PDA

View Full Version : Raped by Dealer...???

4 seasons lawn&land
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey, just wondering what you guys think about a bill Im getting from the dealer.

I just talked to the guy on the phone and he said a guy was "on it all morning" and figured out the problem which was an electrical drain from the brake box that I installed so no warranty involved I assume since he told me the price. He said they figured out what was wrong, replaced one froze up battery, and installed the brake box correctly for $575. So I know the batteries are expensive but I thought when they hooked the truck up to the computer it would point thwem straight to the problem with the brake box and the "all morning" thing shouldn't happen.

Im no mechanic so I didn't bother the guy but thought it sounded high so I thought I'd ask here first.

Let me know what you think.

Evan528
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I think the "computer" only points them to in the direction of the problem if a check engine light has been triggerd.

unkownfl
01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Its fair its after market equipment that caused the issue. You have to pay by the hour. It shouldn't have taken him that long, but I don't know how far your truck is modified either. He/She is not familiar with the equipment or how it works adds time.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I have upgraded to tow mirrors and the brake box, thats the extent of modifications.

Lawn Man Dave
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
If you told them you installed a brake box then any half descent tech should have checked that first.

$575 is not that bad, if you told them you installed that box then you may be able to get them to come down on the price some, Id even ask why they did not check the box first if they knew that.

In the futrue I would just replace the battery yourself, it is easy and saves money. Id also find a tech that is good at electrical work, if it took this one all morning to figure it out and they knew you put in a brake box then it is on them for taking that long.

Also if the problem started after you installed the box and they knew this then they should have gone straight to the box.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I wasn't going to replace anything myself because the truck is under waranty which translates to me as free. The box never crossed my mind and I never said anything to them about it. I'll ask them what their rate is and say "so X hours to figure that out?" But I dunno if its a bad price, it looks retarted to me but what do I know.

GravelyGuy
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Electrical stuff is expensive. I had a short in my S10 and it was expensive. Chevy's have crappy wiring.

howierd3866
01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
dont you have to sign an work order type before any work is done on any work over $250.00.I thought its a law all garage must have you sign it.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I dont think here in NY. Never heard of it before. The problem is the work was warranty work until they discovered the source, and that it was my own fault at which point I think the work was over. He did call at that point and asked if I wanted them to install the box correctly and gave me this $575 figure. Sure its not warrantied, thats fine but the money seems stupid to find a drain and replace a battery. Then fixing the brake box wiring probably took 2 minutes.

I figure diagnosing- 1/2 hour?
New battery- 1/2 hour plus the cost of the battery.
wire brake box-nominal

=$575 WTF????

Lawn Man Dave
01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I dont think here in NY. Never heard of it before. The problem is the work was warranty work until they discovered the source, and that it was my own fault at which point I think the work was over. He did call at that point and asked if I wanted them to install the box correctly and gave me this $575 figure. Sure its not warrantied, thats fine but the money seems stupid to find a drain and replace a battery. Then fixing the brake box wiring probably took 2 minutes.

I figure diagnosing- 1/2 hour?
New battery- 1/2 hour plus the cost of the battery.
wire brake box-nominal

=$575 WTF????

Unless you really know the systems and how to acess everything Id say it would be more then a half hour to trouble shoot. Half hour for the battery might be a little on the high side.

Yeah I am sure fixing the box was no big deal, trouble shooting is what cost you. The problem is that if the truck throw's a code it often does not point right to the problem, if could say left banck rich, ok why is the left bank runing rich? Bad or wrong plugs? Computer issue? Injector issue?

I have found that if a problem comes up after I work on something that chanes are I messed something up, like when I installed a stereo once and the clock on it would never shut off, I hooked up one wire wrong, I fixed it and it turned off when the stereo went off.

If the dealer would have knwon about the box chances are it would have been around an hour total labor for everything but remember that just because it may take a half hour on the battery that chances are they will charge you for at least an hour, that is how the shop and tech make money.

Horsepower Lawns
01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
What do you mean by "brake box"? A brake control?
If so, was it an after market one or did you get a factory one and install?
Was this the 07 Chevy?

I install the brake controls at my full time job. We can have them installed in about 20min. I don't know how you could install one wrong and it drain the battery.

Please tell me what they did & how you hooked it up "wrong"

4 seasons lawn&land
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
What do you mean by "brake box"? A brake control?
If so, was it an after market one or did you get a factory one and install?
Was this the 07 Chevy?

I install the brake controls at my full time job. We can have them installed in about 20min. I don't know how you could install one wrong and it drain the battery.

Please tell me what they did & how you hooked it up "wrong"

This is an 07 new style chevy. It is a tekonsha trailer brake control and my uncle installed it so I have no idea. I believed the guy from the dealer only because the box was not lit up anymore like it used to be (been meaning to have someone look at it). He said it was draining 120 mili-amps or some crap like that.

GravelyGuy
01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
The Tekonsha vehicle specific wiring harnesses are like $10 if I remember right. Good alternative to splicing into the wiring.

pitrack
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Not really any help now but that is why I always tell dealers or places like that, that if something that is wrong is not covered under warranty, call me first before they do the work and then charge up the ass for it. Looks like they probably charged for them to figure out what the problem was which probably added up pretty quick if it's hourly.

Edit: I have the same brand of brake controller in my truck and when I first installed it I noticed it stayed lit after I turned my truck off, come to find out it is supposed to power down 15 minutes after the truck is turned off. I would possibly call the company and see if they can offer any compensation since it obviously didn't turn off when it was supposed to.

Horsepower Lawns
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Chevy stopped putting the plugs under the dash in 07.
What control is it, they make 4 that we carry.
The 9030 one has a light that stays on anytime a trailer is plugged in, but that light is an LED & will drain your battery in about 6 months.
What one do you have?
Sounds like the dealer took your $$.
There are alot of good techs out there, but we had one here that couldn't find a blown fuse.

Valk
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Too bad they didn't assign a better mechanic to your truck. He might have saved a couple hundred bucks.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
It was the newest, best one last year... and it gets better cause the brake controler is fried so the fat end of a grand lost for this one.

Horsepower Lawns
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a Prodigy or a P3. You can fry one hooking it up wrong. I still don't know how it would drain the battery. Make sure the dealer tells you what they did & post it here.

Don't let them just say we rewired the controler. Make them tell you what wire was were & where they moved it to.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I should have done that...

wanabe
01-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I have been on a electrical hunt before and its no easy job somedays. Did you tell him you had problems after the brake box was installed? If not, it would take some time to find the drain.

cjme
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Has anyone ever heard of haulin trailers they are enclosed

4 seasons lawn&land
01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
what does that have to do with anything?

So I thought the price was way out for this work, still do, but now I think the work was a pile of crap. I went to see if I could get the fried brake box replaced today and the guys at the RV place, cool guys, were going to replace it but they tested it and the thing was fine. So the dealer was telling me the brake box was shorted out and draining the battery. The guys did a handfull of tests on it at the RV dealer and it did everything perfect!

I told them how the dealer said that it was draining 120 miliamps and they said thats not enough to run a flashlight.

PROCUT1
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
This is why customers are so scared of hiring any service to work hourly.

An expert technician who is great with electrical could find the problem in no time. A guy who is not as good would take all day.

Why does the guy who is less skilled make more money than the expert?

Its the same as hiring a guy for leaves that shows up with 10,000 in equipment and paying him hourly. He works 2 hours. Or paying a guy with a rake the same hourly rate to work all day.

GravelyGuy
01-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I've had the Prodigy P3 (if this is the one you have) for a while and it does strange things sometimes like it won't read the output to the brakes sometimes or it will show output without any braking. It always works and never drains my batt. though.

Just make sure before you call out the people that did the work.

Horsepower Lawns
01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
How long did it take to drain the battery?

An easy way to see if its the control is pull the fuse for it. Open the hood, fuse box is at drivers side fender. Open fuse box, standing by fender look at the box. The Hot wire & brake control fuse will be the far left ones. The lid will say stud 1 & stud 2 I thnk. Pull the fuse and see if the battery does down.

johnnybravo8802
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Talk about being raped-my tail is still hurting!!!!!!:cry::cry::hammerhead::hammerhead:We had to have the battery and alternator replaced on out Ford Freestar(This van is a hunk of junk) and the bill was $805.:dizzy::dizzy:The alternator alone was over $400(It was on the very front of the van). Of course the battery was over $100-they always put "Genuine Ford" parts in. These dealers are a rip!!!! Our check-engine light is on now and I'm finding someone else to look at it.

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow $600. You know you can get a good DMM and battery for $120