PDA

View Full Version : Dirt sifter

mrsops
01-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Took a few pics of my dirt sifter today, does anyone have one and if so what brand? Mine is hydraulic it was actually a winter project one of my guys did about 9 years ago lol. It works really good haven't used it thou in about year. If i was to sell this machine what would you think i would be able to get?

mrsops
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
some more pics

oakhillslandscaping
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
wow thats not bad for home made? we made one a while ago that we put my compactor on to shake it but it takes forever so we dont use it anymore but i would say you could get around 8-10K for it if it was a real good economy right now. otherwise i would say 6k if you want to sell it a lot of nurseries buy and rent the smaller size ones around here maybe they do the same down near you?idk

mrsops
01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
wow thats not bad for home made? we made one a while ago that we put my compactor on to shake it but it takes forever so we dont use it anymore but i would say you could get around 8-10K for it if it was a real good economy right now. otherwise i would say 6k if you want to sell it a lot of nurseries buy and rent the smaller size ones around here maybe they do the same down near you?idk

Yes its home made. I must say it works unbelievable i had some one offer me 12k for it 5 years ago when i used the thing every weekend.. People were amazed on how good a job he did building this. I really dont want to sell it i guess I'm just curious on how much someone would offer for it lol

DiyDave
01-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes its home made. I must say it works unbelievable i had some one offer me 12k for it 5 years ago when i used the thing every weekend.. People were amazed on how good a job he did building this. I really dont want to sell it i guess I'm just curious on how much someone would offer for it lol
Last time I saw a Thomas, of a similar size, it was around $13,500, NEW, a couple, 3-4 years ago. No offense intended, but in today's market, about 5-7grand tops.:waving:

mrsops
01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Last time I saw a Thomas, of a similar size, it was around $13,500, NEW, a couple, 3-4 years ago. No offense intended, but in today's market, about 5-7grand tops.:waving:

Yeah i figured that.. Not worth it i rather keep it and use it when i have the time

DiyDave
01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
That's what I would do, too. Now's not exactly prime time to sell equipment, and you know your machine's capabilities. Run it till someone offers you what it's worth!:waving:

Gravel Rat
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
If you don't owe anything on it keep it. I spent days sifting soil on a job it was over a 2000 yards of topsoil.

The best thing is if you can make it electric no diesel engines to create noise.

1993lx172
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
If you don't owe anything on it keep it. I spent days sifting soil on a job it was over a 2000 yards of topsoil.

The best thing is if you can make it electric no diesel engines to create noise.

If he makes it electric he may not always be in the position to have power available for it. Even if he did switch it to electric and he took it to a job that had no power supply he would have to have a generator running to power it negating the no engine less noise angle. Plus with electric power he has to worry about the elements ruining the motor and the wiring. So unless he stores it inside or weather proofs the snot out it, the money he spent converting it would be wasted due to the electrical components being damaged from the weather. Even if he threw a tarp over it, moisture would still get in and cause issues.

mrsops
01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
If he makes it electric he may not always be in the position to have power available for it. Even if he did switch it to electric and he took it to a job that had no power supply he would have to have a generator running to power it negating the no engine less noise angle. Plus with electric power he has to worry about the elements ruining the motor and the wiring. So unless he stores it inside or weather proofs the snot out it, the money he spent converting it would be wasted due to the electrical components being damaged from the weather. Even if he threw a tarp over it, moisture would still get in and cause issues.

You said that very well.. Now you know why its NOT ELECTRIC.

DirtMerchant
01-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Paint it, then use for for a few hours. You'll get loads more.

Gravel Rat
01-12-2010, 10:46 PM

The screener I was using had a small diesel on it the thing was loud and every day you had to dump 10 gallons of diesel into it and half a gallon jug of oil.

1993lx172
01-13-2010, 01:17 AM
The screener I was using had a small diesel on it the thing was loud and every day you had to dump 10 gallons of diesel into it and half a gallon jug of oil.

Not all screeners are created equal.:rolleyes:

curtisfarmer
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I say $5-6K....they are expensive new, but the market up here is flooded with them. You can get a Reid 90 for under $20K. I bet that thing made you some money over the years. I pay about $300+ per day for a machine that size.

CAT powered
01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Screen w/drum out
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww31/73_Rocket/Toys005v2.jpg
Action shot of the drum.
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww31/73_Rocket/Picture038.jpg

McCloskey 512r screen. I've seen it do 40yds an hour when fed relatively clean, dry material.

mrsops
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I say $5-6K....they are expensive new, but the market up here is flooded with them. You can get a Reid 90 for under $20K. I bet that thing made you some money over the years. I pay about $300+ per day for a machine that size.

Its made a ton of money