PDA

View Full Version : striping kit should be standard on ztrs.

The Rookie
01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
How many on this forum think that striping kits should be standard equipment on all commercial ztrs including stand ons. We pay top dollar for our machines and I feel this is one little bell and whistle that should be standard. Finally, If the operator wants farmer mow, or race track mow he can easily remove it. I am tired of building custom stripers out of chains and flaps because I cant find a roller that will fit or am not patient enough to search high and low for one.
:hammerhead::dizzy::sleeping:

JimQ
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll say that every manufacturer who is serious about being in the commercial turf care industry should offer one as an accessory but there are a lot more machines out there running without striping kits than there are with.

Not to mention, a lot of Southern grass types don't stripe like our Northern stuff does

Q

JB1
01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
we can stripe just as good without one. overrated.

topsites
01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I would essentially agree except certain parts on a striping kit wear out within 1-2 seasons requiring replacement,
I can just see how that wouldn't sit well with many an owner to have this choice taken away in favor of adding
yet another (and at least somewhat) needless expense.

macaw
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
My scag's strip just fine without any kits

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 09:23 AM
In my years here at Lawnsite I've heard countless people say they don't need a striper. Their mower does just fine and they don't need a striper. But... I can't remember ever hearing one single person say that they had one and ditched it because it didn't improve their stripes. I'm sure someone has but they're few and far between.

Stripers should be optional. There are plenty of companies out there that build universal stripers if your mower manufacturer doesn't offer one. I got mine from www.bigleaguelawns.com

The huge majority of lawn mowers never get a striper and the owner sees no need for one. I can very well assure you, I am one of the rare guys in my area with a striper. Even other LCOs are always asking me what that roller on the back of my mower is for.

mdlwn1
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
we can stripe just as good without one. overrated.

This

Additionally to the OP. As your screen name implies...you have much to learn. Not knockin ya...just callin a spade a spade..

MarcSmith
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Id rather see the suspension seat on a ZTR as a standard item...

Stripes don't help the grass grow any better, they don't help the quality of cut...just one more fixture or pivot point to grease, one more thing to get hung op on a curb, trailer gate, ect...

Think about your customers. if you told them you were were going to add $1 to their weekly bill so you could stripe it, how many would find a new landscaper... If scag told me they were upping their price $200 bucks for a striper....I'll spend my money elsewhere. now if they wanted to include a stripper, that may peak my interest...

JB1
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
This

Additionally to the OP. As your screen name implies...you have much to learn. Not knockin ya...just callin a spade a spade..

really don't think you know.

mdlwn1
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
really don't think you know.

Huh? Reading comprehension slow this morning? I agreed with you...then directed the other comment to the OP...which isnt you.

JB1
01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Huh? Reading comprehension slow this morning? I agreed with you...then directed the other comment to the OP...which isnt you.

hey the furnace aint workin this morning and its colder than hell this mornin n here.

grassaholic
01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't see any reason for a striper. I've been stripeing lawns for 16 yrs. with countless different commercial mowers and never needed a stripeing kit. Some mowers striped better than others but in the end I could stripe a lawn with any of them.:drinkup:

The Rookie
01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Suspension seat, hey that a better idea.
Striping kit lays grass over farther=more vivid stripe than without kit,
If you pattern mow biweekly it looks better for longer if a kit is used.
Mowers with stripers mow better than mowers without stripers as long a good operator
is mowing.
I feel most people who buy zero turns are eventually going to stripe, when they break striper and have to take it off they will realized they liked it better with it on.

MarcSmith
01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
all the striper does is lay the grass down AFTER its been cut. it has no bearing on how well a machine cuts. Now if you like stripes a striping kit will enchance the way the stripes look. buts thats about it..

if you are cutting biweekly (every two weeks) then you are doing your grass a disservice as you are cutting too much grass off at each cut(unless its the dormant season) which results in undo stress to the lawn.

The Rookie
01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I cut how my customers want it. I don't stripe is they don't like it. But I have tried not striping customers yards after striping, when buying a new mower, and they asked me to go back to striping. Ill mow every two weeks if thats what they want. If I refuse to they will pay someone else. I mow grass for a living and all I care about is customer satisfaction.

Landscape Poet
01-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Id rather see the suspension seat on a ZTR as a standard item..
Being in the south were the grass does not stripe, at least very well if it does at all, I have to agree with this. I do not want to pay for the additional cost, however I think most would enjoy the suspension more.

MarcSmith
01-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Being in the south were the grass does not stripe, at least very well if it does at all, I have to agree with this. I do not want to pay for the additional cost, however I think most would enjoy the suspension more.

my first lazer I got it.... it was the best thing ever....I had driven and used ztrs with out it and after demoing one with it for a week. I knew Id never go back. and that was in orlando...St augustine is pretty soft and forgiving, but nothing beats the suspension seat...

rookie: I know what your saying, but none of my clients were twice a month. or per cut deals all yearly contracts. do what works for ya...
Even now my bosses could care less if the grass is striped. Now that doesn't mean my guys don't make it look good...

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Ill mow every two weeks if thats what they want. If I refuse to they will pay someone else. I mow grass for a living and all I care about is customer satisfaction.

The words of wisdom that we all live by. Whether we like it or not. :clapping:

integrityman
01-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with the OP. A stripe kit should be standard. Further, disabling it should be a simple as lifting it up and locking it in place. All of my customers love stripes and so do I. IMO a beautifully striped lawn adds to your credibility as a professional.

The Rookie
01-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Thank you integrity man, I feel the same way you do. Although I like the suspension seat idea too. But that is an apples to oranges comparison.

MarcSmith
01-14-2010, 10:21 AM
But that is an apples to oranges comparison.One makes the grass look pretty, the other keeps your employee comfortable and productive for those long days in the saddle..

some grasses just wont take a stripe no matter what you do...

It would be like forcing all cars to have block heaters, even the ones sold in florida.

dishboy
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with the OP. A stripe kit should be standard. Further, disabling it should be a simple as lifting it up and locking it in place. All of my customers love stripes and so do I. IMO a beautifully striped lawn adds to your credibility as a professional.

I disagree Most LCO's like stripes because they are camouflaging a lousy cut or large tire tracks of grass laying down from their 1300 lbs of overweight mower and operator. IMO a lawn that is cut clean, level and shows no evidence of the mower is more professional. A lawn where all the cut grass is standing up a day after the cut and no tire tracks remain. After all , we are cutting grass, not making crop circles/designs. If the lawn need to be striped to enhance the aesthetics of the landscape I woulds suggest the landscaper ought to be fired.

mcw615
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Maintaining a sharp blade and not mowing like its a race track the mower will stripe perfectly fine. I have about a 100 more pictures that are a lot better then this, but internet is very slow right now, not going to sit all day to upload a few more, but this one is sufficient.

Richard Martin
01-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Maintaining a sharp blade and not mowing like its a race track the mower will stripe perfectly fine. I have about a 100 more pictures that are a lot better then this, but internet is very slow right now, not going to sit all day to upload a few more, but this one is sufficient.

Yes, but they could be better. You can still clearly see where the tires tracked. Imagine making those tracks almost completely disappear. That's what a heavy trailing roller will do. I mean if we're going to do it, spend a couple of hundered bucks and do it better.

mcw615
01-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes, but they could be better. You can still clearly see where the tires tracked. Imagine making those tracks almost completely disappear. That's what a heavy trailing roller will do. I mean if we're going to do it, spend a couple of hundered bucks and do it better.

I bought a striping kit and put it on one of our ZTR's to see how I liked the performance. It worked really well on SOME accounts. Other accounts it created solid green and solid white strips eliminating the darker tire stripes, but in my personal preference I prefer the tire tracks versus the complete solids. The other thing is our nice accounts with great fescue turf gets cut at about 3.5"-3.75", in order for the striper to make a difference it has to be set pretty low, but on other accounts that get cut 2.5-3.00 the deck won't lower all the way and/or it is a real rough ride

Landscape Poet
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I agree with the OP. All of my customers love stripes and so do I. IMO a beautifully striped lawn adds to your credibility as a professional.

See down here you get your credibility from the detailed edging and line trimming and of course reliability. The St. Augustine simply does not stripe, well it will, if you are cutting it too short, but even then it is just short lived. It is not like the northern turf I grew up with that you would be able to see the previous weeks stripes when you show up to cut.
Most of our customers, unless from up north, do not even know that turf can have this done. I was thinking about buying a kit for my Hustler just because the cost was not that much to try it out down here but I know if I could even lay the faintest stripe it would just be for me, not the customer.

dishboy
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM

You mean to say LCO's use striping kits to hide nasty wheel tracks?

Pennington Lawncare
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Here's my 2 cents on this subject. I agree that a striping kit should be standard on commercial zero turn mowers and not for the reasons you may think. The reason is because it would be in the manufacturer's best interest to offer this feature as standard equipment.

The manufacturer makes the mowers to sell and they are mainly sold to commercial lawn care operators and these buyers buy these expensive mowers for a number of reasons and durability, quality cut, and cost are usually the main factors in why a certain model is purchased.

It would appear that the majority of operators think that how well a mower stripes is a big selling point and some mowers don't stripe worth a flip and others stripe pretty well without a striping kit. I don't know if this is completely due to the amount of suction created by some decks or exactly what the differences are in mower decks that allow some mowers to stripe very well without a kit.

My Bob-Cat Predator Pro does not stripe very well without a kit and I wish it did but, since it doesn't then buying a striping kit for it is what I intend to do. I have seen older Bob-Cat models that stripe well without a kit and I don't know what the difference is or whether it's because their deck is pitched lower in the rear. It requires less power to have the deck pitched lower in the front though so I want the engine to only be in as much strain that is required and I'll get a striping kit to make it stripe as good as it can.

I know that around here Scag's and John Deere's stripe fairly well without a striping kit and leave a great stripe when they have a kit installed. My mower leaves a super clean cut but, it just doesn't stripe. Most home owners don't care if a mower stripes or not but, the people who buy them do unless the members of lawnsite are not like every other LCO who has never became a member here. So it would seem that if the manufacturers wanted to sell more mowers they should try to make their mowers leave a better stripe. That would be a key selling point with most of the regulars who post on this site.

PS. It does not cost the mower manufacturers much money at all to make a striping kit compared to how much they try to charge us for them so it wouldn't tack on much more money to the price of their mower and most of the mowers on the market are extremely over priced.

Richard Martin
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
The other thing is our nice accounts with great fescue turf gets cut at about 3.5"-3.75", in order for the striper to make a difference it has to be set pretty low, but on other accounts that get cut 2.5-3.00 the deck won't lower all the way and/or it is a real rough ride

That's why I specifically said "heavy trailing roller". They are the best type of striper since they are always on the turf regardless of height of deck. An example is this roller from www.bigleaguelawns.com

http://www.bigleaguelawns.com/Keystone%20JDBagger.gif

jbell36
01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
wow, there are a few very stupid responses on this thread...to the original poster, i agree with you 100% on making a striping kit standard on a $8000 machine...

1. Location: if you are in a location to where the kit does not benefit you then simply take it off...

2. Striping: a kit enhances the stripe, plain and simple...it doesn't matter if your mower does well without a kit, a kit will make it even better...and usually height has a lot to do with it, 3.5" - 4" or so, depending on the type of grass...

3. Quality of cut: sharpen the blades, this shouldn't be an issue...and no, striping doesn't "hide" a bad quality of cut, that was just a stupid response for whoever said that, you can still see a bad cut if it is striped?

4. Professional: when someone calls a professional to come mow their lawn they are expecting a professional look...striping sets apart a professional from all the rest...

Yater
01-14-2010, 08:03 PM
There's no need for a striper around here.

topsites
01-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Stripes don't help the grass grow any better, they don't help the quality of cut...just one more fixture or pivot point to grease, one more thing to get hung op on a curb, trailer gate, ect...

You said it, I find few folks speak the truth about that and I also find it's much harder on the grass itself,
it may look nice for those who can appreciate it but it sure doesn't benefit the turf.
Matter of fact it is HARD on a lawn, way harder than not striping.

Oh, key words: For those who can appreciate it. :p

That's all fine and dandy but the same mower I paid $3000 for just 5 years ago is now almost 4 thousand!
Although in ways I can see your point, they can tack on that striping kit since either way I'm not paying that kind of money.

anotherturfgeek
01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
My scag's strip just fine without any kits

ditto-ditto-ditto:dancing:

Roger
01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
For all those wanting a striping kit as standard, will you post in the next thread "Why do commercial mowers cost so much money?"? Will you explain that the cost should even be a bit higher because the manufacturer should add another feature to the mower, a feature that many users do not want on their machines?

Optional accessory, yes. Standard equipment, no.

I would never use one, and would not take delivery of a machine with a striping kit. I used to use an Exmark, and it made pretty good stripes on some lawns. I never made a point to do anything special. If the stripe existed, so be it. If not, so be it. No customer ever expressed satisfaction about having a stripe, or objection if one was left when I was done. Three seasons ago, I bought a John Deere ZTR, 48" machine, 7 Iron II deck. It puts down very little stripe. But, it leaves a smooth cut, better than my Exmark. Soon after I made the switch, many customers said "I really like the job your new mower does, better than your old one." Without further explanation, their comments made it obvious to me, a smoother cut was more important to them than stripes.

Oh yes, I would like a better seat on the ZTR too!

sdk1959
01-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Without further explanation, their comments made it obvious to me, a smoother cut was more important to them than stripes.

I agree 100%. Just look at the fairways at MOST golf courses, do you see stripes? No. See picture below. Striping is way overrated, dependable service, attention to detail, excellent trimming, good people skills is what keeps customers.Thumbs Up Besides, this wasn't mentioned, most grasses won't stripe at all if cut less than 3".

GreenmanCT
01-15-2010, 01:31 AM
I agree 100%. Just look at the fairways at MOST golf courses, do you see stripes? No. See picture below. Striping is way overrated, dependable service, attention to detail, excellent trimming, good people skills is what keeps customers.Thumbs Up Besides, this wasn't mentioned, most grasses won't stripe at all if cut less than 3".

That course looks like crap. And most golf courses stripe their fairways, its what makes the course stand out. watch the golf channel.

MarcSmith
01-15-2010, 07:45 AM
you have to remember that on golf course (in the fairway)they use reel mowers and the reel is usually mounted on a a solid roller so it follows the contours of the ground. and won't scalp. the Golf courses don't go out of their way to stripe, but their mowers by design leave it behind. and remember that grasses like bent or fescue or rye on a golf course will leave a stripe better than bermuda.

jbell36
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

i'm really not trying to start an argument or rub anyone the wrong way but this is another stupid post...fairways are best known for striping!...i also did mention that to get a good stripe, at least in fescue, you usually need about 3.5" - 4"...however, like the previous post states, fairways are cut using a reel mower therefore they are cut much shorter and still able to leave a stripe...i don't know if i've ever seen a golfcourse that wasn't striped

now what you mentioned about dependable service, attention to detail, excellent trimming, and good people skills i agree with, but that should come along with any professional lawn business...

mdlwn1
01-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I think most guys over focus on stripes because they only see the grass in a landscape...not the grass as a canvas or backdrop for the entire area.

sdk1959
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
That course looks like crap. And most golf courses stripe their fairways, its what makes the course stand out. watch the golf channel.

I beg to differ..........

See pictures below.

And here's a poll for lawnsite members.

Has anyone lost a account solely because they did not stripe or not well enough for the customer?

hornett22
01-17-2010, 12:20 AM
i never needed a striping kit.

some customers do not like their yard striped

GreenmanCT
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I beg to differ..........

See pictures below.

And here's a poll for lawnsite members.

Has anyone lost a account solely because they did not stripe or not well enough for the customer?

is that all the same course?

Greenery
01-17-2010, 12:36 PM
I've only seen one guy around here using a striping kit. I just chuckle when I see him he probably reads these forums way to much. In my opinion I would never run a striped on our northern grasses they stripe just fine on their own. In fact I would think laying all the grass over is going to be detrimental to the turf. Go and rake some of it the opposite way you've striped it and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's all going to be matted down and look like **** in the long run.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Striping kits are for the noobaloobs in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
is that all the same course?

Yeah.......right......they're all pictures of the same golf course, mountains appear and disappear on the same golf course......:laugh:

GreenmanCT
01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah.......right......they're all pictures of the same golf course, mountains appear and disappear on the same golf course......:laugh: well I said the course looked like crap. and u said u beg to differ. I thought u would logically show other pics of that course to show it wasn't crap. obvously I figured out that the mountains and different trees weren't in your neck of the woods.

In my area the upscale courses use bent grass on the fairways and bent grass fairways have the best striping IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
01-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I would have to say (like others) that most southern grasses do not stripe well. Bermuda is the worst. Meyer zoysia and centipede stripe fair. The very nature of grasses with rhizomes/stolens for roots vs. a grass like fescue is night and day when it comes to striping. I would like to see stipe kits standard, sure. Just remember, it won't work well on everything.

KathysLGC
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
They improve your stripes no matter what but the best thing is the ones that mount on the back of the deck at as a long anti scalp roller.