PDA

View Full Version : zero turn hp

howiecuts
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I am looking at a 35 hp scag turf tiger and was wanting to know if there is a disadvantage to having something with so much hp. Riding hills, turning and tearing up grass, etc.

JimQ
01-14-2010, 04:52 PM
In my mind the only possible down side to a high HP engine is fuel consumption.

In tough cutting conditions, more power translates to more productivity. You'll be glad you've got it.

Q

Mike Blevins
01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
The only downside to a 35 hp Turf Tiger would be the gasoline consumption. But the power out weighs that from what I have heard on here and around the guys I know that use them. As far as hills the Turf Tiger is one of if not the best ztr on the market for hills. If its tearing the turf with wheel spin your worried about, Scag has that covered too as the handles are "dampened" so you don't have that "jerky" quick take off. Its all a learning curve. A few hours under belt and you see what I mean. :usflag:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Only disadvantage would be if you are just buying the machine because it has 'marbles'. If you are just buying the biggest baddest machine for the heck of it, then it is a disadvantage as it will suck gas. If you matched your workload up to the machine, then you are fine.

Grass Shark
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Fuel Consumption, I agree with DA Quality Lawns

howiecuts
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
thank you for the response. I am torn between that 61' 35 hp scag at $8500 w/60 hrs. 4hrs from my house from a person. Or a new exmark 25hp, 60' lazer z from a dealer for $8599 5 minutes from my house. I will be cutting about 12 baseball fields and 3 football fields.

Mike Blevins
01-14-2010, 07:56 PM
thank you for the response. I am torn between that 61' 35 hp scag at $8500 w/60 hrs. 4hrs from my house from a person. Or a new exmark 25hp, 60' lazer z from a dealer for $8599 5 minutes from my house. I will be cutting about 12 baseball fields and 3 football fields.

Horspepower between these two choices isn't really comparible. The 25 will be underpowered on the Exmark. Especially compared to the 35 Briggs. That is a good price on the Turf Tiger also. HOWEVER warranties aren't transferable on ZTRS so if you want warranty then you got to go with the new Exmark. But if its power and bulletproof you want go withthe Scag.

SouthSide Cutter
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I listen to some on here and just dont believe you need that much hp. Ive got a TT with the 29 Kaw DFI. And its plenty. And as far as Diesels go just dont think they are worth it. I would hate to put gas in a 35hp gas mower,
And everyone says they cut at 12 to 13mph. I can cut wide open but only on smooth going and its not as good a cut as a slower speed. And anybody who says anything else is just full of chit.

puppypaws
01-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Buy the Scag and don't look back, it will be 40% more productive. The 35 want burn a great deal more fuel than the 25. The reason being the 35 want use the governor 10% of the time a 25 will. The 35 will take the damp larger grass with ease whereas the 25 will be in a dead strain in the same cutting.

I can promise if you run both mowers for one week you would not think about keeping the 25 Exmark over the 35 TT and I would bet on that. If you are cutting in perfect conditions 100% of the time, dry grass, taking 2" off 5" at all times, then there would not be as much productivity difference, maybe 20%. This is usually not the case, you will need to mow damp grass that is larger than you really wanted, but nothing you could do to change the situation. Then the 35 TT will eat the 25 Exmark alive, it would actually cut circles around it.

rcslawncare
01-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Get the bigger HP, unless the warranty is really important.