PDA

View Full Version : Efficency concern for ZTR

tthomass
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I've got my eyes on a nice, used 52" Exmark ZTR. I already have a couple walkbehinds. I'm looking at the ZTR because #1 they're faster, #2 I've run across a great deal..........but here is my concern:

They're good for flat areas and decent slopes but a lot of lawns have drainage swales/ditches in the front yard that cannot be mowed with the ZTR. So, my guys would have to park the ZTR, get out the walkbehind, mow the ditch and load everything up. We're talking .3-.5 acre lots.

Where's the benefit? Feedback? Thanks.

sehitchman
01-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I think the biggest benefit would be the reduced wear and tear on you physically.

Lugnut
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
how many guys are out in a crew? If you have more than one, then one guy gets on the z, one guy mows the swale with the wb and then trims. In the end you will save time. This is how we work.

topsites
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Iin my opinion it's nice to have, kind of like a Corvette.

tthomass
01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
2 guys on the crew.........one mowing, one trimming

Mickhippy
01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Couldnt the Z mow most of the ditch, then trim the bottom/wet areas? Ifs its not wet youd be surprised where a ztr can go.
Example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4TowkVcclw

LandscapeSavannah
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
You would be suprised at some of the ditches and slopes I have mowed on a toro 52" with the deck pedal.

jkilov
01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
For 0.3-0.5 acre lots you're OK if not better of with a WB. Get a quality sulky that can be hung or easily detached when mowing slopes.

Grass Shark
01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Is it smart to tell somebody who is not used to riding a z that he will be suprised how far he can push it...I hope it has ROPS? Nobody asked what size the ditch is, and has he ever driven a Z? If the grass is wet it could be devestating.

If your not used to driving a Z, and it is a decent ditch, you better learn the mowers reaction on hills building up from small to big before you tackle anything big, better to be safe than sorry.

tthomass
01-14-2010, 10:38 PM
As for myself, I'm experienced. As for mowing, I have no intentions of mowing because I'm hiring qualified people to do it for me.