PDA

View Full Version : Theft of Website Content #2

JimLewis
01-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Wow. I just started a thread on this a few weeks ago. But now it's happened again to a greater extent. This guy was REALLY bold. He actually stole EVERY FREAKING WORD, EVERY FREAKING PHOTO and EVERY IMAGE from my site. Even the entire site layout is the same. I can't believe the gall some people have. This guy is in the U.S. so I will be having some words with him. He'll have 20 days and then be speaking with my attorney.

Fortunately for me, I have a good attorney that I have earned a LOT of credit with over the years doing her landscape for trade. So this guy will be changing his tune, pretty soon I bet. Still just blows me away, though....

Here's our site;

http://www.lewislandscape.com

And here's almost an exact copy on E V E R Y S I N G L E P A G E !!

http://www.275wett.com/index.htm

JimLewis
01-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Wow! Maybe I don't even need to get my attorney involved.

Turns out that there is a whole host of cool things you can do to fire back at people who copy your web page or content;

http://www.timeforblogging.com/2006/12/10/how-to-protect-your-websites-copyright-when-someone-steals-your-content/

http://www.google.com/dmca.html

Unfortunately, it also turns out that I found another 20 or so sites that have stolen my content and/or photos and used them on their site. Oh well, good thing it's winter and I got PLENTY of time on my hands. Hehe...

billslawn89
01-12-2010, 05:42 AM
you should take your pictures and insert your name on them somehow through photoshop or other program before you upload them to the website. that will solve that problem. your website looks better anyways!:drinkup:

THC
01-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Your website really does still look a lot better then theirs, their logo alone makes them look like scrubs. But I wonder what real world effect you could have on them as long as they are not using your name.

JimLewis
01-12-2010, 06:12 AM
you should take your pictures and insert your name on them somehow through photoshop or other program before you upload them to the website. that will solve that problem. your website looks better anyways!:drinkup:

I agree. I am going to have to start doing that.

AI Inc
01-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Jim they may not even know it. They may have paid someone to do a site for them and the designer stole your info.

DeereMan85
01-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Jim they may not even know it. They may have paid someone to do a site for them and the designer stole your info.

Surely they would look at the website and notice that they didn't do any of the work shown, right?

grassman177
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
i guess it is a good thing we have mostly pics with one of our guys in uniform. since we have very distinctive uniforms, i dont think anyone would be that stupid, but we live in america. lots of stupid people

topsites
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
You have to consider the template that was being used, unless you built it yourself there's just no telling how much
information that template contained and how much of it would have come as standard, so it is very possible those
two Web sites were simply built using the same template.

And if it was a designer it's as possible they designed both, crank'm out assembly line style.
It ain't right but that's how it's done, at this point it's like looking at two Ford Taurus's of a different color, sure it's the same car.

The image bit is a good idea, I believe what you'll be looking for is called a water mark, along those lines.

Kutz Lawns
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
As soon as you put any information on the net it is public information and anybody can use it & why do you even care?

Is he your compitition in the same town?

Your getting yourself in a tizzy over nothing and happens all the time!

MarcSmith
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
He has every right to be pissed. he did work took pictures and is using those pictures that his client let him use. Now some schlub comes along and steals the pic and passes them off as his own work....Theft is theft...

I notice how how he wasn't good enough to offer the 5 year warranty

I know i've been seeing a lot more watermarks on pics......

You have a lawyer on retainier, let them do the dirty work.. Maybe we all could get some bogus hotmail accounts and start start spamming the bejesus out of him...

he missed a spot...
Synthetic Turf is becoming more and more popular each year. Whether you are looking for your own private golf putting green, a lawn the dogs can't ruin, or a maintenance free lawn, Synthetic turf might be your answer. If you're looking for a synthetic turf contractor in Gulfport, MS or Beaverton area, you've come to the right place.

JimLewis
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
You have to consider the template that was being used, unless you built it yourself there's just no telling how much
information that template contained and how much of it would have come as standard, so it is very possible those
two Web sites were simply built using the same template.

My site isn't a "template". I wrote every word myself and me and my designer custom designed every page ourselves, except for the photo gallery, which uses a template.

There was no template to copy. They just copied all our code.

JimLewis
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
As soon as you put any information on the net it is public information and anybody can use it & why do you even care?

Um, no! It's called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. And it's actually the OPPOSITE of what you say. Once you post your own content on the internet - copyrighted or not - it becomes intellectual property of the person who wrote it. And it is prosecutable by up to $100,000 in civil penalty.

In addition to civil liability there are a lot of other reasons you wouldn't want to do it.

When you get caught doing this, you have violated the Terms of Service that your web hosting company has - and when they find out they will take your site down and possibly never let you host a site with them again.

Both Google and Yahoo have legal departments that allow you to notify them when this happens. Once they check it out, they consider your site a violation and remove your site from all of their search results until you can prove that you've changed it.

And why do I care??? Dude! That's my work. I spent long hours writing those words. It's just inconsiderate and totally unprofessional to steal someone elses photos and text. Come up with your own stuff for God sake.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
kick but jim

Kiril
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Um, no! It's called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. And it's actually the OPPOSITE of what you say. Once you post your own content on the internet - copyrighted or not - it becomes intellectual property of the person who wrote it. And it is prosecutable by up to $100,000 in civil penalty.

Jim is right. Copyright is automatically granted to the original author of any body of work.

rnh719
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Jim I can totally understand why you would be infuriated over the theft of your site content. I think it's bigger than the theft of the content though... as corny as it may sound, as I have used this site for advice and knowledge while growing my husband and I's business, I have always looked up to you and your company. I've read the story of your beginnings and to see what you've grown your company to and how humble you are with all of your success is inspirational and gives me hope that some day we too can achieve the same success. We started small and with out very much and over the years have grown slowly but surely through a lot of hard work. That being said, I know how much work goes into growing a business... the long hours..the sacrifices... the stress... the blood, sweat and tears... so for someone to come along with no regard for what it took for you to build your business and steal your pictures and content is appalling. I don't know if I'm wording it the right way, but that's more what jumped out at me. That some moron can come along and steal credit and content of what you've worked for. I had to laugh that I noticed one tab/section he left out was the testimonials section lol. That alone speaks volumes about his "company." I agree with other posters that I'd be getting my attorney involved. I can only imagine how scared this guy would be after hearing from your attorney knowing he got caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar. It's one thing to look up to a company but it's another to steal their site and credit for their work. I have learned though I will be putting water marks or some kind of name on our pictures to keep others from stealing them.

jsf343
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I am surprised at some of the dumb comments even on here. :dizzy:

Jim did the work, put in the time and money to have his OWN site, not to share it with a bunch of lazyy a$$es who dont want to do the same. It is america in this day and age. I would go after them as hard as you can, it is your business and they are stealing from it.

kick some A Jim
:realmad:

Richard Martin
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
That does bite Jim. Back in the 90's I took the time to make some custom graphics that were related to a specific topic that there was a lot of interest in. I had the permission of the owner of the product to do this and the graphics came out really nice. In about a year my work was all over the place and it really irritated me. I had the page and all contents legally copyrighted but by the time I noticed what was going on it was to late.

MikeKle
01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
What an A**hole?!! If I were you, I would post something about the person that is copying your stuff, and see if it ceases after that, if not post a message about taking legal action the next time it happens, and keep copies of everything so a judge or lawyer can see all the proof. IF it still keeps up, threaten him with physical harm! Or you could play a joke on him and post a message that says you are going out of business and give your telephone number as the number for all the customers to call, that way, he will loose all his customers and you will gain them! The ultimate revenge! Good Luck.

TJLANDS
01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
That really sucks,
I wouldn't even think that was possible.
I would bet that the guy paid someone to build that site for him.

Did you really find 20 other people that used your stuff?,

How well do you know your web designer?

Yater
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM

:laugh:...are you serious?

bohiaa
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Copyright...........

JimLewis
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Did you really find 20 other people that used your stuff?,

How well do you know your web designer?

Yah, more than that actually. I actually had to stop looking. My wife found 4 more this morning. This guy was the most egregious so far. He stole my entire site, verbatim with the photos. Most of the other thieves just stole one page or a few paragraphs or one photo. I'll be dealing with all of these guys soon. Right now, just enjoying my last 5 days in Maui at the Rain Bird Select Contractor conference (which is an AWESOME place to be right now, by the way...) But when I get back I'll have some fun.

topsites
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Perhaps it's not exactly as he put it, but basically what he was trying to say is that content
copying is a fact of life on the Web, sure enough, you put it up, someone else will mirror it.
And if it hasn't happened to you either count your lucky stars or just wait until it does, what can I say?

I heard this same advice many years ago, today I try not to lose much sleep over it.

You can pay lawyers and do this and that, in the end what do you get?
Some personal satisfaction, and a whole lot of hard feelings.
They might fine the other guy big, but what does that do?

I'm not saying that makes it right, but I do agree on the bit of trying not to get too worked up over it.

Hard as it might seem I might try and take it as a compliment, that fellow
found your Web site SO good that he could NOT resist taking it.

Way I try and feel when one of my hand tools disappears, son of a gun, two or three handheld sprayers
last year and TWO 10-tine pitchforks this year, all of this costs money but I like to think maybe I made a
mistake and left them somewhere plus I'm glad if someone took it that it is all they took.

And who knows, what if I left those tools someplace, odd that they wouldn't still be there but why not?
So then what if this guy used the same PROGRAM to make his Web site, perhaps the program just lends itself
to crank out that design, yes I do agree that's a bit far fetched but how do we really know for sure what's going on here?

Then it's like it ain't nothing, I know we work hard all day but at least they left trailer and equipment alone.

Kutz Lawns
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Who you gonna call, the internet police!

If your serious JL go hire a lawyer or lawyers and waste thousands of dollars hunting these people down and take 'em all down, but hey I'm in your court then!

MikeKle
01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Go to the idiots website and find out some info on him, then go after him! You could also have someone get into his website and crash it or at least cause major damage! I would do nothing less than this to someone who was stealing from me! He is really asking for it anyway.

JohnnyRocker
01-12-2010, 11:53 PM
This could just be that someone used the same templates.

Turf Commando
01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Maybe you have a twin brother ....?

MarcSmith
01-13-2010, 07:14 AM
This could just be that someone used the same templates.He said it was his own design, no templates... one thing to copy a template. but to copy verbatim word for word picture for picture. pretty ballsy. they all deserve to taken down...

Id even venture to say that once you caught the offenders they could be sued for your costs of legal action.

JohnnyRocker
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
He said it was his own design, no templates... one thing to copy a template. but to copy verbatim word for word picture for picture. pretty ballsy. they all deserve to taken down...

Id even venture to say that once you caught the offenders they could be sued for your costs of legal action.

It just looks like every other template I see out there. Maybe your source is full of it. This guy isn't even in the same area as you, anyways. Maybe you should advertise, and not let this ruin your life.:usflag:

Roger
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree with Jim Lewis and his dismay that somebody would steal the contents. Yes, it is stealing, no semantics cover this fact.

As was pointed out earlier the content is Jim's intellectual content. He considers it to have value, and rightly so. Many agree with Jim, the content should not be there for the taking. Why? It is Jim's intellectual property. No more complex than that, no simpler.

I don't want to hijack but, ... Taking the idea to another area so often discussed on LS, the subject of contracts. How often are threads posted, "Can somebody send me a contract?" or similar. I'm astonished at these requests. A contract is somebody's intellectual property. Just as some of us object to somebody taking Jim's content because it has value, why shouldn't we object when somebody wants to take intellectual property without cost? A good contract, drafted by somebody with legal expertise (no, not a simple letter of understanding written by legal wanna-bes) has value. To suggest that giving it away, or asking without intention of paying, says it is of no value. Jim considers his content of value. If we have a contract that is worth anything (e.g. having intellectual value), then the contents should not be (a) asked for with no intention of paying, (b) given to another just because somebody asks. After following these discussions for many years, I have concluded that most people on LS do not understand intellectual property. We can understand a ZTR, a truck, a trimmer, etc., but have a hard time grasping the notion of an intellectual property being of as much, or greater value, than a physical object. In some companies, the value of the intellectual property is far, far greater than anything physical.

mdlwn1
01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Standard template as others have said........you were not original enough....kinda your fault.

willretire@40
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
How do you search the web to see if someone is copying your site?

MarcSmith
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
And why do I care??? Dude! That's my work. I spent long hours writing those words. It's just inconsiderate and totally unprofessional to steal someone elses photos and text. Come up with your own stuff for God sake.

MD lawn and JR. have you looked at the sties. they are copied word for word. we are not just talking the same format we are talking stolen pics, words, ect... verbatim plagerism

So If I live 800 miles away from you and I come and steal your string trimmer you are OK with it, but not ok with it if I live close to you?

JimLewis
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
How do you search the web to see if someone is copying your site?

There are web programs that do it for you, like this one;
http://www.copyscape.com/

Or actually the best way I've found to do it is to just take about 2-3 sentences from any page on your website - copy them into memory (Control-C) - and them drop that into a Google search bar (Control-V) with quotations around it. That will search for any website that has those exact words on it.

Then you just gotta look around at that website and see if they just stole those sentences or if it is much more.

JohnnyRocker
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
It just looks like every other template I see.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Watermark your images!!!!! Not that hard

jsf343
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Why don't you bait him? try to find what state he is in (maybe you know and I just missed that part) call and get his info, tell him you might be interested in having him do a commercial property that you are the general manager of, once you have his basic info you can fill in the blanks and decide where to go from there, maybe give the lawyer all the info or whatever.

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Dang, every once in a while I wish Lawnsite was a little easier on the use of specific words. I have a couple for ↑↑↑↑↑↑

sehitchman
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Have any of the offenders been called to discuss this? Perhaps their web designer is the one at fault. A legit business person would take the offending material down quickly.

HOOLIE
01-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Why don't you bait him? try to find what state he is in (maybe you know and I just missed that part) call and get his info, tell him you might be interested in having him do a commercial property that you are the general manager of, once you have his basic info you can fill in the blanks and decide where to go from there, maybe give the lawyer all the info or whatever.

No need to set the bait...there is a public directory of all this stuff, the best search I find is thru Godaddy.com Just logon to their site and scroll to the bottom, under "Resources" click on the "WHOIS Search" link, then type in the domain name, and presto, you have all the info on the site's owner.

I looked up the one Jim posted here...you got his full name, address, phone number, company name, etc.

Stingray63
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
It makes me wonder why others can't use their own imagination and creativity to design a website for their company. It shows how much intelligence some people have in their brains, not much if you asked me!

Hi Jim Lewis, Just thought I'd introduce myself to you. I'm a local landscape operator as well. Hope everything works out for you on this matter.

Aloha, Stingray

jsf343
01-14-2010, 01:23 AM
No need to set the bait...there is a public directory of all this stuff, the best search I find is thru Godaddy.com Just logon to their site and scroll to the bottom, under "Resources" click on the "WHOIS Search" link, then type in the domain name, and presto, you have all the info on the site's owner.

I looked up the one Jim posted here...you got his full name, address, phone number, company name, etc.

Im talking about the guy who stole his stuff. Maybe you are right though, he might be just dumb enough to have it all listed. That would sure take the cake.

jlouki01
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
File a complaint with the search engines ( mainly google ) and they will de list his website for stealing your content.

MarkintheGarden
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with Jim Lewis and his dismay that somebody would steal the contents. Yes, it is stealing, no semantics cover this fact.

As was pointed out earlier the content is Jim's intellectual content. He considers it to have value, and rightly so. Many agree with Jim, the content should not be there for the taking. Why? It is Jim's intellectual property. No more complex than that, no simpler.

I don't want to hijack but, ... Taking the idea to another area so often discussed on LS, the subject of contracts. How often are threads posted, "Can somebody send me a contract?" or similar. I'm astonished at these requests. A contract is somebody's intellectual property. Just as some of us object to somebody taking Jim's content because it has value, why shouldn't we object when somebody wants to take intellectual property without cost? A good contract, drafted by somebody with legal expertise (no, not a simple letter of understanding written by legal wanna-bes) has value. To suggest that giving it away, or asking without intention of paying, says it is of no value. Jim considers his content of value. If we have a contract that is worth anything (e.g. having intellectual value), then the contents should not be (a) asked for with no intention of paying, (b) given to another just because somebody asks. After following these discussions for many years, I have concluded that most people on LS do not understand intellectual property. We can understand a ZTR, a truck, a trimmer, etc., but have a hard time grasping the notion of an intellectual property being of as much, or greater value, than a physical object. In some companies, the value of the intellectual property is far, far greater than anything physical.

Roger you are right about the value of many types of intellectual property,
But there is a big difference between asking for something and just taking something.

What surprised me the most is that when I looked at Jim's site and then the copied site, it is an almost complete copy page after page, photo for photo.

As others have said, I would guess this is the work of a shameless web builder.

Roger
01-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Roger you are right about the value of many types of intellectual property,
But there is a big difference between asking for something and just taking something.

Yes, I agree about a difference between just taking something -- that is stealing, plain and simple. Taking the content of Lewis' website is stealing, no further discussion, nor any excuses about templates, etc.

My second paragraph was intended to convey the idea that intellectual property has a value, a point I believe is so often missed on LS. It is clear that often those asking for a free copy of intellectual property aren't understanding the value. And, those offering to give it away for nothing aren't understanding the value either. I've posted something like this before, and am wondering who will send me a trimmer for nothing, or perhaps even a mower. As of yet, nobody has offered to give me anything tangible. I'm not holding my breath either.

MarkintheGarden
01-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, I agree about a difference between just taking something -- that is stealing, plain and simple. Taking the content of Lewis' website is stealing, no further discussion, nor any excuses about templates, etc.

My second paragraph was intended to convey the idea that intellectual property has a value, a point I believe is so often missed on LS. It is clear that often those asking for a free copy of intellectual property aren't understanding the value. And, those offering to give it away for nothing aren't understanding the value either. I've posted something like this before, and am wondering who will send me a trimmer for nothing, or perhaps even a mower. As of yet, nobody has offered to give me anything tangible. I'm not holding my breath either.

Good point and well taken! That kind of property is the result of trial and error and a lot of work. Further, creating legal forms, advertisements and such are probably not things many of us have much experience or training in. I do not offer up that kind of property to the many who post requests for it, but I do often offer comments and suggestions to those who are developing their own material. Most of the advertisements, legal forms, and administrative material that is used in this industry is either amateur or basic format templates, and I think that this proves your point, this material and it's value for creating company image is often overlooked.

Roger, I have a shovel with a broken handle and some bent and rusted blades that you can have if you want to drop by later or make arrangements for shipping.:laugh:

Roger
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Roger, I have a shovel with a broken handle and some bent and rusted blades that you can have if you want to drop by later or make arrangements for shipping.:laugh:

Ah shucks! I have some broken shovels already, and blades that are not good. But, thanks for the offer anyway.

PROCUT1
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Geez.

Call the guy up and find out what the story is first. Dam its not complicated.

johnnybravo8802
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Yea, I actually got a guy started in this business back in 03-04'. He was a former tool salesman who couldn't even use a stick edger when he started. We soon fell out with one another and I looked at his website not long ago. He stated he had been in business since 99' which was a lie and he can all of a sudden do retaining walls and water features. I know this guy well and know he's FOS!!!!!! The problem is that his customers don't know the truth and that pisses me. There are a lot of FOS people in this business.

jsf343
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Geez.

for real Pro?! story? what story would/could there be? A lyin story maybe.

rcslawncare
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
kick but jim

2cd that!!

PROCUT1
01-14-2010, 08:37 PM
for real Pro?! story? what story would/could there be? A lyin story maybe.

Whatever it is. I would pick up the phone and call the dude.

My sarcasm isnt directed at Jim. He knows me from here for years so I know he didnt take offense. But some responses are kinda far out there before anyone has made contact.

JimLewis
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Geez.

Right... Maybe he didn't realize that those weren't photos of his work where it says, "Check out photos of our work" or maybe he didn't realize that the article posted on his irrigation page was an article about Jim Lewis.....or maybe he doesn't realize that he's not really a Rain Bird Select Contractor.

So you're saying instead of being a theif maybe he's just incredibly ignorant.... right..... could be. But if he's that ignorant, I don't necessarily want to talk with him.

I hear what you're saying. But I have no interest in calling the guy. I emailed him and gave him 10 days to take it all down. After that point, I'll be contacting Godaddy.com and have them remove the site for violating their Terms Of Service agreement and Google and Yahoo's legal departments for removal from their search engines. I don't care to talk to the guy. If he's that ignorant, he deserves what he's got coming.

yamadooski
01-14-2010, 08:46 PM
After reading 7 pages of replies. Jim I really feel for you. I have seen your web site and like it.
This is the very reason I dont have a web site. 18 years in and still doing good ole fashion advertising.
I would be to tempted to put pics of all my designs up only to have other so called landscapers with no imagination copy the design and I say the same about homeowners too.
I had a similar experience which I feel alot of good landscapers do, had a design I did, not get the job, come by few weeks later and there is 95% of my design. I got lucky because the idiot customer and landscaper didnt have the knowledge to keep it warm during the winter. There were a lot of tropical palms and plants in it that should not have been there. It's what the customer wanted, but I never told him how to keep it warm.

I hope you keep us posted on the outcome of this. Enjoy your trip. I wish I were there. It feels like Alaska here in Tampa. I want to punch everyone in the face for the stupid "Let It Snow" signs I saw during Christmas around here because it really did snow here in Tampa this last week.

Kutz Lawns
01-14-2010, 11:11 PM
There are a lot of FOS people in this business.

That's the understatement of the year!

JimLewis
01-18-2010, 05:24 PM
UPDATE:

Looks like the offending website owner has started to change his site. I sent him a few email warnings giving him 10 days to change it so it's been like 5 or 6 days now and I see the home page has totally changed and looks like it's under construction. So that's good progress. The other pages are still up but there is no link to them on the home page so I'll watch and see what happens. But thankfully this is starting to get resolved without me having to take it much further.

MnDLawn
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
UPDATE:

Looks like the offending website owner has started to change his site. I sent him a few email warnings giving him 10 days to change it so it's been like 5 or 6 days now and I see the home page has totally changed and looks like it's under construction. So that's good progress. The other pages are still up but there is no link to them on the home page so I'll watch and see what happens. But thankfully this is starting to get resolved without me having to take it much further.

He is lucky you are being so nice, a lawyer would have a field day with him.

Flightkid
01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
I suggest to everybody to couple of things when it comes to this. If you are trying to protect pics of your designs: use a flash gallery, a video collage, or watermark them. A simple google search will help you with any of those. To make the video you can find a simple program online (or if you have a newer computer it was probably shipped with a program) upload it to youtube and embed it to your site. I suggest for watermarking you go here: http://picmarkr.com its free and really easy to use. When you are trying to protect your content you can't do that much, but you can use flash, or copy and paste the text into a image. That way people can't copy and paste directly to their site.

yardguy28
01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
if your site isn't copy righted i'd shut up if i were you......

i know it sucks that someone stole your stuff but if your the type that are bothered by people who don't have there own imagination then copy right your information or shut up. it's not illegal to use someone elses information unless it's copy righted.

jsf343
01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
if your site isn't copy righted i'd shut up if i were you......

i know it sucks that someone stole your stuff but if your the type that are bothered by people who don't have there own imagination then copy right your information or shut up. it's not illegal to use someone elses information unless it's copy righted.

:dizzy::laugh:

whatever dude

topsites
01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
And I keep trying to tell you there's something else going on, it's not that folks never copy a Web site
but in 10 years I've seen it happen with mine once, maybe twice, and maybe I missed a few but I'm
pretty sure it wasn't no 20 in a short season because it's just not an everyday thing.

And I was going to list out the reasons AGAIN but, lo and behold:

My site isn't a "template". I wrote every word myself and me and my designer custom designed every page ourselves, except for the photo gallery, which uses a template.

Yeah don't kid yourself, who is this guy, do you know him, as in does he live near you?
Or is he just some dude you contacted online...
Don't make the mistake of assuming your site is the ONLY thing this designer ever built,
more than likely HE uses the same layout and photos for everything he builds, more so
perhaps landscape contractors are his main clientele for some odd reason...

Of course yours is "custom designed," right along with every single other customer of his...

So you better go have a word with that designer before you go firing off nasty letters to folks who likely didn't have
squat to do with it, more than likely don't even know wth is going on, poor folks probably shatteted their pants when
they saw your legalese and quickly removed the supposedly offensive material while wondering how they'd ever
recover the money THEY spent!
But I guess that's all right, at least yours is the one and only now...?

Either way there's a whole lot more to it than folks just up and copying the stuff, once or twice I can see it, but man...

All American CL
01-29-2010, 06:12 AM
How on earth did you find the people that took your images, btw I see your guys all over town. Looking good and professional

CGlisson
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
After looking at his website and then your website...I don't you think have any worries at all. I wouldn't hire that guy if you paid me.

JimLewis
01-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Well, he'd probably changed all of it by the time you saw the page. It used to look exactly like my site a few weeks ago. As in - every word - every photo. He's since changed it. Looks pretty crappy now.

JimLewis
01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
How on earth did you find the people that took your images, btw I see your guys all over town. Looking good and professional

Hey! A local! There's hardly ever anyone around Lawnsite who is from my area. :waving:

Thanks for the kind words. Yah, we've been upgrading our trucks and in the process of upgrading our trailers to look more professional. So those newer ones are standing out more. I still have one really ugly faded truck that will be replaced this spring and 2 more trailers to replace. But our image is improving a lot, along with our presence as we continue to grow. 'Course we do kinda stand out probably more than most too, with the bright red trucks and white lettering. So you probably see a lot of other guys around too - they just don't stick out as much. :laugh: It's crazy how many LCOs there are around this area, isn't it? I swear, I see a dozen new ones every week.

I found those because I was searching for blocks of text that I wrote on my site and seeing if I could find those same blocks of text elsewhere on the internet. Turns out, some of them stole my photos too.

There is a website application that allows you to search for your photos online to see if any other sites are using them. There are several actually. The one I can think of off the top of my head is this one;
http://www.tineye.com/

jsf343
01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey! A local! There's hardly ever anyone around Lawnsite who is from my area. :waving:

Thanks for the kind words. Yah, we've been upgrading our trucks and in the process of upgrading our trailers to look more professional. So those newer ones are standing out more. I still have one really ugly faded truck that will be replaced this spring and 2 more trailers to replace. But our image is improving a lot, along with our presence as we continue to grow. 'Course we do kinda stand out probably more than most too, with the bright red trucks and white lettering. So you probably see a lot of other guys around too - they just don't stick out as much. :laugh: It's crazy how many LCOs there are around this area, isn't it? I swear, I see a dozen new ones every week.

I found those because I was searching for blocks of text that I wrote on my site and seeing if I could find those same blocks of text elsewhere on the internet. Turns out, some of them stole my photos too.

There is a website application that allows you to search for your photos online to see if any other sites are using them. There are several actually. The one I can think of off the top of my head is this one;
http://www.tineye.com/

what are you talking about there is hardly anyone from our area?!:waving:

by the way, glad to see the idiot changing his tune about your material.

JimLewis
01-31-2010, 01:00 AM
what are you talking about there is hardly anyone from our area?!:waving:

That's what I am saying. There are thousands of people on lawnsite but almost nobody from the Portland area. And those who are from our area don't come around lawnsite very often.

PR Fect
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
I suggest for watermarking you go here: http://picmarkr.com its free and really easy to use. When you are trying to protect your content you can't do that much, but you can use flash, or copy and paste the text into a image. That way people can't copy and paste directly to their site.

Yes but Kid, can they not copy paste to photo editor and take the water mark off and then paste too their site?

Flightkid
01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Yes but Kid, can they not copy paste to photo editor and take the water mark off and then paste too their site?

Not if you cover the entire photo or most of it from bottom left to top right corner etc. You are right if there is some text at the bottom then that can easily be cropped out.

Lawn Pawn
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Have been involved with advertising for over 25 years.... so maybe I notice more of these .... infringements .... than most people.

Local car dealer copied a national hotel chain for a voice over in their radio ads for months. I finally got so bad I called the hotel chain corporate office!! Was gone in a week.

Local hotel for over fifteen years that I know of... used a national carpet manufactures trade mark/logo on all their own bill boards. This was 40 years ago... but I remember it very well. They eventually went out of business.

Local business currently uses a national electronics manufactures logo as their own. Must happen to be their own initials?

Got a calendar in the mail once... had one of my own images I had sold years before to another company for a catalog cover. Did call them up but never requested any money or made a fuss over it. They were embarrassed at least.

What I'm saying is....... happens all the time..... it always has. Gatta decide how important it is to you to pursue.

jsf343
02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
That's what I am saying. There are thousands of people on lawnsite but almost nobody from the Portland area. And those who are from our area don't come around lawnsite very often.

I am not sure if you even remember me, no worries if you don't. Do you still have the M Wallace maybe it was wallis (think that was how it was spelled) account from 5 or so years ago?

We don't go out that way, don't have any work over there (west side of town) anymore, so have actually recommended you guys since you are over that way to quite a few people. I never know if it translates into anything for you or not but any little bit helps I guess.

anyway enjoy the dryer/warmer winter, heard spring is going to be wet. :laugh:

c-ya

JimLewis
02-01-2010, 02:22 AM
It took me a few minutes. But yah! I remember! That was a good account. I am pretty sure he's not with us anymore. I don't know why. But he was a good customer for several years.

Hey, if you're sending stuff my way, we need to talk. I have been seriously looking for someone on the East side of town to send leads to. We get a TON of them all spring and summer time and I am always frustrated because I don't really have many people to send them to. Well, at least not anyone who will reciprocate. All of the companies I currently send leads to who cover the East side (e.g. Landscape East West, All Natural Landscape) also service the West side as well. So when they get calls for my area, they just keep them for themselves. I'm helping them out and they are not reciprocating. I've been trying to find someone on the E. side to send referrals to who would send them back our way. If you're looking for more business we should talk. PM me with your email address. Also a brief description of what scope of work you guys do. We need to talk more on email....

JimLewis
02-01-2010, 02:24 AM
I could start 10 threads just like this. I've found almost 2 dozen companies now who have stolen our content and/or photos. I am in the process of dealing with each of them.

But I had to point out a new one I recently found. Check out this fool. He's got some serious balls. He didn't even bother stealing my photos. He just linked right up to my photo gallery like it was his own. Check out his photos section and then click on one of the photo galleries and see where it takes you....

http://www.outdoormatters.co.nz/

EastCoast
02-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Wow. I just started a thread on this a few weeks ago. But now it's happened again to a greater extent. This guy was REALLY bold. He actually stole EVERY FREAKING WORD, EVERY FREAKING PHOTO and EVERY IMAGE from my site. Even the entire site layout is the same. I can't believe the gall some people have. This guy is in the U.S. so I will be having some words with him. He'll have 20 days and then be speaking with my attorney.

Fortunately for me, I have a good attorney that I have earned a LOT of credit with over the years doing her landscape for trade. So this guy will be changing his tune, pretty soon I bet. Still just blows me away, though....

Enough already.... take this offline!

There is no value in this thread!

Yes it's wrong, but enough already...

http://www.lewislandscape.com

And here's almost an exact copy on E V E R Y S I N G L E P A G E !!

http://www.275wett.com/index.htm

Posted via Mobile Device

MarcSmith
02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
jim I feel for ya....

this is a valuable lesson for those who do their own websites do put watermarks on all their images.

I was also told that one way to stop the text harvesting is to scan your text in as an image. makes it much harder to modify....or at the very least they need to retype the entire document if they want it...

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 07:54 AM
OMG!!! This guy is still has his panties in a bunch over this matter? LOL!:hammerhead:

jsf343
02-01-2010, 10:59 AM
OMG!!! This guy is still has his panties in a bunch over this matter? LOL!:hammerhead:

He has his panties in a bunch?! you are the fool who read it and commented, if you don't like it move to another thread. This site allows for conversations on any topic landscape related and the theft of his website material is related to industry discussion. If you actually read the thread you might learn something... although I doubt it.

Go find another another sandbox to play in troll.:hammerhead:

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Aww...your diaper is leaking little girl. LMAO!!!:hammerhead:

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Spend more time working and less time being a cry baby. Talk to the hand because I'm done with this whiny baby thread.

JimLewis
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
He has his panties in a bunch?! you are the fool who read it and commented, if you don't like it move to another thread. This site allows for conversations on any topic landscape related and the theft of his website material is related to industry discussion. If you actually read the thread you might learn something... although I doubt it.

Go find another another sandbox to play in troll.:hammerhead:

You don't already have that guy on your IGNORE LIST?

The rest of us do. Nobody pays attention to this ass-clown. :laugh:

jsf343
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Spend more time working and less time being a cry baby. Talk to the hand because I'm done with this whiny baby thread.

Ok Jonny Utah,

talk to the hand?! you have been watching to much Oprah.

Hey, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

jsf343
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
You don't already have that guy on your IGNORE LIST?

The rest of us do. Nobody pays attention to this ass-clown. :laugh:

Ignore? where is this special command you speak of? :laugh:

actually these little spankies :cry: don't bother me too much.

JimLewis
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Ignore? where is this special command you speak of? :laugh:

Imagine you're playing a poker game with your buddies and everyone's shottin' the breeze, having a few beers, having a good time - when all of a sudden this small door opens up in the wall and this little knee-high p3cker-wood punk starts talkin' smack at you while you guys are trying to have to good time. And he just W O N T .... S H U T..... U P. So, yah, he's not that annoying. You can just kick him in the nuts, shove his lollypop up his tailpipe and throw him back out the room. But then every 30 minutes the door opens and he's back at it.

The ignore feature removes that door and let's you get on with your game without his constant annoyance.

You can find it in the USER CP area.