PDA

View Full Version : necrotic ring disease

barefoot lawns
05-27-2002, 09:51 AM
Does anyone have a good solution for treating necrotic ring disease.

GroundKprs
05-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Best you can do is learn all you can about it. Start at http://www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/BP/BP-116-W.pdf . And there's a lot more out there.

The chemical controls are expensive, and probably not a great success rate in your area so prone to the problem. Look at the cultural management of problem sites to improve your success. WI and MN are the center of the disease pressure. Your state extension service should have some help for you.

Around here the patch diseases just run a five year cycle. Years 1 and 5 are noticeable, 2 and 4 are ugly, and year 3 is a disaster. Like all of nature, there is an ebb and flow of any organism, but your area is especially a problem for necrotic ring spot.

f350
05-28-2002, 10:32 PM
I fight this every year. apply a full organic fert at a 1# rate.
i use ringer but milorganite works pretty good 2

MJB
05-29-2002, 12:39 AM
Try this I've done it for yrs and it helps. I take amonium sulfate and sprinkle it heavily into the already dead or dying section of the ring. If you catch it early when the ring is very skinny you can stop it from getting worse. It seems to burn the fungus, or something because it tends to stop the ring from dying out completely. I also fertilize using ammonium sulfate only, on these lawns that have necrotic ring spot . Experiment for your self, it's cheap and effective.