PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Exhaust and acessories.

Ben's Landscape
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I am looking to upgrade the exhaust on my ford to true dual 3 inch with the crome tips and such. I think it would be cool looking because the only duals i have seen on diesels are stacks. I want the exhaust to run either straight out the back or have like a 45 deg. bend so that they run out the corners of the bed right before the bumper.

What should I do for mufflers and such to get the most power but still be legal. I don't know if R.I. allows straight pipes or not. I am trying to increase my MPG and get a little more power. Is this possible for this truck??

What other acessories could I do to boast power and get better MPG. BTW its a non turbo diesel. I dnt really want to spend the money for a turbo right now. Thanks

JPsDuramax
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I would recommend looking at Banks. I have a single 4" on my Duramax as well as a Banks Cold Air Intake. It added a little bit to the MPG but I also have my foot in it more. If you don't go with a kit, you can have custom 3" duals put in with mufflers from Flomaster, Summits, or something similar. I'm not sure how available 3" diesel mufflers are though. You may have to increase your size. Hope that helps

TXNSLighting
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeh its going to be hard to find diesel exhaust under 3.5". But i think it should help a bit. Straight pipe it and be happy! Or just go with Aero Turbine.

westcoh
01-14-2010, 01:55 AM
To really gain much, you'll have to straight pipe it, which would mean getting rid of the catalytic convertor which isn't legal for on-road use. I don't know how strict they enforce that around where you are.

I just put a mbrp 4" straight pipe on my duramax and it really helped wake the truck up. I love the sound of it now too.

S&S Outdoor Services
01-14-2010, 02:57 AM
I had custom 4" dual exhaust built for cummins that y's out after the muffler. Nobody in my area could bend that size pipe so heart throb had to bend it and ship it here. With that and a new muffler it cost me $1050 with no tips or anything special. It was a straight 4" pipe but it sounded like a damn Mack truck so I figured I could spare a little HP to hear myself think while driving it. The power loss is a little noticeable but not terrible because it's a high flow muffler. You might save some money by going with a single 4" pipe and y it to duals but I think 3" might be a little small even with true duals. Just my two cents. - Sam

Ben's Landscape
01-14-2010, 07:13 AM
I just was thinking 3" because if I went with the stock kit autozone pulled my truck up on the comp. and it came up as a 2.5 inch and that is what is on the truck. A single 2.5 inch. So I figure I am losing some power with that.

Can I go with just a regular muffler or do I need a diesel muffler. I don't think there is a Cat. on my truck!

S&S Outdoor Services
01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
I honestly don't know if you need a diesel muffler or not. I can tell you the one that's on my truck is twice as big as anything I've ever seen on a gas vehicle. And yes... anything would be better than 2.5 inch. The more a diesel can breathe, the better; there's not a whole lot of concern for back pressure like there is for gas trucks. I figure if you can get an 8 inch pipe down there, why not. Bigger the better as long as you can afford it.
My Dodge had a Cat a long time ago but from what I'm told is it does nothing more than a muffler. Diesels already run clean enough to pass an emissions test with out a cat. Don't quote me on that, but I had two of my shops tell me the same thing.

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
duals on diesels are gay you only need one.

pitrack
01-16-2010, 02:18 AM
duals on diesels are gay you only need one.

Not always.

S&S Outdoor Services
01-16-2010, 04:56 AM
duals are different.. everybody's got either one big pipe or stacks. Stacks are cool but I'll leave that for highschool kids. Plus if you've got something in the bed (grass clippings, leaves, etc.) it could start on fire, not to mention the lost bed space. I like my duals.

pitrack
01-16-2010, 02:13 PM
duals are different.. everybody's got either one big pipe or stacks. Stacks are cool but I'll leave that for highschool kids. Plus if you've got something in the bed (grass clippings, leaves, etc.) it could start on fire, not to mention the lost bed space. I like my duals.

I myself only have one pipe, but I have seen duals on a diesel look nice.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_0105.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_0273.jpg

S&S Outdoor Services
01-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Nice looking trucks you've got there. Didn't mean to talk trash about your single exhaust, anything aftermarket is cool.

pitrack
01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice looking trucks you've got there. Didn't mean to talk trash about your single exhaust, anything aftermarket is cool.

Oh none taken man, I was just saying sometimes duals look good, and sometimes only a single looks good. All comes down to what the driver wants, and of course what sounds the meanest:laugh:

jimmyjack
01-17-2010, 02:38 PM
dual 3 inch is fine on a non turbo diesel, its a non turbo so all u can really do for better mpg's is put a k/n in it and open the exhaust up .....as for a muffler got with a flowmaster or something similar , their quite but dont restrict it

tnmtn
01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
do you have an aftermarket turbo on your truck? without a turbo i think your gains would be minimal. you may also want to check out www.oilburners.com they have a great forum on idi diesels and would have some good advice for you.
good luck,

Ben's Landscape
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
thanks. is the flowmaster ok for diesel??

yeah i know my gains would be minimal.

tnmtn is your 94' turbo??

Ben's Landscape
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I just searched around and found out that every company i looked at online did not have anything for a 7.3L non turbo. Flowmaster and gibson exhausts look nice.

jimmyjack
01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
yeah a flowmaster is fine for a diesel... a muffler is a muffler, u just want one that is pretty open on the inside ,like a flowmaster....u just want to eliminate the drone of being straight piped

tnmtn
01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
no, mine is not a turbo. it does fine for my needs and in truth never had a problem with it as is. i have bigger trucks for heavier weght towing. this truck just seems to go and go with very little in repairs. i don't want to jinx it by trying to turn it into something it's not. over 260,000 miles on it. if this engine ever blows i'll replace it with a crate idi w/ turbo. but till then it is what it is.
good luck,

Ben's Landscape
01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks. I figure by doing exhaust I am not changeing enough to have a problem. tnmtn what are you getting for miliage out of ur 350??

tnmtn
01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
17 mpg empty, highway or city. light load (300 gal. hydroseeder)drops to about 14-15

Ben's Landscape
01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
17 mpg empty, highway or city. light load (300 gal. hydroseeder)drops to about 14-15

Really? Mine im lucky to get 14 city and mayb lucky 16 highway. do you think the injectors could be bad?

I went to a custom exhaust shop im gna get the 3 inch single to a muffler to do duals at 2.5 a piece and 3.5 tips (stainless).

I went to a auto parts store and a factor replacement pipes and muffler was the same price with out the tips!!

Junior M
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
dont mess with your injectors until they go out..

All the guys I know that have messed with injectors have had problems afterwards..

Ben's Landscape
01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
I was thinking of just doin new factory replacements

Junior M
01-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I was thinking of just doin new factory replacements
are you sure thats the problem though? Whats the saying, dont mess with it unless its broke?

Fuel mileage can vary alot in a diesel just by the way you drive..

Cummins343
01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
just get a 4'' turbo back system with a 5" tip

Ben's Landscape
01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
are you sure thats the problem though? Whats the saying, dont mess with it unless its broke?

Fuel mileage can vary alot in a diesel just by the way you drive..

If i drive nice and slow my miliage is the same if i drive fast.

I wish i could do a turbo back but i do not have a turbo.

Blueribbonlawns
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Only thing your going to gain is quicker spool up time and noise.