PDA

View Full Version : 30hp diesel going on a Exmark Metro 48"?

MikeKle
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I was out looking at the Yanmar 30hp 3cyl diesel engine I have from an old gravely outfront mower. It is recently rebuilt and doesnt leak a drop of anything! and purrs like a kitten too. I am thinking what to do with it? I decided to try to mount it to one of my WBs! I think size wise, it will fit ok with some fabrication, but it is a horz. shaft, and the WB needs a vertical shaft to go thru the engine frame to reach the pulleys. I guess I could use a 90 degree angle gear box to get the shaft vertical, but also have to mount the big radiator and the full size truck battery! This would be one powerful mower with that engine! It should work OK with alot of modificaton though? OR maybe I should try it with a larger WB? What do you all think, is it worth trying? I would mount it to my ferris DD, but that i salmost brand new and really do not want to go installing different engines on it yet.

DT Lawn Care
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
I was out looking at the Yanmar 30hp 3cyl diesel engine I have from an old gravely outfront mower. It is recently rebuilt and doesnt leak a drop of anything! and purrs like a kitten too. I am thinking what to do with it? I decided to try to mount it to one of my WBs! I think size wise, it will fit ok with some fabrication, but it is a horz. shaft, and the WB needs a vertical shaft to go thru the engine frame to reach the pulleys. I guess I could use a 90 degree angle gear box to get the shaft vertical, but also have to mount the big radiator and the full size truck battery! This would be one powerful mower with that engine! It should work OK with alot of modificaton though? OR maybe I should try it with a larger WB? What do you all think, is it worth trying? I would mount it to my ferris DD, but that i salmost brand new and really do not want to go installing different engines on it yet.

I probably wouldn't do it on a Metro, I would either go for a 60" Hydro walk behind or better yet a ZTR, as most commercial ZTRs take horizontal shafts. 30 hp would be wayyyy overkill for a 48 belt, my 50 gets by just great with a 15 hp. But sounds like an interesting project! Good Luck

jkilov
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I probably wouldn't do it on a Metro, I would either go for a 60" Hydro walk behind or better yet a ZTR, as most commercial ZTRs take horizontal shafts. 30 hp would be wayyyy overkill for a 48 belt, my 50 gets by just great with a 15 hp. But sounds like an interesting project! Good Luck

I second that. This engine would suit a full-size ZTR like a turf tiger which accepts a horizontal shaft engine, has a deck that can make use of 30hp and durability that matches the engine in question.

Yanmar makes great engines and most of their diesels are lighter than the competition.

jvanvliet
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree doesn't make much sense on a metro - lotta HP for a 48" Would make more sense on the LAZER series; a 60" deck ormore. Though I wouldn't mind one on a 52" deck

MikeKle
01-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Would a 90 degree angled type gear box transfer 100% of the power from the engine? This is the only way I can think of to convert a horz. shaft to a vertical shaft though, Any other ways to do it? I think it would work, but this set-up would take up alot of room too. I guess I could go out and find an old ZTR with a blown engine and mount the diesel to that, but I wonder what the results would be from a WB with a 48" to a 61" deck with that much power going to it, yeah, go ahead and call me tim taylor if you must! It would be nothing short of incredible! I have also thought many times about trying to build a mower from scratch, a mower that has all the little things I would like in a mower, It may be a HUGE WB, or a ZTR, or some sort of stander? It would cost some money to do this, so it would be a project for the long term future, but the engine isnt eating anything now and isnt costing me anything to let it sit out in the garage, so it may be best to let it sit for now until I have the scratch to build with.