PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat Tool Cat

GreenLightLawnCareInc
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
So I am thinking about buying a Tool Cat 5600T this spring. It would be used for loading mulch, running a brushcat, and some spraying....snow removal...ect I just wondered if anyone out there had one, and maybe some pros and cons.

YellowDogSVC
01-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a toolcat turbo. It's a cool machine. It is a bit slow for loading materials and you can't dump very high but with a farm grapple or 4 n 1 bucket it does pretty good. I use mine mostly for loading and unloading bobcat attachments off my flatbed and for post holes and carrying large hay bales. I have used it extensively with the brushcat. I do not like it because it makes the whole thing LONG or at least it feels that way. I think it would work better with a flail. I have an older brushcat and the new model might work better, though. Spraying would be good. It can handle a fairly heavy tank in the back and it is fun to drive. Can't help you on the snow removal. I live in S. Texas!

salopez
01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
they rock for snow removal...we have plow, broom, scraper, pusher, spreader, and blower for ours.

the only downside to the new machines is they have a flat bottom and get stuck really easy.

i agree with the bushhog statement that the machine is really long. I would love to try out a flail. the auger also works great. again the don't lift very high, we use an ejector bucket or 4n1 to get a little higher.

GreenLightLawnCareInc
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I guess what I am trying to do is make one money do 2 jobs....The other option was to buy a S205, and a Kubota RTV900. My main concern was that he Toolcat was much heavier than the Kubota for utility work. Guess it all depends on how work goes this year!

GreenLightLawnCareInc
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I have a toolcat turbo. It's a cool machine. It is a bit slow for loading materials and you can't dump very high but with a farm grapple or 4 n 1 bucket it does pretty good. I use mine mostly for loading and unloading bobcat attachments off my flatbed and for post holes and carrying large hay bales. I have used it extensively with the brushcat. I do not like it because it makes the whole thing LONG or at least it feels that way. I think it would work better with a flail. I have an older brushcat and the new model might work better, though. Spraying would be good. It can handle a fairly heavy tank in the back and it is fun to drive. Can't help you on the snow removal. I live in S. Texas!

What kind of fuel usage do you see with your toolcat?

Craaaig
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
i don't know the specific problems but the company i work for as well as the school i go too both had a handful of them and they were always breaking down so they got rid of them

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
What kind of fuel usage do you see with your toolcat?

very good unless I'm running high flow. I only use high flow for auger, though. I did use it on brushcat but it mows okay without.

I think the 56 hp motor is a good, reliable motor and you will be happy with fuel usage. You can always carry a jerry can in the back!

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
i don't know the specific problems but the company i work for as well as the school i go too both had a handful of them and they were always breaking down so they got rid of them

what year? What did they use them for?

GreenLightLawnCareInc
01-13-2010, 03:18 PM

That's interesting....so far the people that I have talked to say no problems....anyone else out there have problems?

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
That's interesting....so far the people that I have talked to say no problems....anyone else out there have problems?

I had a spring/shock go bad and busted a hydraulic line in a tough spot. Other than that, no problems yet...knock on wood! :) I have a late '05 B series. Hoping the drive motors problems were fixed by then. My machine was one of the last ones built before C series production and I have about 600 hours.
The only two complaints I have for toolcat for what I use it for is lack of traction and rough ride. I hear the new D series is a better ride.

Craaaig
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
i don't know the exact years on them, but both of them were using them mainly for snow removal

BrandonV
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
we were constantly replacing the front spring/shock when we used it to load trees. we don't carry anything heavier than a pallet of plants now. don't plan to dig with it, pick up heavy things or anything like that. I doesn't lift high enough to load anything like a dump truck, you might order one of those high dump buckets though.... that might get it done.

shooterm
07-22-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm just updating this because I've been doing alittle research on them. I ran another "utility" truck like these called a SEE tractor in the military. It was a UNIMOG with a backhoe/mechanic layout on the back. The bucket on the front was worthless due to suspension ride. The back was worthless due to six different contractors interlocking equipment in a snarled mess. I think these could work as a work cart and snowplow due to it suspension front. I would never consider that loader arm in front as anything other then luxury item, think just snowplow/put a toolbox in it.

This is old tech that came after WW2. They never caught on due to the unimog trying to shove stupid items on it like moldboard plows,booms,backhoes....etc. People bought these(US GOV) and assumed it was a jack of all trades and beat that crap out of them. Bobcat needs to do alittle research on this older product and learn from it. They are allowing to many attachments for this machine and soon this machine will get a bad rap. Platform for simple estate management, thats more fuel efficient then 1/2 ton truck, and can carry atleast 1/2 ton.

ksss
07-22-2010, 12:11 PM

There have been some threads on HEF about them. Apparently drive motors are an issue, an expensive issue. They sure look cool.

city_worker
03-23-2012, 12:53 PM
We have 5 of these in our fleet and the main issues are with the steering and hydraulics. The hydraulic pumps/motors are constantly letting go and need replacing and the costs are not cheap. As for the steering seems they like to have tie rods replaced allot. The rest of the machine seems to hold up pretty good. Even using bio fuel in them we have no issues. The problem is getting the parts in. The unit sits longer than it is outworking..at least it seems that way. Hope this helps in your decisions with this model. Ours are 2008 models

BrandonV
03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
when we had one we went through the front springs/shocks like crazy it got stupid expensive

AEL
03-24-2012, 01:21 PM
They are great machines, but I would not consider one a replacement for a skid steer.
Posted via Mobile Device

tailboardtech
03-24-2012, 05:55 PM
They are great machines, but I would not consider one a replacement for a skid steer.
Posted via Mobile Device

this^ especially since the only thing you can load is a 1 ton dump truck

AEL
03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
And even that is a struggle. I don't think one would load a 14 yard box
Posted via Mobile Device

EA Quinn
03-25-2012, 11:59 AM
We have a 2011 toolcat with 360 hrs on it. We just blew a wheel motor on it which we are not happy about at all. Bobcat did pick up the bill, but at 300 hrs to have metal flakes in the system is not good. As far as the machine goes, it is awesome! For snow removal we use a plow, spreader, broom and pusher on it. Very very versatile. We have found this to be a great asset for our landscape crew as well. We put turf tires on it, and is much better for doing bush ripouts and landscape work. As opposed to our skidsteers the all wheel steering with turf tires leaves little to no rutting. Aside from this current issue, we also had a cracked hydraulic tank on it. If bobcat offers an extended warranty I would suggest taking it.

ProCutCare
03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
We have a 2011 as well.. Has been awesome for snow removal, and landscape projects (not hardscape projects wont lift a heavy pallet). only issue we have had so far is blown lines in tough spots, and the oil cooler went out. The older machines were full of issues (we had an 08 that was a lemon) but i will give bobcat credit in fixing the issues that came up in the past, now they are built to be very reliable machines. Just beware that the lift height is barely better than a toro dingo, it can only load our dump trailers and not our internationals.

city_worker
04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
how many on here have a 2008 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 and are having hyd motor issues? Bobcat is saying there were issues with old motors but none on the new ones. Any info would be great.