PDA

View Full Version : Enkianthus over stump?

weedwoop
05-26-2002, 03:23 PM
Here's a situation I think is going to be a challange, or maybe not. Customer has a 2' dia. Maple stump that she wants to have ground and wants to plant an Enkianthus in the exact location. I suggested offsetting the shrub but she will hear nothing of it. Will have to use small stump grinder because can't access with large piece of equipment. Question is, will a small grinder go deep enough to allow enough soil above to support the shrub. If I talk her into starting with a small enough shrub, will the stump rot fast enough to allow the shrub to grow. Hope this question isn't to stupid, i just haven't ben here before. Thanks

LawnLad
05-27-2002, 05:39 PM
It's not an issue of whether the machine will go deep enough... it's whether you're willing to dig out and remove all the grindings from the location and continue to grind until there is no stump/root flares remaining. Clean out your hole until your reach virgin soil and back fill with new soil. Shouldn't be a problem to install any plant as long as you remove the old stump completely.