PDA

View Full Version : Standard Operating Guidelines (SOG's)

DeepGreenLawn
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I am looking at hiring my first full-time employee this year and was wanting to put together a sort of SOG. This is a Standard Operating Guideline, which just tells you what to do in certain situations.

Does anyone have something that I could possibly look at to help me get my own started?

Thanks,

SangerLawn
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
In this business it is hard to do that because every job is different. I have my guys sign a sheet every year saying they understand the basic rules with the basic rules listed. Im not gonna pull a sheet out but will list a few of them.

No smoking on a customers property (I smoke also but not on a customers property)

No bad language or dirty jokes at any point during work hours. (if they get in the habbit of this you wont have to worry about employees offending customers)

If you break it you bought it (accidents happen and that’s why we have insurance but if something gets broken because of neglect I deduct it out of there paychecks)

If you are calling in sick I need at least a 2 hour notice or a doctor’s note.

Open for random drug tests as required by DOT

There is no limit to duties….you need to add this one or you WILL have problems down the road if you take a landscaping job and your employee only wants to ride around on a mower…been down this road to many times

MAKE SURE THEY SIGN OFF THAT THEY UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE GOING TO 1099 THEM!!!! MAKE SURE TO VERBALY TELL THEM AS WELL AS HAVING THEM SIGN A PAPER SHOWING THEY UNDERSTAND IT

Theres more but I cant remember them off hand…think theres like a total of 15 or 20 things

I did have an attorney right up a no compete sheet for them to sign. It basically says if your employees leaves for any reason he/she can not work for anyone else or for there self for 2 years. I had several employees leave and go to work for someone else but I have never acted on this because I feel it is ******ed HOWEVER if the x employee ever takes one of my customers that employee will wind up in a law suit.

albhb3
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
. It basically says if your employees leaves for any reason he/she can not work for anyone else or for there self for 2 years..
Um im pretty sure thats illigal you cannot force someone to not work for someone else been down that road and well....someones pockets got a little thicker

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
^ I believe that is true, I like the idea of they can't start a business within 2 years.

DeepGreenLawn
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Some states don't allow non-compete clauses from what I understand.

silverado212
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
It can happen. My wife works for the largest hair salon in the city. They sign a contract at time of hire.
Basically a no compete, but it is thorough.
If remaining in the business:
Can't Advertise your location
Can't do business other than with them for period of one year
All within a 7 mile radius of the location you left
They have and will sue anyone that violates it.
Pretty chitty IMO when 2 years ago the owner made $7 mil gross and was voted top female business woman in the city.

1idejim
01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Some states don't allow non-compete clauses from what I understand.

non competition clause's limit them from going into business against you in the same marketplace, you can't tell them they can't work as an employee for your competition. been there, done that. :)

SangerLawn
01-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Um im pretty sure thats illigal you cannot force someone to not work for someone else been down that road and well....someones pockets got a little thicker

As I said….IT BASICALY SAYS….. and I also said I am not pulling out the sheets to copy them….it does say they can not open a business in the same field for 2 years if they leave my company and something along the lines of they can not give out my customers info or my pricing to a competitor….

Guess I should have made it a little clearer. I thought I was giving ideas and not writing the forms for you guys lol

DeepGreenLawn
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
All of your info from everyone has been very helpful.