PDA

View Full Version : Should I go diesel?

MowinginEureka
01-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Ok so currently I have a gas truck and its eating me alive on gas. My gas bill is 500-800 a month just for this truck, I drive 1000 miles a month. The truck gets 8-9 mpg, which for having the drag of a dump bed and towing a trailer...Not too shabby. I drive 50% highway, rest is as you all know, starting the truck and driving to a new client once every half hour to an hour all day long. So Im wondering, would a diesel be a good idea? I found an 86 F350 diesel for 1200$ with nothing wrong with it other than some rust in the bed. Im gonna put my dump bed in it, so who cares? But Ive heard starting and stopping is bad for diesels because they cant warm up properly? Would that be a problem for what we do? The truck gets warmed up on my 20 minute drive into town...but would it stay warm enough to be started and stopped every half hour to an hour without harming it?

mdlwn1
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
No.........Unless you are driving up hills all the time.

mowerbrad
01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't know much about the diesels from that time, but I doubt its going to have great fuel economy. I think in the early 2000's (2001-2005) probably had the best fuel economy (I've heard upward of 20mpg on the highway for the lb7 dmax's). But that old of a truck, I doubt the fuel economy would be much better than what your getting now.

MowinginEureka
01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Mdlawn1, no to what? No to it not hurting the truck or no would it stay warm enough to not harm it, or no to a diesel? I do have a few hills, a large one, and just a few small ones on my commute in to town. I normally have to drive the truck in 3rd gear with O/D off or else it hunts 3rd to 4th gear constantly.

JPsDuramax
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure about diesels of that era as far as fuel economy, but you may be able to convert it to Waste Vegtable Oil. That you can still find fairly cheap. Just my .02

WH401
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
The Ford of that area isn't an International sourced Powerstroke, they're "in house" built Ford diesels. It would probably either be a 6.9 or a 7.3. Those models don't have that much hp, and their also indirect injected, which can cause them to have a few more issues than direct inject ones, but I think they do ok in the mpg. How ok?, I don't know, can't say it would be hugely better than what you have now. I'm not sure how much your willing to spend, but I wouldn't just jump on the cheapest truck that pops out in front of you. If you've got some money, say 5 - 7k, which yes I know is a lot of money, I would go see if you can find a 93 - 97 Ford Powerstroke (those were the ones sourced from International), or a Dodge w/ the 5.9 Cummins of any year (the 5.9 started in the 89' MY). Either of those models can be had for around those prices and will be more reliable, have better performance, and yield you a better mpg rating, especially on the Dodge.

As far as stopping and starting, as long as you get the engine oil up to temp on your initial drive into your first job for the day than I wouldn't worry to much about it. Diesel farm trucks sometimes spend there whole lives just idling around in 1st gear, so going from stop to stop for you shouldn't be an issue. You can always changes the engine oil early due to severe service, say every 3k instead of 5k.

hosejockey2002
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
The Ford of that area isn't an International sourced Powerstroke, they're "in house" built Ford diesels. It would probably either be a 6.9 or a 7.3.

You're partially correct, those IDI motors are not Powerstrokes, but they are sourced by International, not built by Ford. The '86 would be a 6.9. Good motor in it's day, but no power by today's standards.

WH401
01-14-2010, 12:01 AM
You're partially correct, those IDI motors are not Powerstrokes, but they are sourced by International, not built by Ford. The '86 would be a 6.9. Good motor in it's day, but no power by today's standards.

Touche. Some how it's stuck in my mind that they're made by Ford, when I've been told before that they're Internationals. :laugh:

TXNSLighting
01-14-2010, 12:16 AM
As someone already said, fords diesels have always been Internationals, then in 94 they changed to the Power stroke name. (made them alot better!) The diesels that old got pretty decent fuel economy, but do not like to be turned on and off like this industry demands. You need to find at least a 95+ Powerstroke for this. You can get them pretty cheap now.

DuallyVette
01-14-2010, 12:57 AM
I had a 1986 F350 6.9 International diesel truck.( bought new in Dec 1985) I got 11 mpg pulling a 20 ft enclosed trailer full of mowers around town. I had a 4 speed manual- transmission. The input shaft broke in half w/35,000 miles on it. It was a pretty good truck but stasrted eating brakes, and drums (screwed in just a week).

Cummins343
01-14-2010, 01:01 AM
the 7.3 V8 psd get average gas milage at best. If you wan't a diesel with good gas milage, i suggest a cummins, because their inline 6's.

Gravel Rat
01-14-2010, 01:06 AM
You must have a 460 in your F-250 if your burning that amount of fuel :laugh:

If you want a Ford diesel a 95-97 OBS Fords are not too bad.

The ultimate fuel mileage truck is a cabover with a 4 banger diesel not big on speed but get good mpg.

A 6.9 IDI is slow as mollasis and a 7.3 IDI isn't any better.

Cummins343
01-14-2010, 01:08 AM
You must have a 460 in your F-250 if your burning that amount of fuel :laugh:

If you want a Ford diesel a 95-97 OBS Fords are not too bad.

The ultimate fuel mileage truck is a cabover with a 4 banger diesel not big on speed but get good mpg.

A 6.9 IDI is slow as mollasis and a 7.3 IDI isn't any better.Cabovers are classic! I love 'em!

MowinginEureka
01-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Nope, my truck is a 5.8 351 windsor EFI. I have had 2 of these trucks, one auto and one manual. No matter how much you tune em, the type of driving and drag I have on my trailer and dump bed, you still get 9 mpg at best average. Well, heres an update on the truck...it needs a brake booster, a hood, two tires, vinyl carpet (it has no carpet at all currently), a new seat, the gear indicator doesnt work, headliners fallen down, turn signal flasher is sporadic at best (electrical issue?), windshield wiper knob is missing, it has some weird aftermarket turn signal strapped to the steering column, the holes in the bed are pretty big (has grass growing in the bed and moss in-between the dually fenders/body), has the dirtiest running engine I have ever seen, and its the less desirable 3 speed automatic. I'm starting to think its not worth 1200 bucks for me...probably more like 700. Plus the posts on here lead me to believe it might not be good for the engine to use it the way I do for this year. I wish I had money for a powerstroke, but 1-2k is all I have. Maybe I will just buy a little Ford Ranger and use it as my second truck(hauling spray pesticide, bidding jobs, etc...) and keep my f250 for towing instead.

S&S Outdoor Services
01-14-2010, 02:49 AM
As much as I love my diesel (cummins) I wouldn't suggest buying a diesel for a lawn truck unless your hauling a lot of weight. As of yesterday, we're running 3 trucks, two gas and my diesel. Eventually we'll phase out the half ton gas truck for a 1 ton dually, but the 3/4 gas will stay as the lawn truck. We use two trucks for landscaping and one for lawns. We end up making a lot of stops in my diesel anyways but I've already replaced the started in the 8 months I've had it. Who knows how many miles I'm taking off it's life though.

Also, if you're buying any kind of diesel for $1200.00, you're just asking for a money pit. I paid $4900 for mine 8 months ago and it's already had around $3000 in work done and is going in on Monday for another 2k of work. I think with a diesel you can either pay $15,000 up front for a nice one or pay $15,000 over time in repairs (not to mention the cost of down time if it's your only truck). Hope this helps- Sam

WH401
01-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Nope, my truck is a 5.8 351 windsor EFI. I have had 2 of these trucks, one auto and one manual. No matter how much you tune em, the type of driving and drag I have on my trailer and dump bed, you still get 9 mpg at best average. Well, heres an update on the truck...it needs a brake booster, a hood, two tires, vinyl carpet (it has no carpet at all currently), a new seat, the gear indicator doesnt work, headliners fallen down, turn signal flasher is sporadic at best (electrical issue?), windshield wiper knob is missing, it has some weird aftermarket turn signal strapped to the steering column, the holes in the bed are pretty big (has grass growing in the bed and moss in-between the dually fenders/body), has the dirtiest running engine I have ever seen, and its the less desirable 3 speed automatic. I'm starting to think its not worth 1200 bucks for me...probably more like 700. Plus the posts on here lead me to believe it might not be good for the engine to use it the way I do for this year. I wish I had money for a powerstroke, but 1-2k is all I have. Maybe I will just buy a little Ford Ranger and use it as my second truck(hauling spray pesticide, bidding jobs, etc...) and keep my f250 for towing instead.

With those kind of problems I would pass on it. If your going to have to spend more to fix it than what you originally paid for it than it isn't worth it. Save your money, if you can, and look for a 94 - 97 Ford Powerstroke or 89'+ Dodge Cummins of any year.

LB1234
01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Ok so currently I have a gas truck and its eating me alive on gas. My gas bill is 500-800 a month just for this truck, I drive 1000 miles a month. The truck gets 8-9 mpg, which for having the drag of a dump bed and towing a trailer...Not too shabby. I drive 50% highway, rest is as you all know, starting the truck and driving to a new client once every half hour to an hour all day long. So Im wondering, would a diesel be a good idea? I found an 86 F350 diesel for 1200$ with nothing wrong with it other than some rust in the bed. Im gonna put my dump bed in it, so who cares? But Ive heard starting and stopping is bad for diesels because they cant warm up properly? Would that be a problem for what we do? The truck gets warmed up on my 20 minute drive into town...but would it stay warm enough to be started and stopped every half hour to an hour without harming it?

how much is gas by you? 1,000 miles a month at 8mpg and a $500 per month fuel bill on this truck comes out to be around 4 bucks. If the bill is 800 a month fuel is around six. 8-9 mpg I don't think is bad...especially if pulling a trailer. my chevy with the 8L gas only gets 6-7 depending on what I'm pulling and if I'm really lucky with the tailgate down and cruise control going on hte highway I can get 10...well like 9.7 but i like to say 10 so its a dbl digit.

MowinginEureka
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Gas here is about 4.00-4.49...on avg. Right now I think its like 4.09? Anyhow. yeah 8-9 isnt bad, but even 1 mpg would save me 50-75 bucks a month alone. 2 mpg would be 100-150. My old boss had the exact same setup as I and with a 94 Ford f250 ext cab automatic diesel(no turbo) he got 15-17 mpg. Granted he towed only about 3/4 of the time, but still! Im juts going to save my money, that one has a few more problems than I want. I also do not think Im going to get a pre powerstroke diesel. Thanks!

Kickin Your Grass
01-14-2010, 04:42 PM

I would keep the gas truck. I had a 07 Chevy with the small V-8 and was pulling a 16" enclosed trailer and was getting 8.50 mpg. The truck sucked at pulling the trailer! I could barely keep it at 70mph on the freeway. I traded it in for a 06 F-250 Crewcab with the 6.0 Powerstroke. My new truck pulls the trailer like nothings back there, but I only get between 9.25 and 9.75 mpg. I thought for sure I would get way better on gas milage.

TXNSLighting
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
the 7.3 V8 psd get average gas milage at best. If you wan't a diesel with good gas milage, i suggest a cummins, because their inline 6's.

Well of course a powerstroke wont get good gas mileage..its a diesel! And they dont get average fuel mileage. 7.3's do well.

mdlwn1
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
That 351 is a 200k+ motor..easily....

mdlwn1
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM

No ...in this circumstance given what you said.....stay with gas.

MowinginEureka
01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I can also work on a 351...a diesel, no idea...But when I said I get 8-0 mpg...thats going 50-55, thats the speed limit here for trucks with trailers. Also, half my drive is a 50 zone...still a highway...just a slow one....Ugh. So yeah, if I was going 70...I imagine I would get even less. But I am towing a 10 foot trailer with waterlogged wood... Prob weighs a ton or more...just the trailer. Plus equipment...plus dump bed....plus a load of grass...2 people...lotta weight.

mini14
01-14-2010, 11:42 PM
that idi non turbo 6.9 turd will cost u a ton in repairs down the road.