have terribly small engines, a customer of mine blew his in 265 hours, warranty paid for it, got it back and blew it again, I looked at his engine, looked like a 2.0 versus the 2.2 I had in the Cat.
The 185 is a better machine, 3.2 liters, but they are ass heavy and they aren't the best for digging unless you use a heavy bucket.

KTM
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Glad to hear some one is happy with theres!

Yes, happy with the skid so far. No offense but doing my research before I bought my Tak, I was told by many to stay away from CNH CTL's, and the reasons were always drive related. I also had over $6,000 in repairs (drive related) on a Bobcat skid at 920 hrs BC did not help me one bit, and look how many happy BC customers there are on here. There all junk at some time or another. I have heard horror stories on all brands. I know of many happy NH customers, many repeat for 20+ years. I HOPE i can have the same success, to early to tell though.

AEL
01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Just giving the man my experience with them, and all the problems were not drive related- ie -engine bog, quick attach, dealer service, parts avail, i forgot the hyd pump failed at 450 hours (warranty did cover that) and the cabs are not nice in any way.

I completely agree that some times you just get a lemon, guess me and my friend got a pair of them.

KTM
01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Just giving the man my experience with them, and all the problems were not drive related- ie -engine bog, quick attach, dealer service, parts avail, i forgot the hyd pump failed at 450 hours (warranty did cover that) and the cabs are not nice in any way.

I completely agree that some times you just get a lemon, guess me and my friend got a pair of them.

I understand, if I was in your boat I would be spreading the word too. especially since they dicked with you with such low hours.

AtoZ
01-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Can't comment on the pilot controls - I absolutely hate pilot controls in general. I've had a ls 160 for about 9 years now. I've flipped it over once, been thru hell and back - beat the absolutely living crap out of it, multiple sets of tires - $200 dollars worth of repairs in 9 years, not counting oil changes and filters... I decided to do snow removal this winter and purchased a 2007 L185 with 90 hours on it for $25,000. I mounted a 8' Snow Wolf combination plow and pusher. All I can say is I absolutely hated the electric/servo controls the newer New Hollands have over my older mechanical control ls160 - all thanks to Case... But after using it about 4 times so far this winter I absolutely love the thing. I just had to get used to something different, ie. a newer machine and all the new electronic crap... Even the parking brake is electronic - still don't like that...

Tons of power, the heater works perfect, absolutely zero fogging issues inside the cab - just an all around solid piece of equipment for snow plowing. Did I mention the 2 speed is fast and it really is hard to beat the visibility on a NH going 13 miles per hour zipping around all the idiots parked at Walmart at 3 in the morning... My snow removal contractor uses Gehls with Blizzard plows - he knows better than to ask me to use them... Feel free to ask me any questions. Oh by the way the first time I plowed was 18 hours straight - I consumed $90 worth of diesel @ pretty much full throttle!!! The only problem I experienced was my backside was a little sore after 18 hrs in the seat - need to get a pad...

oakhillslandscaping
01-12-2010, 07:53 AM
i own a NH and i dont love it but i dont hate it. i like the power however mine is a LS190. i used to run a 170 at a garden center with pilot controls, not a bad machine for its size and for snow you shouldnt have any lifts problems.

MOREDIRT
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I have several nh 565 they load material all day everyday 100 yds a day average. I also have a 180 with pilots it is a fast machine the pilots are very precise a good dealer will adjust them when they get the machine new before they sell it. I have replaced several starters a fuel pump few hydro lines but nothing major and I only change the oil 1 or 2 times a year. These machines have had a hard life always outside they are never allowed to warm up and they just keep going some have 5k hours.

Typical day for one of our 565

AEL
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
wow what happned there?

Fieldman12
01-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Around here the New Hollands are thought pretty highly of. There use to be more than they are now but our closest dealers are now an hour away.

J. Peterson Grading
01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Well. I have ran one (Older 885 or something) a long time ago. It also seems like there are a few in our area, but they are used mostly by the area brickies.

I do know New Holland is running some real aggressive winter rental programs, but finding a dealer thats close-by that actually has a new pilot control unit is begining to become a tough job.

So, I guess I am going to have to pick up that POS Volvo MC90B after all. Thank god I don't have to run it.

J.

ksss
01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Well. I have ran one (Older 885 or something) a long time ago. It also seems like there are a few in our area, but they are used mostly by the area brickies.

I do know New Holland is running some real aggressive winter rental programs, but finding a dealer thats close-by that actually has a new pilot control unit is begining to become a tough job.

So, I guess I am going to have to pick up that POS Volvo MC90B after all. Thank god I don't have to run it.

J.

J. CASE, brother:weightlifter:

J. Peterson Grading
01-12-2010, 09:07 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not an option!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.

ksss
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not an option!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.

Why the hate?

J. Peterson Grading
01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Not going down that road again.

J.

AEL
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Bobcat, Johndeere, Cat? Any thing but a scat track!(volvo)

meets1
01-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Hate nh skids. BC or cat!
Posted via Mobile Device

nedly05
01-13-2010, 05:42 AM
I had a lot of trouble with my Deere 317. 2 road service calls, and then they came and took it back to there shop and went over it completly where they corrected "several other problems" I would tend to stay away from Deere. If I were looking for a skid, I would probably look at a bobcat (YIKES;)) as thats the closest skid dealer to me other than deere, but thats just me.

nedly05
01-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Maybe Hanau would let you borrow his racoon!!

pieperlc
01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I have several nh 565 they load material all day everyday 100 yds a day average. I also have a 180 with pilots it is a fast machine the pilots are very precise a good dealer will adjust them when they get the machine new before they sell it. I have replaced several starters a fuel pump few hydro lines but nothing major and I only change the oil 1 or 2 times a year. These machines have had a hard life always outside they are never allowed to warm up and they just keep going some have 5k hours.

Easiest way to take off the belly pan that I've found. :laugh:

idyllwild92549
01-31-2010, 05:41 PM
u mentioned the "ADJUST" the pilots..... it seems as thou my 2007 2speed pilot control l185 has lost speed, not power but speed??? when going forward its very noticeable and when turning on pavement it really lags??/ help with info!!!
thnx
kenny