PDA

View Full Version : BOBCAT CONTROLS WHAT DO YOU PREFER SJC,ACS or OG

toomuchtime
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Im about to pull the trigger on a used machine t300 or t250. I just dont know how important the sjc control system is. About 5% of the used machines have it very hard to find! Whats your take on it other then the comfort level how important are the controls. I plan on doing mostly light excavating,trenching,road maintenance and brushing with this machince with possibly some mulching depending on the demand in my area. Whats your take?

mrsops
01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Im about to pull the trigger on a used machine t300 or t250. I just dont know how important the sjc control system is. About 5% of the used machines have it very hard to find! Whats your take on it other then the comfort level how important are the controls. I plan on doing mostly light excavating,trenching,road maintenance and brushing with this machince with possibly some mulching depending on the demand in my area. Whats your take?

What year are you looking at?

toomuchtime
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
There is two T250's one 2008 and one 2006 both gold package with sjc controls one has 700 hours the other 1100 one is 28k the other is 25K both are highflo.

The 2006 t300 has 1400 hours new tracks and gold package 29K standard controls high flo.

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I have an '08 joystick s330 machine. I like it compared to my old pedals and sticks. I tried a t320 with sticks and felt like it was a lot of work after using joysticks for a year. I also like the ability to dial down my speed and adjust the sensitivity of the controls. I can also swap between H pattern and ISO.

mrsops
01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I like the hand and foot controls but then again thats what i learned on. I feel you get the most out of the machine power wise when pushing with a hand and foot machine. I like joysticks to and bobcat has FIXED that delay crap years ago so thats not an issue. Maybe my next machine i will look into the joysticks

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Sometiimes i'm in my machine 5 hour straight without a pee break. I like having the hand controls as I have more room in the floor for my feet and when my legs get cramped I can lift them out of the foot wells.

I was thinking. Though the footwells get cramped, the new Bobcat's don't have them? I like them because it helps me "get a grip" when working on side hill or rough terrain. I can lock my feet down there where the pedals/footplates are and help steady myself. Hmmm. It just occured to me why I felt "loose" in my Cat 272c.

bobcat_ron
01-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Go with SJC, how antiquated is it to control a machine with 80+ hp and move 2500 pounds of loader capacity around with 2 push sticks and foot pedals, even the smallest of mini excavators have pilot controls, and some of them can barely struggle to lift 1000 pounds with 20 hp.

Step up to the real world and get away from Bobcat's stone age controls.

ioilyouin
01-13-2010, 05:06 PM
The olde style controls give more control and feel, but they will wear you. Who's operating the machine? Someone new will pick up on the SJC's much quicker.

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
The olde style controls give more control and feel, but they will wear you. .

Exactly. I have leg muscles and arm muscles to prove that but I was sore as hell after a long day. Now all I get is carpal tunnel syndrome but i can live with numb hands! :)

SellingIron
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Stone Age Controls: More control of power when you are around homes etc. Less to go wrong down the road. Gives you a great work out. (Cancel your gym membership) Save money right there!!!!!:weightlifter:

SJC: Won't wear you out, Smooth, speed control (needed for some attachments), Cost more to replace down the road..You can drive with one hand and drink beer with another...:drinkup:

ARP
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
After learning how to run Bobcats with the "stone age controls," I knew that when I bought a machine it would be one with joysticks (SJC). You get a lot less wear and tear on your body (particulary your knees), with the SJC controls which translates into a much more enjoyable work experience. I do a lot of mulching and grapple work with a T320 and would be lost without the joystick controls. I would also be very sore after spending 10+ hrs in my machine every day :rolleyes:

ARP
01-13-2010, 05:52 PM
BTW- I have not felt that I have lost control in precise work with joystick controls. I actually feel like I have more control and can multitask better than I could with the regular controls. Picture using a grapple on a T320 like a big hand to pick apart tangled piles of brush- I'm very confident that I will work faster and smoother in this type of task with joysticks that someone else who has traditional controls. I also just started teaching two people how to start running my machine and it seems like joysticks are a lot more intuitive to learn than the dual pedals and "rowing paddles" of the traditional controls. A lot less the mind has to work through learning two controls than four controls.

bobcatexc
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
This is a long old battle just like Backhoe Vs Excavator controls, but I will had my two cents. I've ran all 3 styles of skidsteer controls and have the old school style (hand/foot) in my own bobcat and still say like others you get more power and precise grading and machine control out of hand/foot controls. I like to grade as fast as the machine will go and I feel I can control it better up against houses and drives, etc. I also don't like the delay you have when grading with joystick controls I 've used, by the time the machine reacts your done past it. The joysticks are definatley alot easier for a newbie to learn on I see alot of hotrods running around with joysticks just bucketing dirt but don't know how to really run a skidsteer, but thats another topic. I do understand what some say about easier on the body, seems every year something elso starts hurting. If it was just my employees running it everyday I would definately go with hand/foot less to go wrong with it and I'm sure it's cheaper than joysticks. If your going to be running it everyday you may want to look at joysticks, at some point down the road I will look at joystick controls again if they've got any better.

mrsops
01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
This is a long old battle just like Backhoe Vs Excavator controls, but I will had my two cents. I've ran all 3 styles of skidsteer controls and have the old school style (hand/foot) in my own bobcat and still say like others you get more power and precise grading and machine control out of hand/foot controls. I like to grade as fast as the machine will go and I feel I can control it better up against houses and drives, etc. I also don't like the delay you have when grading with joystick controls I 've used, by the time the machine reacts your done past it. The joysticks are definatley alot easier for a newbie to learn on I see alot of hotrods running around with joysticks just bucketing dirt but don't know how to really run a skidsteer, but thats another topic. I do understand what some say about easier on the body, seems every year something elso starts hurting. If it was just my employees running it everyday I would definately go with hand/foot less to go wrong with it and I'm sure it's cheaper than joysticks. If your going to be running it everyday you may want to look at joysticks, at some point down the road I will look at joystick controls again if they've got any better.

Amen brother

Twitchy
01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I currently have hand and foot controls in my s250, because that's what i learned on yrs ago. My next machine will certainly have joysticks. The hand and foot controls are murder if you spend all day in the machine.

mrsops
01-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I currently have hand and foot controls in my s250, because that's what i learned on. My next machine will certainly have joysticks. The hand and foot controls are murder if you spend all day in the machine.

twitchy where's the snow?? Gonna be 45 here on friday what a joke

YellowDogSVC
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
BTW- I have not felt that I have lost control in precise work with joystick controls. I actually feel like I have more control and can multitask better than I could with the regular controls. Picture using a grapple on a T320 like a big hand to pick apart tangled piles of brush- I'm very confident that I will work faster and smoother in this type of task with joysticks that someone else who has traditional controls. I also just started teaching two people how to start running my machine and it seems like joysticks are a lot more intuitive to learn than the dual pedals and "rowing paddles" of the traditional controls. A lot less the mind has to work through learning two controls than four controls.

I like to think I was the best when I had hand/foot. I've only been using hand controls since April '08. I had over 10,000 hrs. on hand/foot and last year my knees really started to hurt (doesn't help being overweight). I feel like i am still learning with the handcontrols and still find myself wanting to use my feet. I imagine I'll get better but it's tough to unlearn what you did for so long.

Junior M
01-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I am like most everyone else, I learned on hand foot controls but have ran and spent a decent amount of time behind joysticks.

There were things I liked about both. But I also had some dislikes of both.

I'd most definetly go with joysticks if you plan on spending any decent amount of time in the machine doing things where you are mostly traveling(not loader work) but mulching, bush hogging, things like that..

toomuchtime
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I understand the fatigue ive only ran hand/foot controls with exception of a asv machine but maybe2-3 hours on. Joysticks are new to me. I guess above and beyond the joystick controls my concern was he precesion with attachments with the sjc control system and the other features that come along with this option

ksss
01-14-2010, 01:46 AM

At least you guys got some snow. What a shitty Winter for snow.

mrsops
01-14-2010, 06:50 AM
At least you guys got some snow. What a shitty Winter for snow.

Ksss I mean this is crazy they were talking about FLORIDA getting snow the other day!! What about us? I spent more time and money putting plows on and off then you can imagine.

RockSet N' Grade
01-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I am old and cranky.......everything still works, but not as good when I was 20 something..........pilots all the way!
As far as snow, its all my fault! I went and bought a snow blower and because of that - we have no snow whatsoever! There are still rocks showing through on the ski slopes......so much for Utah's slogan of "Greatest Snow on Earth".

Premier Landscaping
01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I do not think that foot controls are more precise in any way, and as far as lag I'm assuming some of you have any used anything other then older bobcat iso controls which were terrible. I did a job this year and the general had a S220 with SJC not sure what year 07 I think and they were the worst iso controls I have ever used, they were not precise at all and I would stay at least a foot away from anything I did not want to hit if I had to use that. machine Now my bobcat salesman here said the M series finally got it right, so I will probly demo one this summer to see. My B series cats have no lag IMO and are right there with any movement. I demoed a couple C series cats, and they seem to have some lag to me. Anyone else experience this? I think its because of the electric over hydraulic now, not sure but I did not like them, they were alot slower then the B series. My salesman told me they slowed them down and put adjustments on them becuase alot of people complained the B series were too fast.

YellowDogSVC
01-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I am old and cranky.......everything still works, but not as good when I was 20 something..........pilots all the way!
As far as snow, its all my fault! I went and bought a snow blower and because of that - we have no snow whatsoever! There are still rocks showing through on the ski slopes......so much for Utah's slogan of "Greatest Snow on Earth".

I think Houston got your snow!

Twitchy
01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Planned on an getting a 8ft pusher (pro tech) for the skid, but hell i'm not going to pick it up w/ no anticipated snow fall. Otherwise it's just going to sit in the yard. This weather is crazy. Guess i'll take down my christmas lights.

mrsops
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Planned on an getting a 8ft pusher (pro tech) for the skid, but hell i'm not going to pick it up w/ no anticipated snow fall. Otherwise it's just going to sit in the yard. This weather is crazy. Guess i'll take down my christmas lights.

Yeah big news 47 now on saturday and there saying sunday night into monday maybe 1'' of snow.. WOW thats a big one