PDA

View Full Version : Question about mower lifts

Big C
01-13-2010, 03:31 AM
How many of you guys use mower lifts/jacks? And will it cause any long term damage to the mower to constantly lift it by the deck?

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 04:28 AM
I hope not. I've been using a floor jack to lift my Dixie up by the deck for a very long time. I can't see where it's done any damage at all.

Big C
01-13-2010, 08:35 AM
I hope not. I've been using a floor jack to lift my Dixie up by the deck for a very long time. I can't see where it's done any damage at all.

I don't know...it is just the thought that scares me....I don't want to throw my deck out of wack supporting the weight of a 1200lb mower.

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't know...it is just the thought that scares me....I don't want to throw my deck out of wack supporting the weight of a 1200lb mower.

Then don't do it.

I look at it this way. If that deck isn't strong enough to lift the front of a mower (around 4 to 5 hundred pounds) then what will happen if you hit something with the deck. Remember, the bulk of the weight on the front of a mower comes from the deck it's self.

I'd be willing to bet that if you removed the deck from most ZTRs, one man could lift the front by himself.

Richard Martin
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Then don't do it.

I look at it this way. If that deck isn't strong enough to lift the front of a mower (around 4 to 5 hundred pounds) then what will happen if you hit something with the deck. When lifting a mower you're only lifting 1 g of weight. In a 2 mph frontal sudden stop you're only generating about 3/4 G or 3/4 of the weight of the mower. At 5 mph you're generating about 6 G or 6 times the weight of the mower. At 10 mph it's around 12 G. Now if most mowers can withstand that then I think you're safe to lift up the mower by the deck.

Also remember, the bulk of the weight on the front of a mower comes from the deck it's self.

I'd be willing to bet that if you removed the deck from most ZTRs, one man could lift the front by himself.

Ref: http://www.forcon.com/lina.htm

br549oicu8
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
We've been using lifts for years with no problems.
I just ordered a new MOJACK (heaviest model) and am looking forward to seeing how it helps the crews. It lifts the tires instead of the deck.