PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy 21"

flatlander42
01-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I just found this lookin at their site...

What do all of you people have to say about it?

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/swivel-wheel-push-mower

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/fixed-wheel-push-mower

LawnboyTim
01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Looks like a ok mower, to me it looks similar to the snappers with the fixed wheel deck.. http://www.snapper.com/products/walk-behind-lawn-mower/se-series/SPV21675/

Bunton Guy
01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
That's the same "private labeled" mower that nearly a half dozen companies run with their logos on. Just off the top of my head MTD,Husqvarna,snapper, bolens & badboy

flatlander42
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
That's the same "private labeled" mower that nearly a half dozen companies run with their logos on. Just off the top of my head MTD,Husqvarna,snapper, bolens & badboy

That is kinda what I was thinking....BUT, the caster wheel one seems to be a lower price than most other caster wheel mowers. Also, does it have higher hp, and mph than the others? Either way I was supprised that they entered the 21" market too.

MJB
01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I would by one of them if they had a mulch plug option. I only use it once or twice a week. My Honda HRX is tired and doesn't cut that great, and the price of these is right for a walk behind. Most of my walkbehinds get beat up from riding on a trailer with 3 ztr's long before being overused.
So you guys think Bad Boy is just slapping their name on it, or are they building it??

Mowingman
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
" Commercial grade"???? What a joke that is.
Cheap engine, possibly a Chinese "Honda clone", cheap plastic wheels, cheap flimsy front swivel assy., cheap flimsy handle lacking in reinforcement.
This is an upscale homeowner machine at the best. Probably not as good as the Ariens classic 21".
Who is Bad Boy trying to fool with this so so mower/ rofessional LCO's are not going to fall for this.
Bad Boy has just taken a big step down, instead of up, in my opinion.

Mowingman
01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh, on the fixed wheel, cheap flimsy height adjuster, and on both models, cheap flimsy controls.

mjschue
01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Mowingman has obviousy naver seen one in person. If Briggs is the cheap chinese engine he is speaking about. They could have changed as I only saw a prototype. The ones I saw had a 7.5 hp Briggs and wheels with bearings. Not sure about the mulch plug, paid no attention as I hate to waste the fuel to mulch my lawns.

Mowingman
01-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't have to see this specific machine in person. It is just about like several others in different paint, and they all are NOT commercial duty.
And yes, if it is a Briggs, those Briggs engines are cheapo.
The only real commercial duty 21" mowers currently available, that I can think of, are Toro, Exmark, Snapper, Honda, and maybe the Hustler. This junker is not in their league at all.

MJB
01-13-2010, 02:20 AM
I don't have to see this specific machine in person. It is just about like several others in different paint, and they all are NOT commercial duty.
And yes, if it is a Briggs, those Briggs engines are cheapo.
The only real commercial duty 21" mowers currently available, that I can think of, are Toro, Exmark, Snapper, Honda, and maybe the Hustler. This junker is not in their league at all.

I really could care less about it being commercial it's just s walk behind I have found the cheap ones cut about the same or better than many comercial walk behinds, true they won't last but who cares at that price I'll buy 2. Now zero turns are different I want a quality built machine because I cut big lawns.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I would by one of them if they had a mulch plug option. I only use it once or twice a week. My Honda HRX is tired and doesn't cut that great, and the price of these is right for a walk behind. Most of my walkbehinds get beat up from riding on a trailer with 3 ztr's long before being overused.
So you guys think Bad Boy is just slapping their name on it, or are they building it??

All NEW HRX's have a 5 year warranty!

greenerman
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
All NEW HRX's have a 5 year warranty!

I believe still 3 mos. commercial warranty though.

lawnjockey56
01-13-2010, 08:18 PM

add john deere

TheOctagon
01-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Add ariens to the list too. I dont understand how he thinks snapper is commercial quality and this badboy isnt? They are the same mower w/ minor differences. Both built by one in the same company.

Mowingman
01-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Snapper does make a commercial quality mower, and it is not anything like the one that Bad boy is selling. You have to look at the snapperpro website to find it.

Add ariens to the list too. I dont understand how he thinks snapper is commercial quality and this badboy isnt? They are the same mower w/ minor differences. Both built by one in the same company.

Razorblades
01-15-2010, 12:09 AM
They're not well known, but you could probably add the Eastman 21" mowers to the list of well built commercial mowers.

retrodog
01-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I thought they were pretty cool, not everyday you see a 7.5hp engine on a push mower (heck we have an old snapper rider that has the same engine on it out in the barn from years ago....lol). I think I am going to order some and give them with the purchase of a new commercial zero turn for a spring promotion. What do you guys think? My snapper commercial that I use looks almost identical to the BB design.....hmmmmm I wonder.....lol.

outrunjason
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Nothing beats a commercial mower hands down. I don't even use a homeowner mower as a back up mower. I will just call off the whole day.

Bad Boy's mower looks just like the snappers. Also if it has plastic wheels that is a straight up dead no way.

Going over rocks, up stairs, over curbs and sometimes the unloading the mower off the back of your pickup by yourself and you must sorda drop it off. Those wheels would just break. Oh and the hitting the fence. My guys do that all the time.

MOHUSTLER
01-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Its an MTD

Mowingman
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
MTD = Made To Disintegrate

Alan0354
01-19-2010, 04:16 AM
How about Husqvarna 7021? They are at $329 or so range. I saw a FWD with Kohler XT-7 engine and RWD with Honda GCV160 engine. deck look thicker than Craftsman/Troybilt/MTD craps. They all have ball bearing wheels.

No mistake, it is a home owner model. But sure look pretty good for the money.

bamamike
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Most of you guys are right. Like what 90% of other companies do, it is a private label with bad boy's name on it and Briggs engine. Most are all the same. There’s just not enough profit in those mowers unless you get a contract with a large retail like home depot. People were asking for a complete line, bad boy listened, and now have them to offer. Their plans are to eventually build them in house

They are stout, effective and good for the money... I've played with them.

retrodog
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Nobody thinks it would be a good idea to offer the new push mower free with the purchase of a new mower as a spring promo for us? I thought it would be good, but maybe I am wrong.

flatlander42
01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Hell, the guys buying bad-boy ztr's are allready getting a good deal! The push mowers will pry draw a crowd on their own. I think they will anyways.

mowerdude777
01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
IMO that looks like a deere and a snapper 21 combined

Grass Shark
01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
They're not well known, but you could probably add the Eastman 21" mowers to the list of well built commercial mowers.

These look pretty good! http://www.hovermower.com/st21k.htm

horsequick
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
How the hell anyone can comment on a mower that haven't even seen in person is beyond my comprehension. I saw one yesterday and it looked like a great mower for $399. I'm going to get one this weekend to add to my collection. I really don't have to have another 21" but for $399 (fixed wheel) i figured what the hell. It might be a briggs but it's 7.5 HP, it DOES have a spin-on oil filter, and it has a 1 gallon fuel tank. And at 105 lbs with lightweight plastic wheels I'd say it's a pretty heavy machine.
Anyway....I'll post my real world thoughts on it after I have a chance to use it.

Hawg City Lawns
03-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I really could care less about it being commercial it's just s walk behind I have found the cheap ones cut about the same or better than many comercial walk behinds, true they won't last but who cares at that price I'll buy 2. Now zero turns are different I want a quality built machine because I cut big lawns.

i am the same way

smcdowell47
03-31-2010, 10:28 PM
horsequick....have you had a chance to try the badbay 21" out yet? Just curious as what you thought. I stopped by a dealer today to take a look and was curious because I was thinking of getting one myself. Please let us know what you think about it when you can

horsequick
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I did use it. I like the engine but I was a little ticked off walking into Walmart and seeing the same mower. It appears to be the Brute mower sold by Walmart with a better engine. One thing is for sure.....its REALLY fast. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
04-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, I guess I was right in my previous posts. Just another piece of junk rebadged as a Badboy.
I knew it, as soon as I saw the photos.

horsequick
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong. Yeah, you hit it right on the nose. I think they should've waited till they could build their own mower. I do like the engine but to me the engine has never been the major factor. I didnt even need this mower because I have a snapper and honda that I use as trim mowers. Was a bad choice but is an EXCELLENT present that I'm giving to my sister for her yard. :)

txjoe
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
That is the difference...SOME of us want quality even if we are just buying a walk-behind mower. I have learned to stop wasting my money on snapper or husqvarna or murray and to buy commercial so that I can get at least a couple of years out of them. Briggs motors on most of these mowers have a running life of 100 running hours. I bought one a few years back that threw a rod after 6 months and the replacement motor lost compresstion after 9 months. Commercial may cost more but I prefer having less problems with my walk-behinds than wondering if each day it will start or I will have to take them to the shop.

outrunjason
04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't buy any mower that didn't have steel wheels. Plastic is crap. My guys would rip a front wheel off in the first few lawns.

jtricer1973
04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I saw a Cub Cadet in Tractor Supply that looked identical except fot the color and labels.

85mm/1.4
08-10-2010, 02:11 AM
I purchased this mower today at TSC on clearance for $299. Filled it up with oil and gas, no priming or whatever, started on first pull. The gas tank is only 1 QUART, not 1 GALLON. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it's on clearance. The claimed gas tank capacity is what drew my interest in the mower. I'll try it out tomorrow to see what the cut is like.