PDA

View Full Version : Old NewEngland Granite

Granite King
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi Hardscapers,

Granite King here. Have been off this site for a while....busy building antique granite walls. Have many projects to share with you. The one I am going to show you today is our latest. It is a double sided antique granite wall in front of a period home dating 1860. This double sided wall was built out of old antique granite material with no cement. We provided all the material from our granite farm which is oldnewenglandgranite.com or thereedcorp.com my parent company. Feel free to comment or any questions please reply.

Enjoy and will be back with other projects from 2009.

Granite King:swedishflag:

Lite4
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I love the granite, that is beautiful! I am a little surprised that there aren't any tie stones across the top of the wall to 'knit' the 2 sides together. Just seems like you could get some movement on the wall over time and the little stones in the center could drop in and settle as the wall shifts. Beautiful looking stone though, I would love to do a project with some of that product.

Granite King
01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply back. The pictures don't show everything about the wall but there are "knit" granite crossings in places but we have secrets to keep wall together. As far as the top stones which are cobblestones they won't move because the lower stone granite is back to back from each other so the cobbles are on the lower granite for stability.

Thanks for your comments.

Graniteman

crab
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
hi mark you and biz just sent me a load ,looks good ,stop hogging all the best for youre self!let me know if you need a tender.

GrazerZ
01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Wall looks nice. My first though was the same about the top row. I do like to see stones front to back on top to add continuity to the look of the wall. With that said looks great. I have been collecting granite myself. just started though.

Granite King
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Crab,

Thanks for the reply. I hear what you are saying about the top. This was the first time we did a double sided wall like this but next time we will add cross pieces to break up the top. Alot of the block we split in 2 to double our product for the wall. Actually we hate to use any real choice pieces. We like to save for the customers like you.

Hope all is well with you.
Have some great new products at the granite farm especially hitching posts and step material from an old mill.

Granite King
"Mark"

Granite King
01-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi Crab,

Foot note we did cross pieces down below and the wall granite is back to back tight for setting in cobblestones at the top.

Granite King

Ground Effects NH
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Crab,

Foot note we did cross pieces down below and the wall granite is back to back tight for setting in cobblestones at the top.

Granite King

Mark
Good to see you posting again. Please keep the photos coming.
The other Swed :swedishflag:

4Russl5
01-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Is this a 'Sweedish' style of walling? Are you self taught? The check end looks funky... like it will fail. Why do you call your material 'antique granite'? Are the stones from foundations of old buildings or other walls in New England? I put 'through stones' in every 36" in wall length at 18" in height. Educate me more on the structural aspects of your wall. Nice stone.

Granite King
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
What type of granite do you have in your neck of the woods?

Granite King

Granite King
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Firefly Pro. Lighting,

You can build with this old granite. Very unique and stackable. We have a mt of it and ship coast to coast.

Granite King

Granite King
01-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Thank you Ground Effects. Have you been doing much this time of the year?

Granite King

Granite King
01-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi 4Russl5,

Thanks for your reply. It is not a swedish style wall. I just happen to be swedish. Have been building granite walls for over 10 years. I am self taught. We build bigger than this though. The wall I showed is more decorative. The check ends will not fail because all the block and curb pieces are stacked on top of each other for support and chinked with wedge stones as well to lock in place. We call the antique because most of the granite we work with is 50 -100 years old. We consider 25 year plus "antique". New England was the capital of the country when it came to quarrying granite. Besides builders we are reclaimers of the material as well and stock pile everything from old mill granite steps to curbing to historical museum granite steps to 100 year old cobblestones which is in the wall too, granite bridge block, hitching posts as well. We have granite farm for all hardscapers and architects to come visit. We ship this material all over. It is wonderful old material that works for period homes that want the old look. Back to the double sided wall. We feather and wedged (split) the old way.... 100 year old granite bridge in half to make 2 face pieces. That gives us more stone and we can run stone back to back for the base. So the middle of the wall is granite and stackable and then we mix in our 50 year old slope curb and cobblestones for a mosiac look. We use Pennsylvania wedge stone to even up the stone in the back and lock wedge stone in between so granite won't move. You want the granite to have a little batter to it so it looks consistent looking down the edge of it.

Granite King

4 seasons lawn&land
01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Thats a solid wall. Not going anywhere!

Dont sell it all! It's going to be a couple years before I can open my landscape/garden center. Do you deliver to western MA??

Granite King
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Hello Hardscapers,

Here is another old granite retaining wall from old granite done in 2009 with a planter we made into the wall in the back corner.

Granite King:swedishflag:

Granite King
01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
We deliver anywhere. They don't make this material anymore. Better hurry up before I use it all in walls. Just kidding. We can always find. We have granite farm with much old granite.

Granite King

Granite King
01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Anyone interested in seeing more walls and old granite uses? Hate to show off like this but love old granite and the work we do with it.

Granite King

4 seasons lawn&land
01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
read post 14

4Russl5
01-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Glacial erratics, and other quarried from the mountains. 100 miles north there is a fine supply, but it is in Squamish B.C. We have quite a range of stones here at quarries that are available: olivine, a schist, sandstone ( but is too weak to build with), a popcorn limestone, basalts, and andacite. Then of course we have access to all other palletized stones that are quarried, trucked, and sell for $300 plus a ton. I don't work much with granite, but I do like feather & wedges. I like seeing the hand of man present on the stone. Between how the stone is worked, and the style, tells a story about the mason... so to speak.

I'll keep an eye out for your product at local suppliers here.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
what does the schist look like? You can still do walks and patios with it right?? There is alot of schist of a certain type in New England for all types of dry masonry.

4Russl5
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
It splits easily along the bed plane. Ours is green. Sometimes it looks like petrified wood. The quarry with the green stone closed last year. It was great because you could course super easy with it.

Granite King
01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi 4Russl5,

We love feather and wedges. Here is an example of taking what we call old barn foundation granite and splitting them into posts for furture projects.

Granite King

Granite King
01-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Our NewEngland quarried granite varies in color. Knowing the color helps tell us which major quarry it came from at the turn of the century. There is blue, blue-green, pink and grey.

Granite King

Granite King
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
noted!

Granite King

4 seasons lawn&land
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
hey, can you explain to me the tooling and processing in doing those posts. I would really like to know how to do that!