PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy or Dixie Chopper?

tlojohnson
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I have 2 acres to mow and it's flat.
The Dixie Chopper dealer/service is 10 minutes from my house
The Bad Boy is 45 minutes
I'm leaning toward a Bad Boy but worried about the service being far away

I'm willing to spend between $4,000 and $7,500

I want something that will cut fast and last me a long time

Any input would be much appreciated
Thanks

djchiodo3
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Own both kinds of mowers. Go with dixie because of dealer location. Would suck to drive 90 minutes to get a belt or something for the mower. You could drive to Dixie dealer, get part and still be done mowing before getting back from Bad Boy dealer.(mowers owned:Bad Boy Lighting 52" 26hp Kaw/Dixie 66" 35hp yanmar diesel)

Richard Martin
01-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Either mower will cut just 2 acres weekly for years and years and years to come. This is a case of whichever dealer is better or more convenient.

milo
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
i never rode a bad boy but seen them but can tell you this if your mowing flat areas get the dixie out of these 2 mowers. dixie's in open flat areas are hard to beat

flatlander42
01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Out here in nowhereland 45minutes is not that far away....

The Rookie
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Dixie chopper is overated and overpriced. They don't stripe good and parts for them are expensive. I think they are ugly and will never own one. I have seen so many peoples yards ruined or killed by these mowers. Check out the new mz series from badboy. 2999 for a 48 inch cut.

macgyver
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Dixie chopper is overated and overpriced. They don't stripe good and parts for them are expensive. I think they are ugly and will never own one. I have seen so many peoples yards ruined or killed by these mowers. Check out the new mz series from badboy. 2999 for a 48 inch cut.

I have a Dixie with over 5000 hrs. It's a 23 hp Kolher, I've installed one set of head gaskets and replaced one inner spindle,as far as dixie not being able to stripe it's obvious you don't have a clue! I presently own 3 Dixies, they are very dependable and only require regular maintenence.I have had no experience with Bad Boy! UGLY has made my company alot of profit. Just My 2 cents

The Rookie
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
glad you like your chopper

bohiaa
01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I have a Dixie with over 5000 hrs. It's a 23 hp Kolher, I've installed one set of head gaskets and replaced one inner spindle,as far as dixie not being able to stripe it's obvious you don't have a clue! I presently own 3 Dixies, they are very dependable and only require regular maintenence.I have had no experience with Bad Boy! UGLY has made my company alot of profit. Just My 2 cents

I would really like to know more about the chopper. I have read all I could on them and would like to hear more form owners.

so far, from my research, they sound like very good machines.
I'm running exmarks now.

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 03:25 AM
I would really like to know more about the chopper. I have read all I could on them and would like to hear more form owners.

I'm another very happy owner. I have just under 1100 hours on mine and I've done literally nothing to it outside of routine maintenance. It even has the original belts on it. Although I'm not entirely happy with it's performance in crabgrass it will cut every other kind of grass I've encountered (northern and southern) very well. I am talking about the Classic type mower as I have no experience with the newer, more normal type designed, mowers. There are significant differences between the Classics and the new mowers.

bohiaa
01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm another very happy owner. I have just under 1100 hours on mine and I've done literally nothing to it outside of routine maintenance. It even has the original belts on it. Although I'm not entirely happy with it's performance in crabgrass it will cut every other kind of grass I've encountered (northern and southern) very well. I am talking about the Classic type mower as I have no experience with the newer, more normal type designed, mowers. There are significant differences between the Classics and the new mowers.

If I recall there the fastest mowers out there

lawns Etc
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
They used to be the fastest mower out at 15 Mph but there are several that match its speed. The Dixie will outcut and outstripe most brands in any but wet grass and as already said its not so great in wet crabgrass (chunks alot) but I have owned both and both are easy to work on and very reliable. My area the dixies are 2 to 1 or more than that in the commercial cutters but that would be different if we didnt have a great dealer like we do. I wouldnt be afraid to go Bad Boy either 45 minutes is nothing to travel around here. My closest stocking Exmark dealer is over 1 hour.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
If I recall there the fastest mowers out there

There fast just not as fast as our Super Z Hustlers. Unfair since the Dixie is running a 16cc pump and were running a 21cc Parker with a 31hp Kawasaki. Had to say it Richard. I know Richard loves his Dixie. They really are good machines though. I would rather buy a Dixie over a Bad Boy any day.

mowerbrad
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I bought a dixie in June 2009, I put about 45 hours on it and its for sale already. Now, it has nothing to do with how it performs entirely. I don't really have the accounts I was hoping to get this past year, instead I got alot of smaller lawns, so the dixie is a little big for me. And my dealer has gone "downhill" ever since I bought it, and it looks like the will be going out of business in not too long...they already were kicked out of their first store and have moved to a different one. And thats the nearest dixie dealer for me, the next closest is about an hour away, so thats a little too far away for me.

But the overall performance of the mower is great. It did cut my time to mow some lawns in half. It discharged the clippings well and striped great. It could cut fast and was a pretty smooth ride. If I didn't have the problems I'm having with the dealer, I might be keeping it. But having a dealer thats good and close to me is very important for me. So for you I would go with the dixie, just make sure they are a good, well established dealer. You won't be sorry that you got a dixie.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
seeing that dixie dealer is 30 closer than bad boy i woud go with dixie. their both good machines so whatever you go with would be a good mower

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
There fast just not as fast as our Super Z Hustlers. Unfair since the Dixie is running a 16cc pump and were running a 21cc Parker with a 31hp Kawasaki. Had to say it Richard. I know Richard loves his Dixie.

Yeah, I understand. Just remember though, not all Dixies are made the same. I know that you're also aware that there's 2 parts to a hydro system. The wheel motor and the pump. The closer in size the 2 are together the slower the motor will spin. Or... Given a set size of pump, the larger the wheel motor the faster it will turn. So you could use a small pump with a mid sized motor and go 20 MPH if you wanted to. BTW, my Dixie has 18 CI White motors on it.

The mayor
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Can't say anything about bad bay mowers, but We have 2 dixies and cut nice, stripe great. Not sure on the price of parts...nothing has broken on them and one is a 2004 model.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I understand. Just remember though, not all Dixies are made the same. I know that you're also aware that there's 2 parts to a hydro system. The wheel motor and the pump. The closer in size the 2 are together the slower the motor will spin. Or... Given a set size of pump, the larger the wheel motor the faster it will turn. So you could use a small pump with a mid sized motor and go 20 MPH if you wanted to. BTW, my Dixie has 18 CI White motors on it.

I know this that's how our 12cc pump Z4's and Hustler Z's run 12-13mph, while competitors using the same pumps only run 10mph.

MJB
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I know this that's how our 12cc pump Z4's and Hustler Z's run 12-13mph, while competitors using the same pumps only run 10mph.

I wish Hustler would slow them (Super z) down and make them climb better, changing pumps or wheel motors to get a combo that will not fail under 3000 hrs and climb like most slower ztrs. Otherwise they make decent mower comfort wise etc. Changing out the new xr7 to something that wouldn't have to be cleaned every few lawns in the spring would be an improvement too.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I wish Hustler would slow them (Super z) down and make them climb better, changing pumps or wheel motors to get a combo that will not fail under 3000 hrs and climb like most slower ztrs. Otherwise they make decent mower comfort wise etc. Changing out the new xr7 to something that wouldn't have to be cleaned every few lawns in the spring would be an improvement too.

They do have a unit for hills. Unfortunatley most dealers that should be stocking these don't. High Torque wheel pumps and motors. They are called HT Versions. A Slower 10 mph speed, but higher torque for better climbing and longer service from hydraulics. I've found that most people complaining about hydraulic issues in Hustler should of purchased a HT model, and some dealers considering their territory shouldn't even carry anything else. I blame the dealer and salesman for not making customers aware of these models. If you often climb hills or use a bagger, that's what the HT models are intended and designed for.

Down here in the east Faster is Better. And the XR-7 decks are great for cutting Bahai.

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
They do have a unit for hills. Unfortunatley most dealers that should be stocking these don't. High Torque wheel pumps and motors. They are called HT Versions. A Slower 10 mph speed, but higher torque for better climbing and longer service from hydraulics.

Exactly. The pump and motor are closer in size. There will always be a trade off in a hydro system. It just like changing the rear end gears in a car. You can either have 4.10s and really fly through the 1/4 mile but give up some top end or you can have 3.08s and have greater top end speed but give up some 1/4 time.

retrodog
01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Ok to answer your question properly, I have the price list and options of the Dixie and BB in front of me. The nice Dixie starts around $9999 retail, and the nice BB starts around $6999. Generac is the engine they are pushing which I am not a big fan of (although its very balanced), with BB you have alot more engine options. The $9999 Dixie has a Generac gas engine, the $9999 Bad Boy has a Cat diesel. It just feels like you will get more for your money with BB, although I do recommend mowing on both before you buy (if your dealers will let you). I like the controls on the Dixie because they are a little easier on the arms, but overall price, engine options, ease of maintenance, looks, the BB wins for me everytime. If you compare price to price with engines etc is where BB shines.

Richard Martin
01-14-2010, 03:24 AM
I have the price list and options of the Dixie and BB in front of me. The nice Dixie starts around $9999 retail, and the nice BB starts around $6999.

Yes but we all know you can get a Dixie for well under the retail price.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes but we all know you can get a Dixie for well under the retail price.

Because there are so many ZTR manufacturers and dealers, retail prices are fantasies for dealers. :laugh:I've never sold a unit at retail except for maybe once on a trade. But the extra went into the traded unit so we could get rid of it.